KANYE- Most important rapper since Pac? Or EVER?

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    this disaster shined a light on deep south grinding poverty, government mismanagement and negligence of a largely black city's interests and ever present racial double standards.

This needs to be engraved on a monument somewhere.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Kanye is my new idol

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Kanye is my new idol

TheMack I still haven't forgiven you for auctioning off that Curtis Fuller without informing me that you had it first! if it weren't for a good cause, I would disown you completely.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    lol sorry dude. didnt know you wanted it. but it didnt end yet, so go bid! it's for a good cause!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Carlton Banks?

Or as faux_rillz once said of Kanye: "He's like the Reynaldo of rap."

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I love that it already got to larry king!

I think its cool that he said it on such a huge thing! kanye rules for that.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im still not ready to place him next to Chuck D, KRSONE,even ICE CUBE, but what he said is important.

Well, personally I feel like those dudes are indeed greater than Kanye, just because I like their music better if for no other reason. But as far as importance goes, I dunno... I think Kanye is a lot more mainstream than any of those dudes were at the height of their popularity. And the whole world is different than it was back then when it comes to rap... rap equates to pop music now more than ever before. As many hits as PE, BDP and Cube had back in their heyday, I don't how many of them you would really call "pop". Kanye is a bonafied POP star without question. So for him to come out and take such a defiantly "militant" stance on national television... I dunno, I think it could have more of an impact than any controversial statement or record that those other legendary rap figures ever made. It's debatable at least IMO. I'm pretty sure that this is something that's gonna be talked about for years and even decades to come.

YES,this will be spoken about for years to come. My only thing is when the previous generation of mcs spoke on issues on wax/tv, the other artists responded and the listeners heeded the messages(to a degree).Kanye's pop audience wont fall in line the same way because the allegiance isnt the same. He'll get mad press for a minute...then continue his agenda...selling records.
    Weve always wondered "What If (INSERT AFRICAN CELEBRITY)spoke out". Bless Kanye for speaking out. BUt the pop audience doesnt really give a damn IMO.
    The industry has becomeso well oiled compared to circa 92, which to me might work to his disadvantage. Hopefully the children/MTV fans/College radio take in his words.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm sorry if this is repetious, but I just got sent a longer clip than what I've seen so far.

I don't know if he's the most important rapper since ___________ (I'm not really a Tupac fan, so...), but he's saying some important things as a human being.

sorry if you've already seen it

• Expect a Bill O'Reilly boycott attempt (like he did to Luda, but worse this time). Basically expect heat from all the dudes listed on the Assholes of the Week thread.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Expect a Bill O'Reilly boycott attempt (like he did to Luda, but worse this time). Basically expect heat from all the dudes listed on the Assholes of the Week thread.

If you can remember those people burning phucking Dixie Chicks cds of all groups, u can believe that.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    "GEORGE BUSH DOESN'T CARE ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE."
    "...BUY MY ALBUM."

• MeepMeep 320 Posts

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    "GEORGE BUSH DOESN'T CARE ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE."
    "...BUY MY ALBUM."

It's true - you can't buy publicity like that...

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    his album was going to sell millions whether he said those things or not...his remarks are damn near career suicide...'the hood' aint really checkin for late registration and he's alienating himself from the audience that just started to embrace him

• photoshop mastery.

• his album was going to sell millions whether he said those things or not...his remarks are damn near career suicide...'the hood' aint really checkin for late registration and he's alienating himself from the audience that just started to embrace him

Really??? The hood is not embracing "Late Registration"??? I hear it a lot from passing cars in the hood here in Philly. Mostly "Gold Digger", I admit, but other stuff from the album too.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    his album was going to sell millions whether he said those things or not...his remarks are damn near career suicide...'the hood' aint really checkin for late registration and he's alienating himself from the audience that just started to embrace him

You think? I don't know - watch him become the hip hop Bono. U2 fell off a long time ago, but the guy is still up in the news. He just may have gone from being forgotten in 5 years to a historical dude. With those words, he got compared to 2Pac, who is one of the biggest cultrual figures of recent memory. "Golddigger" was played out for some before the lp even dropped, but people will always remember this. I'm sure the man is paid & wouldn't have to do shit for the rest of his life, even if this album only sold 5 copies, but now he can become a legend. You can't put a price on that.

Really??? The hood is not embracing "Late Registration"??? I hear it a lot from passing cars in the hood here in Philly. Mostly "Gold Digger", I admit, but other stuff from the album too.

i dunno ...people i've talked to about the cd are like ....."shit is "...Gold Digger being the exception (everybody loves that shit)...personally i love the cd...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hood is showing love to Kanye.

Especially in Philly but up here in NY as well.

s. He just may have gone from being forgotten in 5 years to a historical dude. With those words, he got compared to 2Pac, who is one of the biggest cultrual figures of recent memory.

you may have a point here....i've always felt he would be played out in 2/3 years but i think his immediate success will be negatively effected by his remarks...he pissed off people who BUY cds,not the people who burn cd's..the people that decide whether your allowed on NBC or not...and being on NBC is the difference between platinum and triple platinum

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i really hate to say it (not a big kanye fan) but dude is paid already and probably doesn't give a shit about sales at this point, so dude is actually allowed to be real about shit. gotta give him props for that.

i could be wrong...just saying all i've heard is 'fag music', 'it aint hard enough'..etc..etc..it really doesn't make much difference tho'...the hood has never made anyone platinum or sold out a coliseum

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

i could be wrong...just saying all i've heard is 'fag music', 'it aint hard enough'..etc..etc..it really doesn't make much difference tho'...the hood has never made anyone platinum or sold out a coliseum
    lots of rappers careers wouldn't exist without record labels picking up buzz from the hood

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i really hate to say it (not a big kanye fan) but dude is paid already and probably doesn't give a shit about sales at this point, so dude is actually allowed to be real about shit. gotta give him props for that.
    thats true. i was just joshin bout that buy my album shit.
    he's speakin real talk and there is much to be said for that.

NO !!

Diddy & Cosby i'm sure did not have to check with their financial advisors to see how much they could contribute...he's paid...but he aint PAID

believe me.... he gives a fuck about record sales...not that he's going to starve or anything but if he doesn't produce or rap another day in his life i doubt that he'll still be rich 30 years from now...THAT'S PAID..IMO

I'M ABOUT TO MAKE SOME CARNE ASADA!!!!WHO'S HUNGRY?!?!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    s. He just may have gone from being forgotten in 5 years to a historical dude. With those words, he got compared to 2Pac, who is one of the biggest cultrual figures of recent memory.

you may have a point here....i've always felt he would be played out in 2/3 years but i think his immediate success will be negatively effected by his remarks...he pissed off people who BUY cds,not the people who burn cd's..the people that decide whether your allowed on NBC or not...and being on NBC is the difference between platinum and triple platinum

I figured that people who aren't going to buy the album because of this weren't going to buy it anyway. Its true that you need middle-class America to make you blow up to the skies, but, if those people were copping shit based on ethics or politics, there wouldn't be a rapper out there going triple platinum. People want rebellion, counter culture or whatever - its a very marketable thing - think of the beatles & The "We're bigger than Jesus" line. Jesus walks, indeed - Right to the bank. If Kanye was stocks, I'd be buying all I could get.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I'M ABOUT TO MAKE SOME CARNE ASADA!!!!WHO'S HUNGRY?!?!

That sounds dope & I don't even know what it is!

• I'm curious to see if anybody's gonna distance themselves from Kanye if there ends up being a really huge backlash against him. Is John Mayer still gonna be down? How about Jay-Z? Hov was DEFINITELY staying away from R. Kelly when his pissing scandal first broke. Will he, in the name of being a "business, man", keep his lips shut about this controversy or will he stand behind his boy?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    You gotta think that Jay is president of Def Jam now too, so he does have to watch out about more stuff than usual.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    I'm curious to see if anybody's gonna distance themselves from Kanye if there ends up being a really huge backlash against him. Is John Mayer still gonna be down? How about Jay-Z? Hov was DEFINITELY staying away from R. Kelly when his pissing scandal first broke. Will he, in the name of being a "business, man", keep his lips shut about this controversy or will he stand behind his boy?
    jay has always taken swipes at bush in interviews since the war broke.i doubt that the people that burn dixie chicks cd's are going to hurt kanye's $$$.