Beat making

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts
Any one here dabble?

ketandj_cityboyJimster

Comments

• I used to but forgot how to do it well, if I ever knew, which I didn't. Kind of DD & Steinski'd my way along leaning on selection and big unchopped samples rather than skill.
    Nice beat though!
  • yeah I do for sure, but its been a while since I've gotten down (baby #2 on the way any day now), that beat is mad nice though, loving those piano samples.
    Duderonomy

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts
    The thing I find hardest is keeping things simple. With that beat above, it keeps changing as I can't resist the urge to try out as many combinations as possible. I think the art is to make the thing sound simple, but with the changes subtle enough that they aren't even noticeable on first listen. Hidden.

I'm going to try and simplify it, but still have enough happening to satisfy the creative juices.

ketanJimsterPossum SlimDanswift

yeah I do for sure, but its been a while since I've gotten down (baby #2 on the way any day now)
    Congrats!/good luck/commiserations (delete as appropriate)

Pissing around with something. Extreme cheese;

klezmer electro-thug beats

• thinking about playing that one on my boat if I had a boat

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Duder, what gear are you using to make these? I've got this rhythm in my head that I just can't shake so I think I've finally got to stop procrastinating and get round to doing. That and I watched The Art of Organized Noize recently.....

Ableton, but I use it like a spastic. I haven't learnt any of the beat session stuff I see on yootoob tutorial vids, no MPC or Maschine, it's all manual chops, I don't even use any of ableton's groove settings when I warp a sample - all straight and listen for where I think it needs to come in a little early or late. Which is time consuming as fuck.

If you don't have Ableton you can make a basic loop in audacity too, it's simple, I was explaining to a friend who wanted me to make him a drum loop from a sample, find an electronic programmed track at a similar tempo and paste it into your audacity, then cut and paste all of your kicks and snares underneath it, and you've got a template rhythm that's regular and in time. With ableton you've got as many extra channels as you want to build on it, not sure if you can save two tracks (in effect channels) in audacity at the same time though.

I found a good crack of 9 recently.

Added a bit more piano to the yacht jam:

coveketanPossum Slim

I can't be the only fucker on here that plays about with beats. POST 'EM UP!

Danswift

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,883 Posts
    #1 son wants to get into it.  He's on about the FL studio or such, used to be Fruity Loops.  He's been deep into his hiphop the last few years so it's a good start but not sure what kit he needs.  I can bless him with a Windows laptop but what else?

I’d recommend Ableton. Get a cracked copy for free, introduce him to Soulseek and Junodownload for samples, and show him a few YouTube tutorials and let him get on with it.

FL Studio heads feel free to chime in though, I know nothing about that.

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts

OK, here's a few:

GJ

JefDam

Damn - old school flavours in the house! I like them.
    RhythmGJ

• Some cool stuff here. I have been super productive recently but haven't uploaded anything new yet...

Duderonomycoveklezmer electro-thug beats

Nice. Piano part sounds familiar, great when the strings come in.

Yeah, very cool! I see you do your name-sake proud. I definitely feel a break-up or a heist coming on. Maybe both.

GJ

• Henry I feel like that track needs Geechi Suede and Sonny Cheeba on it. Lush and uptown saturday night-ish
    And GJ your shit was a nice background to some cooking recently. As I recently heard a DJ with a heavy Russian accent say, komink with the old strong bits. Akressif bits.
    DuderonomyRhythmGJ

Tanks! Eyef alvays dun akressif bits eggsklusifly...

GJ

Komink with the old bits, non-aggreziv old bits:

A mate sent me a minutes worth of a track he'd saved before his laptop crashed and asked me to do something with it. Unfortunately the main part is muddy and not well mastered, and he's got no stems, but I had a go at it. Waiting to see what he thinks. Personally I'd lose the part when the synths and bass come in together as they're red-lining, and just use the first "yowl" to make a completely new track.
    ketan

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts
    ^^  i cringed at the Queen/Ice Ice Baby sample at first, but i really like the way that came together.

i make a lot of mixes but generally only put together one beat every 2 years or so when i find the inspiration+time.  it's never been my thing tbh, even though i can play a few instruments (badly).

but i've been working from home and with my kids for the last few months (we're traveling as a family, working/home-schooling, so it's weird for everyone), and recently discovered garage band with them.  we all find it very fun, esp with the sampler.  i also like how i can just make a quick one minute long thing and move on without having the capacity to do more with it.  garage band has a lot of functionality, but it's all really basic.  i tend to over-produce my mixes (by habit/compulsion), so it's liberating.

here are some things i've done in last month that i like.  quality is really variable... like, the rihanna/sza sample is off my cell phone speaker...

Duderonomy

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts
    ^ lots of red-lining in that playlist btw.

ketan said:
    ^^  i cringed at the Queen/Ice Ice Baby sample at first, but i really like the way that came together.

i make a lot of mixes but generally only put together one beat every 2 years or so when i find the inspiration+time.  it's never been my thing tbh, even though i can play a few instruments (badly).

but i've been working from home and with my kids for the last few months (we're traveling as a family, working/home-schooling, so it's weird for everyone), and recently discovered garage band with them.  we all find it very fun, esp with the sampler.  i also like how i can just make a quick one minute long thing and move on without having the capacity to do more with it.  garage band has a lot of functionality, but it's all really basic.  i tend to over-produce my mixes (by habit/compulsion), so it's liberating.

here are some things i've done in last month that i like.  quality is really variable... like, the rihanna/sza sample is off my cell phone speaker...

Yeah I was struggling to find a sample that matched and just wanted to demonstrate how I’d build an intro as the sample he sent me just dropped straight in and then ended abruptly.

I like those garage band skits Ketan, some nice ideas and the sound quality doesn’t seem so bad to me. Post moar

Dude on another board was asking about how/why I chop rather than timestretch, so this morning I put together an example of the sound I like (partly because it gets weird sounding when you slow a beat down with chops and extra space)

Then I added some extra garnish to the 90bpm segment

cove

• Do my chopping in Audacity, arranging and effects in Maschine. Have Ableton but not really messed around with it yet, but watching tutorials.

DuderonomyRhythmGJ

• Here's a quick mix I threw together yesterday for Jay's birthday with an old beat.  I use an MPC2500 and Logic Pro.

henry_manspleeny