current film strut

123457»

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

I don’t think I can watch movies that are “brutal” anymore. I love comedic gore but that’s about it. But movies that ate just downers I can’t watch anymore. I went through a phase where I was curious so I watched movies like A Serbian Film, irreversible, murder set pieces, etc. but none of it did anything for me. 

I crave a good horror movie once in a while but it’s so rare to watch something I actually enjoy. I think I might just be too old...?

I feel very similar. By the time Irreversible came out I was already way past my "have to watch everything that's extreme" phase; I skipped through most of the rape scene that in my opinion couldn't have added anything to any movie and then soon lost interest and switched dvds. What little I gathered from it, Irreversible is a fake arthouse exploitation movie that pretends to be about futile, literally mis-directed and impotent male revenge dishing out similarly blind rage and violence as the perpetrator, yawn, what else is new? Serbian Film, which came out 8 years later, I ended up watching in full simply to be able and voice the informed opinion that this was pubescent, pretentious garbage with shit effects and a predictable, pointless "story". The only shocking thing was that there were some idiots out there who took this limp provocation attempt serious.

Violation is an entirely different movie, written and directed by two women and even though it's a grueling watch for some sequences it's as much of a character study as a realistic depiction of what it takes for and maybe takes away from a person to follow the urge of deadly revenge. There's disturbing violence but very little "gore" given the subject matter.

Maybe check out this short and fitting review with no spoilers:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/mar/27/violation-review-a-brutal-and-brilliant-debut

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Ok now I’m interested. Funny that the review mentioned irreversible. 

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    dizzybull said:
    Frank said:

Anybody watched this one yet? For sure demands a repeat viewing... phew...

I don’t think I can watch movies that are “brutal” anymore. I love comedic gore but that’s about it. But movies that ate just downers I can’t watch anymore. I went through a phase where I was curious so I watched movies like A Serbian Film, irreversible, murder set pieces, etc. but none of it did anything for me. 

I crave a good horror movie once in a while but it’s so rare to watch something I actually enjoy. I think I might just be too old...?

I am the same.  I guess when you have a lot of demands on your time with the "Complete catastrophe" of Mortgage, wife and kids, your leisure time is probably best invested in not feeling like your eyes have been shat in.  I can remember a load of darker stuff with a circle of friends who all kind of wanted to out-do each other (I wonder why we were all single...) but I wouldn't pay good money to see such at the cinema now.

Real life presents enough of this shit to deal with.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Death of a Ladies Man 2020 by Matt Bissonnette

I enjoyed this one a lot.

• MiceTeaMiceTea 25 Posts
    Full Doc on Amazon Prime if you have it. This you tube is just a long promo for it. Great stuff even if you don't know them.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    ketan said:
    Frank said:
    I watched these two over the past couple of days and hugely enjoyed them both:

Possessor was a recommendation by MarcoFunk. I think I have to re-watch both.

i've been wanting to see both of those.  thanks for the encouragement.

Saw Possessor on the weekend - great acting, bizarre concepts, thoughtful enough, and about as bloody as I care to watch these days. Very original and yet, clearly owes a debt to his father and Inception. The ending left me unsettled.  

Anyone seen his first one, Antiviral?  I'm going to czech it....

The new Candyman is sick
    Frank

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    ketan said:
    The new Candyman is sick

Thanks for bringing this up, I remember the og to be semi-boring and underwhelming and would have never checked this out otherwise. Really entertaining and funny with surprisingly good dialogues.

Yeah, the original never left a mark on me either.  The reason I checked is that Jordan Peele produced it.  Get Out and Us are both worth  multiple viewings if you haven't seen them.  
    DuderonomyFrank

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    ketan said:
    Yeah, the original never left a mark on me either.  The reason I checked is that Jordan Peele produced it.  Get Out and Us are both worth  multiple viewings if you haven't seen them.  

I've seen and enjoyed both of those. Good idea, I should at least watch Us for a 2nd time.

Candyman could make for an interesting franchise if it's handled by the same team.

The Green Knight - I really liked it. It's a pretty simple "knight's quest" story, but told in a way that doesn't hand-feed you much. i found that really satisfying because most of these types of movies are created as pure (dumb) entertainment.  it reminded me in style/tone of The Fountain... walked a line between accessible/captivating and a quite a bit out there.
    Duderonomy