Recent Finds

ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,079 Posts
edited June 2017 in Record Collecting

E Arenas signed at concert. Stetsa is what got me into hip hop as a kid but I never had it on vinyl. Seen that Salvation in dollar bins forever but haven't felt like picking one up until now.  The best thing about Kings is the cover. 
para11axReynaldo82ketan
TAGGED:

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts
    Was going to start one of these the other day!

Nice haul - but that Bley is dew-dew IIRC.

Still going through some stuff from a yard sale on the weekend, but these are some recent highlights.

^ Really nice sounding folk set from a local boy (Hamilton/Dundas).

para11axElectrode

^ This is my joint.  So perfect having Syreeta Wright in the back.

Here's the Stan Rogers - turn up the bass!

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    ketan said:
    ^ This is my joint.  So perfect having Syreeta Wright in the back.

i'm so checking out that whole album now.

It's not strong all the way through, to be honest... She's got better albums.  

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,079 Posts
    ketan said:
    Nice haul - but that Bley is dew-dew IIRC.
    Yeah, it has some strange moments. I only grabbed it based on what I remember of "Dinner Music"

Forgot these:

ketanstratasphere

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    ketan said:
    It's not strong all the way through, to be honest... She's got better albums.  
    it wasn't on youtube so i checked her first albums instead. it pulled me through the workday.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,231 Posts

some recent and not so recent finds. Happy to have found the two Nara Leão, plus the Sérgio Ricardo is one I've found a few times before but always passed it along, will probably keep this one though.

Aldemaro is a weird venezuelan record that promised psyched out sitars on the cover but delivered this instead:

Waldir Calmon is one people seem to be after because of a Madvillain sample.

The find of the year for me though is Waltel Branco's Assim Na Terra Como No Céu, even if some asshole moth ate a hole into one of the tracks. This one's a compilation of novela soundtracks that had been unreleased until then, except for one or two tracks. A bit of a

been having some decent luck with the 7"s lately, some of the highlights are:

para11axBeatnick DeeThe Bizarreklezmer electro-thug beatsketanKineticElectrode

Forgot to add this classic to the 7" finds

• Padilha these finds are killin' me! Erasmo 45 is incredible. Dinalva is heat too. I had never even considered Brazilian 45s as a concept, is this a deep field I didn't know about? Was 7 inch a popular format for Brazilian music?

Padilha these finds are killin' me! Erasmo 45 is incredible. Dinalva is heat too. I had never even considered Brazilian 45s as a concept, is this a deep field I didn't know about? Was 7 inch a popular format for Brazilian music?
    there's a ton of stuff, but unfortunately not too many people cared about them, which means a lot of the used shops don't buy them and I think they just end up in the trash. I don't think it was a very popular commercial format BITD, so a lot of it was confined to radio stations and other promotional uses. At least that's my impression.

That being said, there's some serious heat to be found in 7", and a lot of shit that was only released in that format. That Dinalva is a good example, there's lots amazing afro-samba, boogie, psych, etc. The Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas comp was done just from stuff on 7".
    klezmer electro-thug beatsage

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I just inherited this collection from my old high school music teacher. Chuffed and honored, but bummed I have to clean out my garage again.

R.I.P., Mr. Stevens.

Electrode

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I really reallllly reallllly need to go to Brazil sometime...... Nice finds!

the Santana covers slay

KineticBeatducer

One of the most underrated imo

Electrode

ketan said:

is this that famous record with the egg on the cover?

ppadilha said:
    ketan said:

is this that famous record with the egg on the cover?

Haha: http://community.soulstrut.com/discussion/69469/once-upon-a-time-i-had-a-vinyl/p1

billbradleyKineticDuderonomy

you can still find great records for cheap in LA (plus some newer releases i bit the bullet on).  how are things where you thou excavate?

Danja Mowf - QUESTION? ~~>
    Sweetsmoke RMX ~~>
    Mt Airy Groove ~~> 
    STEVE MILLER ALL DAY ~~> 
    ALC beatz ~~> 
    3D/Meow the Jewels ~~> 
    Nick Hook/Meow the Jewels ~~> 

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,079 Posts
    Lift, Klaus Schulze, Todd Rundgren and Seventh Wave are mesmerizing. Chris Mercer has covers of "What You See Is What You Get" and "Love The One You're With", the later included on one of those reggae breaks comps many years back. BNF '78 is the version without "Interlude" but still enjoyable. I'm very happy with the Mother Freedom Band. Babe Ruth has covers of "We The People Who Are Darker Than Blue" and "Private Number"

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,884 Posts

These were my most recent buys on a trip to New Orleans. I was happy to find the Fifty Foot Hose. The Lee Dorsey LP was is a still sealed mono copy also.
    ketan

I'm scratching my head at going with Computa and then Computer. 

b/w

billbradley

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,884 Posts
    ketan said:
    I'm scratching my head at going with Computa and then Computer. 

b/w

Agreed. Computa Rock would have been better. I still dig the track though.

Their track with K Maxx on Austin Boogie Crew Records (gotta rep the homies) is good too.

• I don't buy those ABC records but they're kinda cool. Rollie booger jams

• just found this japanese 45, weird band called "bugs group"

I already had this from them: