Introducing... The Soul Strut Music Archive

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited December 2017 in Strut Central
For the past few years, it's been extremely quite around here.  While the web site hasn't seen much activity (other than the mixes page), I have been extremely active behind the scenes meticulously combing a vast archive of discussion threads from 2001-2007 documenting the eclectic and diverse musical tastes and trends of the Soul Strut community.

I have amassed around 17,000 albums and singles (and that is up until 2007.)  

I've made a life time decision to review and collect the most relevant recordings discussed on here in order to inform music lovers for years to come of how great this place really was is.

I'm going alphabetical.  So with an average of 5 reviews a day, it will take me YEARS to complete.

So, without further, here is the soft opening of THE ARCHIVE.
ppadilhaDORDuderonomyklezmer electro-thug beatsdeezleeJimsterketandj_cityboybillbradleyThe BizarreYaga.Reactions.RecordLimit.Plural

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Damn.

So good
    Two thumbs
    RAJDOR

• Christ jesus Raj! You plan on doing the whole thing dolo?? Or waxi style?

• Also am I right in gathering from this that you have an archive (presumably not easily restored to readability online) of '01-'05 threads? where is the :raw: graemlin?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Also am I right in gathering from this that you have an archive (presumably not easily restored to readability online) of '01-'05 threads? where is the :raw: graemlin?

'01-03 can be downloaded here (Golden era Soul Strut!):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqls7xfv3xgd3ne/The Board 01-03.zip?dl=0

2004 is on Waybackmachine, but you can only see subjects.  This is when I switched from HTML to a MySQL database and lost the back up.

The board here starts in February 2005 I believe.... So we are missing Nov 2003 - to Feb 2005... sadly.

klezmer electro-thug beats

Christ jesus Raj! You plan on doing the whole thing dolo?? Or waxi style?

Short, informative (sometimes entertaining reviews).  This isn't allmusic, but I want to try to give the best back story I can while tying it in with records discussed on here.

• Hell of a mission, but I think it's a really cool undertaking. Thanks for the link to the oldies too, the knowledge dropped in that should be fun to sieve through.
    nzshadow

• Awesome work Raj! *Woah emoji 
    RAJ

• Proppers!
    RAJ

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts

Flipped through a few records, and not only were the reviews on point, the format and linkage to thraeds was really satisfying.   This will keep me busy...  thank you, Raj!
    RAJ

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,884 Posts
    Raj, Is your collection alphabetized by First Name?

It's looking great so far btw.

Raj, Is your collection alphabetized by First Name?

It's looking great so far btw.
    Sort of...  I'm just going by how it's organized in iTunes 
    billbradley

ketan said:

Flipped through a few records, and not only were the reviews on point, the format and linkage to thraeds was really satisfying.   This will keep me busy...  thank you, Raj!

Thanks Ketan.  I'm hoping it will be a game changing resource.  if not,  I'm learning a lot about the recordings and the artists and generating the world's largest "WANT LIST".

• I am viewing this logged in, but when I click the link to go to the Archive I end up not being logged in on that page and I am being asked to log in again to comment if need be (?)

I would imagine that once I log in that should follow me from page to page...no?

• Whoa man...hats off to you!  That's no small feat and I dig the passion since the site is a piece of history in itself.
    RAJ

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    As a newbie, I'm sad I missed so much, but glad I found this place. The Archive will just make the experience that much better and will be another great resource for those interested in understanding more of popular music's history. "Props" is wholly inadequate and certainly not enough of a thank you, but for lack of better verbiage at this time...

GJ

RAJ

I am viewing this logged in, but when I click the link to go to the Archive I end up not being logged in on that page and I am being asked to log in again to comment if need be (?)

I would imagine that once I log in that should follow me from page to page...no?

I'm using the Vanilla software for this message board which has a commenting system that is associated with this login. It's terrible.  I thought I would try Disqus which is more modern robust option, but that means you need two accounts to make your experience here seamless.  So, I'm kind of stuck at the moment.

dj_cityboy

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Doing gods work. Thanks for tackling this. 
    RAJkalaJRoot

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts
    RAJ said:
    generating the world's largest "WANT LIST".

Loc for sure.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    NateBizzo said:
    Doing gods work. Thanks for tackling this. 

word yup!

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    This is some great schitt! Thanks for this Raj.

• Damn Dude! You're a beast! Long live the Strut!
    RAJ

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Thank you!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,231 Posts
    I know we're only in the A's, but is Ablution the worst band name ever?
    RAJ

• Great that you still runnin this page.
    Good news about the archive of the archives.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    came back just to say
    wow! this is great
    this place was truly magical because of discoveries like this and it has shaped my DJing and taste for life
    soulstrut por vida
    RAJJRoot

• Man how did I miss out on Area Code 615!

Love your work on letter "A" Raj. Keep em coming

Man how did I miss out on Area Code 615!

Thanks... Throwing in some Soul Strut 100s in the mix so I can at least have a finalized list of that soon.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Man how did I miss out on Area Code 615!

I got an extra that I've been trying to sell for years. It's yours if you want it. 

• Whoa! Thank you, great layout and reviews. Lots to discover here.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Oh, yes. Much respect, this is going to be great.

I really want to comment on loads of these, but not become 'that guy'.

Does anyone else plan to join me?