Recent Finds

Comments

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Lately I been doing  this thing where I  listen to the records I already have instead of just buying more. I can’t really recommend it. 
    Jimsterbillbradleyklezmer electro-thug beatsBeatnick Dee

• "For the Girl Who Thinks her Ass is out of this World"!! fuck mono/stereo and copyright information!
    Electrode

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    "For the Girl Who Thinks her Ass is out of this World"

I looked that up on Discogs and it returned this:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Second-Album-The-First-Of-Its-Kind/release/7305487

Banger?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    ^ Hilarious band names and song titles on that comp.

I'm curious about the "Son Of Scorpio" 45 too. It's on a DJ Greg Belson mix from 2013 on Dublab here: 

https://www.dublab.com/archive/greg-belson-45s-of-fury-northern-soul-special-w-dj-bywell-nancy-yahiro-andy-cobb-10-23-13

It appears about two-thirds the way through. Sounds like the Dennis Coffey version. According to an auction, the B-side is a tune called "D-Vader", which implies that the record is at least late 70s. Weird one.

The Jimmy Chambers 45: he was the lead vocalist of Batti Mamzelle. Their only LP, also on Cube, is well worth finding.

• Yemsky said:
    "For the Girl Who Thinks her Ass is out of this World"

I looked that up on Discogs and it returned this:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Second-Album-The-First-Of-Its-Kind/release/7305487

Banger?

Edition of 25... damn I am now sweating this hard!

9th Creation and Rusty Bryant were obtained for $15 each in clean condition. Very happy with those as well as the until now unreleased, posthumous Marcos Resende & Index which ppadilha, being dude that he is, set aside for me before it sold out. One of the Lenny Whites has the Freddie Gibbs "Robes" sample and the King Crimson is a companion to "Starless And Bible Black", which is a great one also. Airto has an all-star guest list (Marcos Valle, George Duke, Bayete, etc.) as does the coverless Luiz Bonfa on Ranwood. And of course anything multitasker extraordinaire RRK did is solid.
    ketanbillbradley

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

Early Josh Davis beats on The Wreckoning 12".  3 Pieces is a reissue.  The upper right is Potion Shop by A Hutchie - he's a jazz drummer who turned in this (Hamilton, Ontario) hometown oddity, full of interesting, varied music. https://cosmicresonance.space/album/potion-shop

Electrode

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Electrode said:
    ... the until now unreleased, posthumous Marcos Resende & Index which ppadilha, being dude that he is, set aside for me before it sold out. 

That Resende is el fuego.  Was made aware of it by Spacewalker on the latest Balance podcast.  

ppadilha

I’ll post finds later. Here are two things that I passed on:

(Don’t know how to embed video I guess)

https://youtu.be/J2NlLEni7Gc
    This cover of ain’t no sunshine. The recording sort of sounds like shit. Some notes make you wince. At the same this is one of those best digger show off records that other nerds would enjoy. And when the break kicks in at the end it really is cool. But for twenty dollars how often would I really listen to it? Ten bucks and I would have copped. Twenty I couldn’t justify. 

Somebody on discogs has it on a list called “secrets of the pan - steel drum funk” which is pretty awesome. 

James Vincent: Space Traveller:

Cheesy breaks. It was only seven bucks and on a lot of discogs lists, but it still just seemed like a record you pull out to say “hay check this out” but never listen to because your enjoy it. That’s just me. 

Anyways, I was on the fence about both of these and eventually passed. Curious to know what other people pass on. Could be it’s own thread....

dizzybull said:
    https://youtu.be/J2NlLEni7Gc
    This cover of ain’t no sunshine. 

I have a soft spot for funky steel band records and bought this for 50 cents. I remember seeing several copies at the swap meet over the years; never more than five bucks. Same with that "Devil's Out Tonight" LP. The energetic take on Cat Stevens' "Peace Train" has better drums, in my opinion. As far as instrumental ANS versions go, I prefer the Harlem Underground Band one. "Pusher Man" (not a Curtis cover) is cool too. But I wouldn't pay ten or twenty. You want it, it's yours, though.

I am sure it's a coincidence, but character actor Dick Miller funding a steel band is a funny thought.

• CRABFUNKCRABFUNK 33 Posts
    I also have a soft spot for a good steel drum break and island funk generally, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over Carl McKnight (although I really like that tune of his "the devil is out tonight" and "steel and strange culture" is cool) Now, if it were the Telstars....can someone please hook me up with a copy?

I pulled a double of this the other day (a rare foray into wild), if anyone is into some trade action:

ketanElectrode

Decided it’s time to give Hank Williams a try when I saw The Last Picture Show LP.  Naseeb is the classic early 80s Bollywood sound (Laxmikant Pyerelal) that I grew up with.  

Like this is some classic brown person shit:

klezmer electro-thug beatsElectrodefoe

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Some finds from the past week.
    Electrodeketan

• MiceTeaMiceTea 25 Posts
    dizzybull said:

Cheesy breaks. It was only seven bucks and on a lot of discogs lists, but it still just seemed like a record you pull out to say “hay check this out” but never listen to because your enjoy it. That’s just me. 

Anyways, I was on the fence about both of these and eventually passed. Curious to know what other people pass on. Could be it’s own thread....

Yea, i finally decided it was time to stop obsessively collecting "breaks" and steel bands/so so easy listening were some of the first to go. I realized I easily had a hundred record that weren't even one trackers...they were worse, 30 seconds of one track lol. Ripped them to MP3 and made some decent money selling them on ebay to new heads just discovering breaks. Sold those and a lot of 1 and 2 trackers and it was very freeing. Now I'm rediscovering my own collection listening to stuff I've owned for years and barely listened to realizing I should have been listening to it the whole time! 

But I dam sure ain't giving up my minty copy of Kelis vs Lawrence Welk!

dizzybull

MiceTea said:
    dizzybull said:

Yea, i finally decided it was time to stop obsessively collecting "breaks" and steel bands/so so easy listening were some of the first to go. I realized I easily had a hundred record that weren't even one trackers...they were worse, 30 seconds of one track lol. Ripped them to MP3 and made some decent money selling them on ebay to new heads just discovering breaks. Sold those and a lot of 1 and 2 trackers and it was very freeing. Now I'm rediscovering my own collection listening to stuff I've owned for years and barely listened to realizing I should have been listening to it the whole time! 

But I dam sure ain't giving up my minty copy of Kelis vs Lawrence Welk!

Ha! Naturally

Speaking of welkshake I bought the test press from a record store in Austria  I asked how they got it in the first place and he had no idea  well now it is mine  

I slept so hard on that deodato record. I had no idea. They played it in the shop and I ran up like “what is that???” I couldn’t believe it. Lil Timmy Digalot got schooled that day. 

Edit: the song in question was September. Now I wonder what other CTI records I am sleeping on. This was only five bucks. 

billbradleyketanElectrode

dizzybull said:
    Now I wonder what other CTI records I am sleeping on. This was only five bucks.

Milton Nascimento "Courage" and Fats Theus "Black Out"

• I've told the story before but I found that Deodato on the ground walking home one day when I was a youngster with like 20 records to my name. Just on the sidewalk of Dana St. in Berkeley. Was in pretty good condition!

• MiceTeaMiceTea 25 Posts
    That's a crazy story on the Welkshake. You see a fair amount of stories like that, artists finding obscure stuff of theirs in weird places. Collectors get around obviously. The best is when they say they've never even heard it and barely remember recording it.

The Deodato is a sleeper. That's one I always felt good about rocking a long time ago when people were more worried about some $100 rare ebay battle. I was just sticking to the thrift stores buying everything cuz it's a buck and finding good stuff. Dave Matthews Dune is another good one if you don't have it. That's probably more well know. Obviously Joe Ferrell Upon This Rock, again pretty well known. Had to DJ a party with a bunch of local artist/movie people around 2000ish and just brought all my CTI/Kudu records and it went over pretty well....until I put on Straight Out of Compton for a cameraman begging for some rap lol.

I remember finding a dude on slsk who had the entire CTI/Kudu catalogue.  To avoid him blocking either one of us for bulk leeching, Me and my mate Stefan in Austria decided we'd each take the odd and even numbers in the catalog and share them with each other when we got done.

: the biz GOT IT graemlin :
    dizzybull

some other CTI heaters ott

deodata 2 has superstrut freddie - red clay/straight life wes - a day in the life tamba 4 - we and the sea
    foe

This is what I have, if a real head can fill in any gaps I can do likewise via slsk.  The Austrian half never made it over and Stefan died at 43 last October.  Sudden heart attack.  Dude was in shape and had just found out he was going to be a dad.

We used to joke about the CTI frequently.

• Damn RIP to your mate, that's only a year older than me and my expanding gut. (see bottom of frame).  

I did a nice trade with my mate at the weekend and thought it was quite a Soulstrut friendly haul to post.

billbradley

Picked up another deodato because it was cheap. 

I’m a sucker for covers of Bali Hai, and the David Carroll is loungey exotica greatness. 

Jack dejonette = cheap jazz breaks

David Ruffin- I saw you when you met her is ill
    ketanbillbradleyElectrodeRustledustRAJ

billbradleyketanRustledustRAJdizzybullppadilha

I love that Cannonball Adderley Quintet album
    Electrode

The shop had two copies of this
    https://youtu.be/Ap2vHwHroQY

this cover of chameleon with lyrics is so bizarrely funny. Something about giant chameleons that come out of the sea and they are gonna burn down your house and “they’re gonna rape your mama”. It was only four bucks and I didn’t feel like I needed it but now I kinda do. 

Ballin jack was inly four bucks so I got it but that seems cheap to me. I thought it went for more but maybe not. They also had mystic moods erogenous  for thee bucks which also seems like a steal. Am I wrong?
    Electrode

The 6/8 drums on "Jelly Jam" on the McDuff are nasty. I had no idea that it was a cover of an early Hello People tune. I also like "Le Miroir Noir" on the David Baker. $3 for that Mystic Moods sounds about right and worth it. That's an Art Blakey I don't have. ATCQ sample there.