Moraes Moreira

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited April 2020 in Music Talk
Last week Moraes Moreira of the group Novos Baianos passed away from a heart attack. He had a very long and successful career with multiple incredible solo efforts. Thought it would be good to pay some respects for this guitar legend.

- Diego
ppadilhaElectrode
TAGGED:

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    been a rough few weeks with Manu Dibango, Bill Withers and now Moraes Moreira leaving us. I'm not too keen on his 80s solo stuff, but pretty much every Novos Baianos record is great and that first solo LP of his is just as good. I put it on the other day and it was bittersweet to listen to such a sunny and happy record.
    SPlDEY

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    What songs would you recommend from his work with Trio Elétrico and A Cor do Som?

- Damo

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    A Cor do Som was formed by people who had worked with Pepeu Gomes and Moraes Moreira, among others, and it borrows heavily from the later Novos Baianos stuff. I don't know that Moraes was directly involved. To be honest, their stuff has never really stood out to me, I always found them a bit tepid. Trio Elétrico Dodô & Osmar is a traditional carnaval group from Salvador, I don't know much about their records but I don't think that's their main thing.
    SPlDEY

Thanks for the knowledge.

- Diego

So many amazing NOVOS BAIANOS songs!

- Damo