Beat making

Comments

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts

Cool mix Rain103, and JefDam, I dig the 6/8 over 4/4 of "Heavy," and what I think are Led Zeppelin drums on "Stout Paw."

GJ

• RhythmGJ said:

Cool mix Rain103, and JefDam, I dig the 6/8 over 4/4 of "Heavy," and what I think are Led Zeppelin drums on "Stout Paw."

GJ

Cheers, boss.

The drums on Stout Paw are Sandy Nelson. Turns out you can kind of polish turds.

Couple of new jawns.

(Thinking of revisiting the drums on Nostalgia...)

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts
    I've been very unproductive lately, and worry I'm going to be left with hundreds of unfinished tracks on my laptop. This is the only thing I've done recently that's worth sharing - familiar boom bap sample but I don't think it's been flipped like this before:

EDIT: longer now.
    henry_manspleenyJefDam

• That was cool, Duder!

I have new stuff but can't figure out how to successfully post soundcloud links.

Just post the url

although this doesn’t work in Safari - you will have to manually type the link.

• JefDamJefDam 36 Posts
    Also been off the boil lately. Here's one I made before Christmas.

JD
    ketan

It was the only acca I had at this tempo...

ketanSobriety Won

• JefDam said:
    Also been off the boil lately. Here's one I made before Christmas.

JD

Horns on the first half are sick, love the hazy ass vibe to this. 

• A couple from the past year:

DuderonomyJefDamketan

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts

All the samples are from this (except one):
    Duderonomy

Nice dreamy sounds from that Streetcorner thing and a decent beat Ketan.

Feedback? My usual habit of flipping a sample in as many ways as possible within one track - have I over-egged it? I could probably make two or three separate beats, but I think it hangs together...

ketanhenry_manspleenyTheodore_Rucks

I like it. My only nit is with the vocal samples and the delay time used. When the samples aren't placed on downbeats, the delay makes them sound "out-of-time"/off-rhythm. I'd line them up on time/beat, or I'd vary the delay type and length so that each distinct vocal sample sounds like it fits the rhythm of the track.

Nit-picky, I know...

GJ

Duderonomy

• Here's one from a beat battle event I entered in December. I was a runner up.
    Listening back I would fix the mix up a bit but I was working against the clock.

ketanklezmer electro-thug beats

• Feedback? My usual habit of flipping a sample in as many ways as possible within one track - have I over-egged it? I could probably make two or three separate beats, but I think it hangs together...

This sounds like dope movie score music, I think the different flips work. I like how the bassline gets to breathe around the 1:20 mark.

• Here's one from a beat battle event I entered in December. I was a runner up.
    Listening back I would fix the mix up a bit but I was working against the clock.

This is great! For me there's never enough overcooked hammond samples in beats. I'd have voted for you.

• I am glad you liked it Klezmer. I did this Artifacts remix today...

DuderonomyTheodore_Rucksklezmer electro-thug beats

• JefDamJefDam 36 Posts
    Theodore_Rucks

• JefDamJefDam 36 Posts
    Accidental double post.

Mashed this fucker out on Sunday afternoon. Very pleased with it, but realised when it was finished that the bassline sounds like a (very unintentional) bite of Busta Rhymes "Woo-ha":

Theodore_Rucks

You got them all in check.

Very nice!

GJ

• Just put together a little visual for this one: 

• Btw what equipment/DAWs are people using? I'm on Ableton 9 suite w/ a macbook air. Plus an onyx blackjack USB interface for recording vocals + instruments. Started off using MPK mini / Arturia minilab pretty heavy, but now doing most of the chops within Ableton

Ableton 9 on my Lenovo laptop with rips from my record collection. D-D-Das all folks!
    Theodore_Rucks

Mostly hardware. Some iPhone apps for sound sources!

GJ

• RhythmGJ said:

GJ

Dope... mobile digging sounds intriguing. What kinds of apps if you don't mind me asking? 

• Ableton 9 on my Lenovo laptop with rips from my record collection. D-D-Das all folks!

Word that's really all you need. 9 is the truth

RhythmGJ said:

GJ

Dope... mobile digging sounds intriguing. What kinds of apps if you don't mind me asking? 

Sure-- For starters, Launchpad, Sample Toy, iKaossilator, DJ Rig, Traktor DJ, Dub Siren, Groovemaker, BeBot... A bunch of synths and drum machines, and both an MPC and Roland-type bass module that I forget the name of.

GJ

• RhythmGJ said:
    RhythmGJ said:

GJ

Sure-- For starters, Launchpad, Sample Toy, iKaossilator, DJ Rig, Traktor DJ, Dub Siren, Groovemaker, BeBot... A bunch of synths and drum machines, and both an MPC and Roland-type bass module that I forget the name of.

GJ

Ahh good looks! Just got a new iphone over the weekend, about to try some of these out... 

RhythmGJ