Recent Finds

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,231 Posts

haven't posted in the finds in a while, but I picked this up for $10 today.

ketanklezmer electro-thug beatsElectrode

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,079 Posts

Dollar finds at the swap meet. Roadmaster is Indianapolis glam rock. No One With A Bullet is an early 80s Los Angeles indy label compilation. Alwyn Wall Band is Christian rock with a drum break. Last of Bill Bruford's solo run. JB has some open drums and a two bar loop I'm working on now. Dave Brubeck moved to Atlantic Records, enlisted his sons and went electric in tribute to his mentors Duke Ellington and Darius Milhaud, who both died within weeks before this recording. Very good stuff.

The best find however is this:

Japanese soul-jazz instrumental covers of the country's then contemporary pop hits. One is a Hammond organ version of this

The AtGB one was put on a Groove Sounds In Nippon volume (https://www.discogs.com/Various-Groove-Sounds-In-Nippon-Shakin-My-Soul/release/7767846) in the late 90s which used this cover.

ketan

• ppadilhappadilha 2,231 Posts

Shop owner near me picked up a big lot from a local radio station, I've been slowly making my way through it. The picture above is stuff I got from him and from another dig I got to do with our old friend Moogman. I think I've picked up about 60 7"s over the past few months, but there's still some more set aside for me at the shop, and I've yet to really get to look through the bulk of the radio station lot.

These are some of the highlights so far:

ketanfoeklezmer electro-thug beatsbillbradley

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,884 Posts

ppadilhaketanElectrodefoecountmaculaBeatnick Dee

Eddie Palmieri is a Venezuelan press. The McDuff is where he plays with British musicians; has "Hunk O Funk". I gave the Tommy Jones to someone here during one of those Strut meet-ups back when, forgot about it and then found it recently. Fireballs has a GOOMLW cover. I saw them play at the Baked Potato years ago. The Banister is very good trio jazz but doesn't contain anything like the moog-out from his other one.
    billbradleycountmacula

Some more:

I like MGJ and Seventh Wave's other LPs which I found a while ago, so I'm glad I found these. I have been noticing Sam Rivers (the only other one I have is "Sizzle") and Julius Hemphill (the side-long "Hard Blues" seems to have a pressing/recording flaw, possibly related being from an earlier session?) LPs have increased in price/demand around these parts lately, but I got them each cheaply. I have yet to see the namesake RRK documentary, which looks interesting.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I have not dug out a record worth mentioning in almost six months.
    Since moving seven years ago to a small country town I have had droughts but this is starting to wear.
    It's brutal.

SPlDEY

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,884 Posts
    Some of my finds from the Spring 2019 Austin Record Convention

I bought this one for $1 for the poster.

ppadilhaketanElectrodeMondeyano

Pasadena Swap Finds today.

billbradleyketanppadilhaklezmer electro-thug beatsTheodore_RucksYNOT

• GivemesoulGivemesoul 146 Posts
    Welcome To The Club-Nat King Cole.

ppadilhaElectrode

$2 finds from yesterday. Ice is a sealed dupe/upgrade.

RAJbillbradley

• Damn, jealous of the quality and quantity here. 

My mom is always out hitting estate sales and thrift stores for antiques. She'll send photos of random records she's pulled to see if I'm interested. She did pretty good yesterday.

RAJketanElectrode

Houston Rockabilly Raer

• GivemesoulGivemesoul 146 Posts
    Great stuff,I can't post pics but I found-Love Is Back-Love Unlimited just the other day.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    I have not dug out a record worth mentioning in almost six months.
    Since moving seven years ago to a small country town I have had droughts but this is starting to wear.
    It's brutal.
    Well, after a nice self imposed decision to stop spending money on records. I still somehow manage to acquire records. 
    - spidey

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    GF went to visit her dad in Cuba, and brought me home some goodies. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ70TdzV-vU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk0O-SCVb5M

Pretty good finds from a complete non-digger. 
    - diego
    billbradleyRAJppadilhaketanElectrode

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Algo Nuevo = 
    SPlDEY

RAJ said:
    Algo Nuevo = 

:super sonned: 

View this post on Instagram

A nice little haul of clean OG pressings bought at the local spot this weekend. #soulstrut #strutarchive #vinyligclub #cratedigging

A post shared by Rick von Fogelberg (@rajstrut) on

Jul 21, 2019 at 4:50pm PDT
    billbradleyppadilhaklezmer electro-thug beats

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I miss digging. Just went to a couple of 2nd hand shops around here (Reykjavik, Iceland) and the cheap bins have become 500 krona ($4) bins with non-stop garbage.

Mondeyano said:
    I miss digging. Just went to a couple of 2nd hand shops around here (Reykjavik, Iceland) and the cheap bins have become 500 krona ($4) bins with non-stop garbage.

Most of the thrift store dollar bins are $2 to $3 here now unfortunately. Half Price Books and Records used to have dollar clearance bins but they are $3 now also. Times are changing. 

Mondeyano said:

Most of the thrift store dollar bins are $2 to $3 here now unfortunately. Half Price Books and Records used to have dollar clearance bins but they are $3 now also. Times are changing. 

It's insanely difficult to pull dollar bin miracles these days.  It's pretty much common knowledge that vinyl is back and collectable across the board, but people do slip. CDs are where it's at right.  Admittedly their not as cool and a bit soulless, but there's a lot of amazing stuff to be had at 50 cents to 1 dollar.  There are times I prefer the CD over the vinyl pressing.  

RAJ said:
    It's insanely difficult to pull dollar bin miracles these days.  It's pretty much common knowledge that vinyl is back and collectable across the board, but people do slip. CDs are where it's at right.  Admittedly their not as cool and a bit soulless, but there's a lot of amazing stuff to be had at 50 cents to 1 dollar.  There are times I prefer the CD over the vinyl pressing.  

You're probably right. I'm likely missing out on a lot of CD sales. Mostly I buy them to listen to when taking road trips now. This was my most recent CD haul from goodwill. 

RAJketanElectrodeBeatnick DeeDuderonomy

• Praise be! That's better than I've ever seen at goodwill. I kinda hate CDs on an aesthetic and technical level, like a bad medium between fully digital and fully analog, but there is so much cool shit (from certain eras) that's not on any kind of record. It's tough to avoid the format, still.

$5 finds at the record store down the street. Mary Watkins is nice 80s fusion jazz from the usually bland Palo Alto label, Sammy Nestico aside. Victory Chapel Gospel Band is self pressed and based in Southern California. It is partially Santana inspired and led by an ex-junkie preacher on the drums. Hugo Montenegro is a Motown tribute follow-up to his Stevie Wonder one, both which are better than his other cover records of the time. Iliad is more polished and interesting than their other LP which has the samples. CD-R is an unrelased Sun Ra Omniverse Orchestra era album, which I assume was recorded in east Michigan, given to me by Jamaiel Shabaka. He was sitting next to me stageside at the Marshall Allen show this Tuesday. Check out this article, which coincidentally mentions the aforementioned local record store.

https://www.waxpoetics.com/blog/features/articles/jamaiel-shabaka-cut-his-teeth-on-avant-garde-jazz-with-legend-sun-ra-and-drummer-alex-cline-before-recording-the-mysterious-reggae-lp-the-land-of-the-rising-sun/
    ketan

klezmer electro-thug beatsppadilha

• YemskyYemsky 706 Posts
    Digging through in-laws’ radiogram cabinet  

billbradleyppadilhadiscos_almaElectrode