Recent Finds

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,884 Posts
    Les Watson & Soul Time with The Panthers

• Damn that one is not cheap! Was that a find find or a market price find?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,884 Posts
    Damn that one is not cheap! Was that a find find or a market price find?

I cherry picked it out of a collection of turds (Montovani, Ferrante & Teicher, Ray Price etc.) in a Craigslist list ad. It's in rough shape but I bought it anyway because it's a tough one to find.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Embed code is not working.... But here are some fresh digs....

klezmer electro-thug beatsketan

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts
    RAJ said:

Dang, what's that cover of Let The Sunshine In?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    RAJ said:

Dang, what's that cover of Let The Sunshine In?

Dennis Coffey Trio - Hair & Thangs LP  = End to End Burner.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts
    [little dude] How have I missed hearing that before LOL [/little dude]

Miami finds

ketanklezmer electro-thug beatsDuderonomy

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,079 Posts
    I skipped the local swap meet this month to make the drive up to San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay to do some fishing, sightseeing and hit some record shops for cheap finds. Stanley Cowell is a later repress of his '69 debut. Hugo Strasser has competent Santana covers ("Jingo" and "Black Magic Woman") and a monotonous alto sax take on "Paranoid" which is fun as a novelty. I did not have any Seeds or Fats Waller before, so a couple bucks well spent. Sealed cutout of Oliver Lake's debut as a leader, which was appropriate since I was listing to Pheeroan Aklaff and his other projects during the three hour drive to hold me over. "Adios Amigo" is the soundtrack to Fred Williamson's answer to "Blazing Saddles" and "Trinity" and the one of the many 70s Westerns he did after the trend died down. 

BB: great job with with the Coke. The model on the left of that Chic is Valentine Monnier.
    billbradley

Years ago I saw Sky Saxon from The Seeds at the Austin Record Convention. I didn't know who he was when I first saw him but his style oozed rock star status. Then a dealer next to me explained who he was walking around and it made sense. He passed away the following year. RIP. 

• Just hit me the utter classicness of finding Coke in Miami
    billbradleyDuderonomy

Maryann Farra & Satin Soul 
    klezmer electro-thug beatsElectrode

• ppadilhappadilha 2,231 Posts
    haven't picked up too many things lately, but did come up on two of my randomest finds for used record shops in southern Brazil:

OG French pressing of a Fela for less than $20

turns out the Fela had come in a batch from an old dude who had lived in Cuba for some time, so it was in the middle of some tepid Cuban folk and highlife comps

then last week I came up on this sealed latin funk raer for $5 in a clearance bin:

billbradleyElectrode

Great find with the Judge's Nephews. The only one I have found of theirs is the more easy to come by third self titled album from 1977.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,231 Posts
    I didn't know what it was when I picked it up, but later I saw I used to have one of those generic international funk comps with Harina de Maiz on it. And then I also realized they're the ones who did this Antonio Carlos & Jocafi cover that's become known among DJs and collectros down here:

Reynaldo82

The Ed Thigpen (US issue on GNP, not the original Swedish one), Ed Robinson (previously thought that "Hey Blackman" one-off 45 was his only output) and the Wildflowers volume four were found at DJ Muggs' record collection sell off. Had to sift through hundreds of sealed promo singles of "Rock Superstar" and scratch battle records to find those. The Italian soundtracks are new releases and birthday gifts from my brother who went to Florence recently. Hal Singer is another US pressing of an American jazz musician who moved to Europe. Rinked to hell but thankfully the one original, worthwhile track, "Malcolm X", plays well. FDR is a posthumous ('76) comp. Nice to have "Dernier Domicile Connu" and "Les Caids" on one record. Nothing to get excited about on the Eagle Rock HSJB '74 but it's a cut above most high school bands and the cover is a local landmark I still drive by on a weekly basis. Peter Berkow & Friends (PB&F) is a fun mix of progressive rock, folk and Blood, Sweat & Tears influence out of Chico, CA by way of Chicago. I've said before that the Inner City label is a crap shoot but this seems to be one of the good ones; funky fusion with steel drums. Gunther Fischer was a nice surprise. The title track is another one canonized by Dusty Fingers.
    klezmer electro-thug beats[Deleted User]ketan

Electrode

• Wow I had not clocked that that is a 500 dolla record! Not that I've ever come across it in the wild but still. What's the story?

Wow I had not clocked that that is a 500 dolla record! Not that I've ever come across it in the wild but still. What's the story?

It was a Craigslist ad at a really good price. I jumped on the opportunity to buy it because I have been looking for a copy for probably 15 years. I bought it to resell but I don't think I will be able to let it go after searching for so long for a copy that wasn't on a wall for $600. Maybe one day I'll find a cleaner copy and sell it but for now it's getting filed. 

Weekend so far...

ketanbillbradleyklezmer electro-thug beats

I bought 2,000 records this morning. It was a former disco DJ's collection. Disco, funk, soul, new wave, etc. It's a very focused collection with no crap mixed in. He was in a record pool and bought stuff to play for the dance floor. It has been collecting dust for many years. I'm happy to breath some life back into all of them again. 
    DuderonomyYemskyketanppadilharoisto

• Damn, that's a vicarious thrill for somebody like me who could never make moves like that. Rare even on record boards to hear about collection buys that are actually good and focused and not full of chud too

Damn, that's a vicarious thrill for somebody like me who could never make moves like that. Rare even on record boards to hear about collection buys that are actually good and focused and not full of chud too

It was kind of like it was meant to be. The owner of this collection was working the register at Goodwill. We were driving by Goodwill and only had 10 minutes to dig before they closed. We almost didn't go in that night. I pulled four 90s classic 12" for 99 cents each and when I went to pay for them the cashier started talking to me about records and how he had 4,000 in his apartment (it was actually 2,000). I told him that if he ever wanted to sell everything I was the guy that would buy it all. A couple days later he invited me over to look at everything. I made an offer and the next day we were able to work out a deal that we were both happy with. I mostly collect disco these days and getting a collection like this fits into what I am typically playing out when I DJ. He knew the records were going to a good home and said that he could see the happiness in my face as I was packing everything up. I'm having a great time going thorough everything now. There are so many 12" that I have never seen before. 

ketanDuderonomy

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts
    Do you even have space to just up your collectron by that much overnight?!  Sounds like a perfect come-up but would also be a nightmare for me for space reasons!

ketan said:
    Do you even have space to just up your collectron by that much overnight?!  Sounds like a perfect come-up but would also be a nightmare for me for space reasons!

Yes, I have multiple shelves around the house. I just setup this shelf for processing incoming records recently after outgrowing the other shelves. It's a constant cycle of buying and purging. The shelves are almost completely full again now. That's a good problem though. I can always add another shelf. Finding the records is the hard part. 

BSM and Yma Sumac are psychedelic anomalies compared to the rest of their previous albums. Miguel Cruz is personal label salsa and rhumba soul. Grapefruit is one-off major label psych. LAVC Studio Jazz Band '74 has a version of Pat Williams' "On The Sixth Day", with drum breaks. It's a personal connection too as my mother and I both got our transfer credits from that community college and we have a lot of memories of that place. She in the early 70s just graduated from the adjacent Grant High (as seen later in the 90s as the opening shot of Bayside on "Saved By The Bell"), hanging with the surfers and lowriders. Later in the early 2000's I would play pause break tapes for amateur rappers on campus who would plume up the center quad area with weed smoke during peak hours. Amazingly, no one hassled us. Those were the days. Also got Python Lee Jackson "In A Broken Dream" and Megaton's "Standing In The Rain Again" 45s for a dollar each.

billbradleyketanklezmer electro-thug beats

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    this shelf for processing incoming records