Unknown Boogie 7" EP

spirit_of_66spirit_of_66 104 Posts
edited August 2021 in Strut Central
Hey all, haven't posted or done much around here in about 5 years but I feel I need to share this with folks who will appreciate it:

Found this at a local Goodwill just before Christmas last year and was kinda blown away when I finally got around to cleaning it and listening several weeks later. 

Seems to be completely unknown and ungoogleable.  I have shown this to a friend who's a well connected record dealer and he can't find anyone who's heard of it.  I find it hard to believe I just happened to come across the only copy in the world in 2020, but I can't find any evidence this isn't true.

Anyone out there know anything about this record?
billbradleysticky_dojahklezmer electro-thug beatsElectrodeketan

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I've never seen it and can't find any info about it online. Nice find. Wanna sell it? 

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Finds like this still happen in today's time, I have a few like these that are literally virtually unknown. Great find. What state are you in if I may ask? I'm assuming this might be from your state. In case you want to sell, best bet might be to put this on consignment with an established ebay seller. I can see this going for $$$$. Thank you for sharing this!

How are the other 3 songs?

• Sticky,

I'm in Fairfield County, CT, so I'd guess this most likely came out of NYC.  But who knows?  It was the only 7" in the store that day, hidden amongst the LPs.  In that same visit I also picked up a few R&B/funk/boogie promo LPs from the early 80s, but all established, major label names like George Duke, Shalamar, etc... I'm guessing those promos, and this EP, were part of some industry person's collection.    

As for the other 3 songs, none of them are quite in the same league as "Whatcha Gonna Do With It", but "Your Love" is a pretty strong boogie track in its own right with some vocal effects.  "Love Is What You Make It" leans more pop and isn't quite as strong, and "City of The Lights" is a slow instrumental, and while not terrible is definitely the weakest of the 4.  They all have an endearing, homemade quality.  Links to videos below:

sticky_dojah

Thank you so much! Given the label name, I also assume this is coming out of NYC...

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I think consigning it is a good idea. Send it over to CarolinaSoul, FunkYou, or Paperstax to get top dollar since it is an unknown record.

• I'm not necessarily in a hurry to sell it, but probably will before too long, especially if there's strong interest.  Any idea what kind of % the big time sellers take as commission?  I'm no stranger to selling online but of course I can't expect to get the money those heavy hitters can get.  At the same time they have to command a premium high enough to exceed the extra % I'd be shelling out for them to sell it.    

sticky_dojah

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    What's the name above "Bass player, written, producer" ?

• Jimster, 
    I’ve spent too much time staring at that name, trying to figure out what the hell the first name is.  The last name is definitely “McCray” and the first letter of the first name seems to be a “V” and I think the second is an “a” or an “o” but the rest of the letters are pretty nebulous.  Hard to see that it’s any sort of traditional V name, but what is it then?  The same name is in the same place on the B-side but isn’t any clearer.

Vance? Vince? Vonni?  ("vonni mccray" is nsfw)
    I thought it might be a J, so Johnny?
    It's a good find '66, hope someone recognises it.  Can you track the og seller via the shop?

• Jimster said:
    Can you track the og seller via the shop?

Jimster,

Not sure what you mean.  It'd be impossible to figure out who donated this to Goodwill for many reasons.

I didn't consider the first letter of the name might be J, you could be right.  I was thinking maybe it could be an F.  In any case, I doubt figuring out that name will bring us any closer to solving any mysteries.

Ah I forgot it was a goodwill store.

It's a mysterious one, no doubt.

I think it's likely "Vance McCray" but still haven't been able to locate any info about the record online.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    "McClay"? I noticed a dot above the cursive letters: "Vai..."? "Voi..."? I tried the BMI and ASCAP searchable databases and came up empty, but I didn't spend too much time on it.

• OK maybe here's something...

Could "L. Owens" be Lloyd Owens?  https://www.discogs.com/artist/3088982-Lloyd-Owens 

Active at the right time, in the right genre, and in the right area for this to pop up in CT.

The case against:
    Lloyd seems to be primarily a vocalist and he's definitely not the one singing on the Sweets tracks.  See https://youtu.be/FavFTV3UmSw
    No mention of a McCray or Sullivan on his two known albums.
    No songwriting credits either, pretty much all covers.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    do you have a wav file of the good song please ?

• Over a year later and I've gained no info on this record beyond it being pressed by QCA in March of 1981. This is in spite of some very knowledgeable and well-connected people looking into it.

Somebody (not me) created a Discogs listing for it earlier this year.  Once I discovered it I went ahead and added my photos.

Today I noticed a second person on Discogs claims to have a copy. Their identity is hidden, so I can't reach out to confirm if it's true.

If anyone has any additional information or advice I appreciate anything you can offer.
    Jimster

I had a rare ungoogleable/unlisted LP and shared it on Waxidermy. Someone used my post to create a listing on Discogs. 

Over a year later and I've gained no info on this record beyond it being pressed by QCA in March of 1981. This is in spite of some very knowledgeable and well-connected people looking into it.

Somebody (not me) created a Discogs listing for it earlier this year.  Once I discovered it I went ahead and added my photos.

Today I noticed a second person on Discogs claims to have a copy. Their identity is hidden, so I can't reach out to confirm if it's true.

If anyone has any additional information or advice I appreciate anything you can offer.

Try dm'ing rockadelic on Instagram?