Good Records NYC Closing:

Suprised to see no news about this on the forum. Good Records was always on my list to drop into when visiting NYC. Always had a great selection of stuff that I was hunting for. Good luck to Jonnny Paycheck on his future endeavours. 

From their FB page:

"Dear Friends and Family.

After nearly 14 years of serving the record collectors and music lovers of New York City and beyond, I am closing Good Records NYC on Sunday, March 24th. on April 1st, the shop at 218 East 5th Street in Manhattan’s East Village will re-open as Stranded Records, a vinyl shop owned by the record label Superior Viaduct.

Lots of things will remain the same. most of the staff is staying. most of the inventory is too. Stranded will honor Good Records gift certificates and trade credit for a period of 3 months - through the end of June. most importantly, there will still be vinyl records to dig and purchase and add to your collections, in the same bins, at the same location.

On a personal note: this was a great run in the greatest city, and it could not have been done without YOU. big up to all our customers, from the daily and weekly regulars to casual stoppers-by; all current and former staff, friends, allies, plugs, and simply great collectros from across the globe; thank you for making us your favorite, year after year, from 3rd St to 5th St, from the well-worn classics to the new discoveries to the wtf-unclassifiable; thank you for the laughs, the knowledge, the stories, the good vibes, and of course, your hard-earned purchases. thank you for making our little shop a special and unique place in a world of rapidly increasing homogeneity. thank you for knowing and proving that vinyl is valid and dope and real and worth millions of dollars, long before big corporations agreed with us or saw reason to exploit those facts. I am moving on, but the platter keeps spinning. I look forward to releasing more music on my new imprint - Key System Recordings - and working with Superior Viaduct on this transition and other creative endeavors. This is but one chapter in a life of music, and the work continues.

“the beat feels like a never-ender, but all things good must.” - Q-Tip

with love and gratitude

Jonathan “Jonny” Sklute"

TAGGED:

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Great shop.  I visited a few times, whenever I was in NYC and always came up with a few great/unexpected things. Best of luck to Jonny with Key System and other things.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Surprised to read this considering the recent vinyl renaissance... seem to remember that years ago he returned from a visit to europe enthused about the idea of relocating (Italy somewhere?). What sort of music does Key System put out?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Here's the original thread of Jonny announcing the shop 14 years a go!

https://community.soulstrut.com/discussion/3162/new-yorks-newest-spot-b-w-what-ive-been-doing/p1

Time really does fly.  It was a Soul Strut institution for a lot of years.  A few people on here even worked there.  

Best of luck in your future endeavors @Jonny_Paycheck 
    kicks79nzshadow

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I remember it opening, seems not so long ago.  Was going to drop by with some beers next time I was in town...

Time flies I guess.

But it sounds like he is doing bigger things and maybe got the offer of a lifetime.  Not really a closure under sad circumstances so I salute the one PAYCHECK and wish him well on the new path.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I used to go there all the time when I lived in NYC, my one regret is that I didn't buy more things!

For a while I would swing by there and then walk down the street to shoot the shit with Joel or whoever was at Tropicalia in Furs. Good times.

Good luck to Jonny!

• I'm glad to see the location passing into other record-dealing hands. And interested to see what music he puts out!

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

kicks79ppadilhanzshadow

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Yes, also interested in hearing what Key Systems puts out?
    Any links to the label? 

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Sad to see them go as well. Used to visit every time I came up to NY from Philly back in 2006-2008. 

In regards to Key System, I’ve been helping him out with art stuff on his first release which I think he’ll be announcing soon on social. I’ll let him do the honors but it is indeed a raer one. 
    RAJDuderonomy

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    @thekeysystem on Instagram
    kicks79

•   will czech. 

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy............

GJ