Wax Po bootleg poster help

ZaDougZaDoug 13 Posts
edited September 2020 in Off Topic (NRR)
Hello!
A friend of mine is turning 30 soon and despite him not being that much into record collecting, as a graphic designer he's maniac about record covers. I know he always wanted a copy of the Wax Po poster to frame and hang in his studio. This shit being sold out, I decided to take the challenge (I happen to be a graphic designer myself too) and make a bootleg version for him, replicating it almost exactly (as he's called Maxime I'll just change the waxpoetics logo into maxpoetics).
As I don't own the poster myself, I've done with what I've found online: a few low-res images of the poster. With my knowledges and help from Google Images I've managed to identify 95% of the covers. I just miss 18  6 of them.

If any of you owns a copy of the poster it would awesome if you can help me to identify the missing covers (and this would add a bit more backstory to my friend's gift). You can either share a zoomed picture/scan of the part or just list the records names.

I'm attaching some screenshots of what's still missing. Thanks in advances Strutters!

This is located on top right:

This part is located on the middle right:

This part is located on the center bottom:

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    ZaDoug said:

This part is located on the bottom leftt:

I only found a lo-res photo of the poster, but the one next to the Machito cover is Tom Zé's Todos os Olhos (the famous marble in an anus that was later revealed to just be someone's lips or not)

• ppadilha said:

I only found a lo-res photo of the poster, but the one next to the Machito cover is Tom Zé's Todos os Olhos (the famous marble in an anus that was later revealed to just be someone's lips or not)

Thank you so much! I didn't know that story (neither the record) but I though for a time that it was some lips holding a chocolate ball like Hot Chocolate’s Hottest Hits. I was pretty close… or not

If anyone esle don't have the poster but still wants to help, I'm attaching the 3 best pictures that I have found online and that turned useful so far:

• The record above Soul Makossa is Kashmere Stage Band
    ZaDoug

• The record above Soul Makossa is Kashmere Stage Band

Thanks, nice find!

I've also identified Our Latin Thing by The Fania All-Stars bellow Reflections of Time. I'm getting there!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    ZaDoug said:

This part is located on the bottom leftt:

Under the Sun Ra - isn't that a Mingering Mike?

• Under the Sun Ra - isn't that a Mingering Mike?

Thanks! I can't find a matching cover for this one, you're totally right:

By investigating on Mingering Mike’s work I've also found this one, which is definitely the one next to Canto Ami America

Duderonomyppadilha

I'm 99% sure the one below Terry Callier's Occasional Rain is Brazilian - it looks like a band on a beach with Sugar Loaf Mountain in the back. But I can't figure out which record it is, that was kind of a standard look for covers in the 70s.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    The one above Sabu's "Jazz Espagnole" is the monochrome cover of Paul Humphrey's "Me And My Drums". The one to the right of Sun Ra's "Jazz In Silhouette" is Burning Spear's "Studio One Presents..."
    ZaDoug

• Electrode said:
    The one above Sabu's "Jazz Espagnole" is the monochrome cover of Paul Humphrey's "Me And My Drums". The one to the right of Sun Ra's "Jazz In Silhouette" is Burning Spear's "Studio One Presents..."

That's brilliant! Thanks a lot to you guys.

I'm now down to 10 unidentified records. Will update the first post as soon as I have a moment!

Found another. The one to the left of the Sun Ra, below the "Honey Baby, Honey Baby" soundtrack, is Ralph Robles "Was Here".
    ZaDoug

• Thanks Electrode! The poster is crowded with Fania releases and I carefully browsed their catalog to find the ones missing. It seems I've still missed one.
    9 to go! I've updated the first post with up-to-date screenshots including the recent finds from you guys. 

• I’ve only followed this thread on my mobile phone and will eventually look at the photos on a bigger screen but in your top photo to the left of the Barrett’s - Power it’s Amadou Balake Bar Konon Mousso Bar
    DuderonomyZaDoug

• I am beginning to think that I actually own this poster but I can't find it at the moment. Did this come folded or rolled from WaxPoetics?

If I cut corners, I would just put Syd Jones and the Troubadours "Positively Spicy" and Los Mitos S/T above and below the Sweet Maya and "Phenix" next to the other Cannonball Adderley.

• Yemsky said:
    I’ve only followed this thread on my mobile phone and will eventually look at the photos on a bigger screen but in your top photo to the left of the Barrett’s - Power it’s Amadou Balake Bar Konon Mousso Bar

Thanks, that's one more! I have no clue how the poster came with the magazine (or not), sorry about that.

Electrode said:

If I cut corners, I would just put Syd Jones and the Troubadours "Positively Spicy" and Los Mitos S/T above and below the Sweet Maya and "Phenix" next to the other Cannonball Adderley.

Below Sweet Maya it's Gary McFarland – Today. Above looks more like a drawing to me, but we're definitely close with Los Mitos, it could be a nice placeholder.  

Next to Cannonball Adderley I am seeing two characters, from the side, next to each other in front of a window, maybe on a train or something. That orange color is confusing indeed. I still have a bit of time so maybe if Yemsky is finding the poster we can have new clues.

Thanks all for your help again, I never thought we could be this close to identifying all of them with such crappy images!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Electrode said:
    Syd Jones and the Troubadours "Positively Spicy"

Need a "Had It" variation of the Biz Markie graemlin. Don't think it's that. I've got a dude's name on the tip of my tongue... thinking about some turkish or Afro (?) funk band that also had an album cover with musicians standing in the grass. Boris?

• Beatnick DeeBeatnick Dee beatnickdee.com 71 Posts
    Bottom left, above Marcos Valle is streetdancer https://www.discogs.com/Streetdancer-Streetdancer/master/887345
    ppadilhaZaDoug

• Bottom left, above Marcos Valle is streetdancer https://www.discogs.com/Streetdancer-Streetdancer/master/887345

Wow, this one was bugging me for a long time. I thought it was one of those generic stock cover. Thank you so much.

Beatnick Dee

• ZaDoug said:
    Bottom left, above Marcos Valle is streetdancer https://www.discogs.com/Streetdancer-Streetdancer/master/887345

Wow, this one was bugging me for a long time. I thought it was one of those generic stock cover. Thank you so much.

Really appreciated. 

I spent a couple of hours the other night trying to find that in my memory (it’s not in my collection...) 

Beatnick Dee

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Great poster, keep one hanging in front of my desk. Hoping osmosis will pay off and I'll find these covers out digging. Hats off for putting in that work, official good friend status 

• YNOT said:
    Great poster, keep one hanging in front of my desk. Hoping osmosis will pay off and I'll find these covers out digging. Hats off for putting in that work, official good friend status 

You have the original poster?

Can you post some quality close ups of the areas where we still have gaps, please. 

I still haven’t been able to locate mine. The curse of being a hoarder. 

• You motherfuckers are impressive. I spent some time on this and have zero suggestions for the remaining gaps. I just do NOT have this level of cover knowledge. 45 labels? Also no. But less so.

Left of James Brown's "Revolution Of The Mind" is Creative Arts Ensemble "New Horizons".

https://www.discogs.com/Creative-Arts-Ensemble-New-Horizons/release/4855930

I have their previous LP,  "One Step Out"; found when Nimbus deadstock surfaced around L.A. shops. I knew the mystery record looked familiar since it had a "spiritual" look to it. Sure enough....
    ZaDougppadilha

• Beatnick DeeBeatnick Dee beatnickdee.com 71 Posts
    How many are left to identify now? @ZaDoug if you could update, I could prob find the rest
    ZaDoug

• Electrode said:
    Left of James Brown's "Revolution Of The Mind" is Creative Arts Ensemble "New Horizons".

Damn!!!!! Thanks for finding this one.

Beatnick Dee, we're down to 6 missing! I have updated the screenshots in the first post. They are the 3 on top, please disregard the other ones (I can't remove them, if anyone can help me with that…)

Thanks again, that's really impressive!

THIS IS LIKE WHEN YOU'RE *THIS* CLOSE TO COMPLETING YOUR PANINI STICKER ALBUM
    ketanElectrodeZaDougDuderonomyklezmer electro-thug beatsFrank

• I have a copy of the poster in front of me right now if there are still some things to be identified. I also have a few extra copies I picked up when Wax Poetics threw a party at the Adidas store in NYC if you still want a copy. I'm not sure where you're located but if it's possible I could send you one.
    ZaDougYemskyklezmer electro-thug beats

• @djmorgan16 The 6 missing records are the one identified by question marks in the first post (3 top screenshots only are up-to-date).

Thanks for the nice offer! I'm in Germany so it might be a bit expensive to ship here. And it'll make all this work reconstructing it useless haha!

• Next to Charles Wright is Maliks Emerging Force Art Trio - Time and Condition, Next to Sabu's is The Harold Land Quintet - The Fox, to the left of the Watts 103rd St. Band is Luis Gasca - Collage, left of Ray Barretto's Acid is Birth of They, right of Joe Cuba Sextet is Bush Y Sus Magnificos - Humanidad & the last one is Solidarity Unit, Inc. - Red, Black and Green. 
    I hope this helps!
    ElectrodeYemskyklezmer electro-thug beatsZaDougppadilhaDuderonomy

• OMG! That's it, it's done! I feel so empty now…
    Thank you so much mate, very appreciated!

This won't change the look of the poster, but since you have the it next to you, out of curiosity, is there any title on the record on top of Jimmy McGriff – Groove Grease (center-bottom) and on the one between Skull Snaps & Canonball Adderley – Black Messiah (center-center)? They're both stock photo covers that I have identified, but I don't know which records they actually are. (Thrust is also a stock cover, but this one I'm sure is the one)

Thanks a lot again (and to all the strutters who helped me)!