Beat making

Comments

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    RhythmGJ said:
    RhythmGJ said:
    Mostly hardware. Some iPhone apps for sound sources!

GJ

Dope... mobile digging sounds intriguing. What kinds of apps if you don't mind me asking? 

Sure-- For starters, Launchpad, Sample Toy, iKaossilator, DJ Rig, Traktor DJ, Dub Siren, Groovemaker, BeBot... A bunch of synths and drum machines, and both an MPC and Roland-type bass module that I forget the name of.

GJ

Ahh good looks! Just got a new iphone over the weekend, about to try some of these out... 

(because I can't find a "thumbs-up" emoji)...

GJ

• Lotta good talent on the strut!
    I've been making these beat tapes lately where each track is made up of only samples from one record.

Take a snare from one song, some horns from another song on side B.
    The drums can be tough with records that don't have open breaks, but that's what eq is for.

Here's my latest beat tape with bonus animation

DuderonomyRhythmGJketanJefDamcove

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts
    First beat was nice, but the LULU is killing it. George Shearing too. Love the way the keys come in. The Klassics Go Disco is fucking sick. Gladys is cool, loving that one. Benny in Paree - very good too. Ditto Al Hirt.
    Superhits @16.00 is awesome.

Really think these are great. Listening makes me realise I need to use reverb more! Your side-chaining with reverb to cut up samples is fucking great - is there delay in there too? Using a glue compressor on Ableton?
     Some of these are really good as they are, some of them I think it would be worth breaking your own rules and throwing good drums on them (eg Klassics Go Disco). You have a soundcloud page? You have a bandcamp?
    Love the animations too!

TL/DR; fuck me, back to school.

Yes, very coolio. I don't have time to listen to all 20 minutes right now, but "I'll bee beck!"

GJ

• First beat was nice, but the LULU is killing it. George Shearing too. Love the way the keys come in. The Klassics Go Disco is fucking sick. Gladys is cool, loving that one. Benny in Paree - very good too. Ditto Al Hirt.
    Superhits @16.00 is awesome.

Really think these are great. Listening makes me realise I need to use reverb more! Your side-chaining with reverb to cut up samples is fucking great - is there delay in there too? Using a glue compressor on Ableton?
     Some of these are really good as they are, some of them I think it would be worth breaking your own rules and throwing good drums on them (eg Klassics Go Disco). You have a soundcloud page? You have a bandcamp?
    Love the animations too!

TL/DR; fuck me, back to school.

Yes Ableton. Some of the drums are compressed a lot. Not much delay involved, but yeah reverb and sidechaining.

It's on a bandcamp page w/ these two other beat tapes- all dollar bin records, same sample formula. And I'm working on one right now that's all Prestige Jazz records. https://wallywaves.bandcamp.com/

ketanTheodore_RucksDuderonomy

• RhythmGJ said:
    RhythmGJ said:
    RhythmGJ said:

GJ

Dope... mobile digging sounds intriguing. What kinds of apps if you don't mind me asking? 

Sure-- For starters, Launchpad, Sample Toy, iKaossilator, DJ Rig, Traktor DJ, Dub Siren, Groovemaker, BeBot... A bunch of synths and drum machines, and both an MPC and Roland-type bass module that I forget the name of.

GJ

Ahh good looks! Just got a new iphone over the weekend, about to try some of these out... 

GJ

Sampletoy is the truth! About to have some wild field recordings lol

RhythmGJ

• Lotta good talent on the strut!
    I've been making these beat tapes lately where each track is made up of only samples from one record.

Take a snare from one song, some horns from another song on side B.
    The drums can be tough with records that don't have open breaks, but that's what eq is for.

Here's my latest beat tape with bonus animation

That Claus beat slaps and the animation is hilarious. Tina Turnt is epic too. Love the concept - working w/ finite source material is def underrated. good shit!

RhythmGJ

RhythmGJ said:
    RhythmGJ said:
    RhythmGJ said:

GJ

GJ

GJ

Sampletoy is the truth! About to have some wild field recordings lol

Lots of fun. Memory wise, you usually have to keep the samples pretty short, but once you start scaling, high-lighting small segments to go granular, etc. lots and lots of fun. If you can add an external microphone, you can get some decent sounds.

GJ 

Theodore_Rucks

• JefDamJefDam 36 Posts

^Nice^. Live drums?

• JefDamJefDam 36 Posts
    ^Nice^. Live drums?

Not at all. Chopped up the Captain Sky Saturday Night Move kick and snare. Happy that someone mistook them for live though!

Matt Tracker, that shit is bananas. Such a good look.

Duderonomy

• Mattttttttttttracker, just listened to the first $25 beattape and going immediately to the other two. Great concept and execution, really cool

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    can i get a lazy link for the other two? they are relevant to my interests.

• foe said:
    can i get a lazy link for the other two? they are relevant to my interests.
    https://wallywaves.bandcamp.com/album/25-beat-tape

https://wallywaves.bandcamp.com/album/25-beat-tape-two

Thanks for all the good words. Keeping things limited has def taught me a lot of techniques

JefDamcove

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    thank you, this is perfect for work in the morning. this is what i wish those 24/7 lo fi beat mix where more like.

• Anyone mess with Effectrix or similar plugins? Thinking about copping

• just finished a Prestige Jazz beat tape with 25 records, 25 beats:

DuderonomyJefDamcove

• JefDamJefDam 36 Posts
    Matt Tracker uber alles. Extra props for the 80's cartoon inspired alias.

New jawn.

Duderonomy

This weekend's knob-twiddling:

cove

• This weekend's knob-twiddling:

Drums/percussion sound dope, I like how it's reversed at parts. Favorite sequence is the one around 1:08

Duderonomy

• Springtime mood.

coveklezmer electro-thug beats

Finally got to listen to these ^^^^. Good stuff guys...

GJ

Theodore_Rucks

EDIT

• Duder I think it's dense enough without vocal drops, but it's a personal taste and a fine line at that. I like it.

I dunno how I missed Teddy Ruckspin's samba track up there, love it!
    Duderonomy

it's dense enough

Thanks, this was a good call, went back and pruned it a bit more.

• Duder I think it's dense enough without vocal drops, but it's a personal taste and a fine line at that. I like it.

I dunno how I missed Teddy Ruckspin's samba track up there, love it!

Good looks man! 

Idk if people have been keeping up with rhythm roulette but this Tom Misch one is fire. Just in case you need some inspiration -

OK, new bassline, slightly different arrangement seems to have given it an early Bonobo vibe...

• I mess with the breakdown at 55 sec, and bassline is def on some Bonobo shit 
    Duderonomy

• JefDamJefDam 36 Posts
    A quick flip of Buddy Miles' version of Down By The River.

klezmer electro-thug beats

Totally off-topic to beat-making, but I got to see Buddy Miles and Alphonso Johnson jam into the wee hours with some local guys in a small club in the 80's, and it was a benchmark/life-changing event...

Nice flip, btw!

GJ