2016 - The great Boomer Die Off ?

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I will spend the rest of my squares just staring at the squares. 

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I can't spare a square.
    billbradley

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Gilberto Gil has been in and out of the hospital this year with some sort of kidney failure. It will suck when he goes.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Bill Cunningham. 

R.I.P.

damn. 2016 sucks.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    RIP Sir Mack Rice, most of the world knows him for "Mustang Sally" but around these parts he will forever be known for:
     [youtube]

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Dang, RIP Sir Mack.

RIP

ketan

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

DAMN.  What an icon.  What an immense loss to the tarot and spirit navigation worlds.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Real name Youree Dell Harris . 

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    Tom Peterson died over here in Oregon this week. Pacific Northwest legend.

• ppadilha said:
    Gilberto Gil has been in and out of the hospital this year with some sort of kidney failure. It will suck when he goes.
    Ugh, I hope he pulls through. Gil in San Francisco was the first show I went to by my own volition, based off some of his 90s albums (Quanta) before I even knew what a colossus of Brazilian music he had been in the 60s. A dude who stayed relevant to the present in my mind.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    Not sure if mentioned, and predating baby boomer generation, arranger and conductor Claus Ogerman is listed as dead on wikipedia. My online media bubble didn't give me any breaking news update, and I haven't seen any flood of memorials or tributes.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Not sure if mentioned, and predating baby boomer generation, arranger and conductor Claus Ogerman is listed as dead on wikipedia. My online media bubble didn't give me any breaking news update, and I haven't seen any flood of memorials or tributes.
    Alas, 'tis true.  Noted engineer Al Schmitt was in regular contact with Claus and posted it on FB.

http://forum.amcorner.com/threads/claus-ogerman-rip.15209/

Okay. Found Al Schmitt's post:

"I'm sorry to say one of the great modern composers and arrangers passed away a short time ago. Claus Ogerman, I got to work with him on many albums and I will miss him very much. Check out Gate of Dreams, Cityscape, a couple of Diana Krall's albums. Check him out on the internet, he was very special."

There were 90 comments, many from name artists, but none with more information. One poster, whose name I don't recognize, said "You had told me he was very sick, Al."

The commenters are like a who's who of great music...Tommy LiPuma's daughter, Steve Porcaro, David Wolfert, Jai Winding (Kai's son), Nan Schwartz, Narada Michael Walden, Brenda Russell, Wendy Waldman, Larry Klein, Steve Lukather and Steve Tyrell....all of whom, despite widely varying styles in their own work, cite Claus as an influence and inspiration.

Anyway, it's pretty clear Al had been in touch with Claus, knew of his illness and was informed by family of Claus' passing.

We are unlikely to get more than this, which is sad, because it means Claus Ogerman is unlikely to get the recognition he is due. If anyone deserved a comprehensive obit/tribute in, say, The New York Times, it was Claus.

The Sinatra/Jobim collabo is the one for me.

RIP Glenn Yarbough!

R.I.P. Bobby Hutcherson

Was still putting out strong albums until the end. 

GibboDuderonomy

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    Toots was not exactly a cool guy but he had his moments

Jimster

• His life is the stuff of movies and his music is the definition of fun, dangerous and sexy.
    He had an amazing life and career. 

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Al Capone's guns don't argue

RIP
    asstroDuderonomy

bassie2 said:
    His life is the stuff of movies 
    Is there a good book about him? Or, like, a movie?

That Ten Commandments track was one of the first (edit: dub) *cough* ska things I found when I started looking for records in high school, and it really set the bar too high.  

• Not that I know of. His story - not all of it no doubt - has taken shape for me from books and interviews over the years. I'm sure extensive bios will begin to pop up online now.

Duderonomy

RIP Buckwheat Zydeco

RIP Kashif 

Apparently: "He also wrote and produced a 10-part documentary called The History of R&B Music and Its Influence on World Culturethat had an Indiegogo fund, but no available release date yet."

From J-Zone:

Jimster

Damn thun...
    Kashif was a lot of the 80s for me.  He must have been a kid at the time.
    SMFH.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    So sad. Never knew he was in BT Express. 
    Another legend gone too soon. Fuck you 2016 !
    RIP

ROD. TEMPERTON.

This is officially the worst year evar for me.  

ketan said:
    ROD. TEMPERTON.

This is officially the worst year evar for me.  

Hahaha, I realize how awful that sounds in retrospect.  It's been a horrible year for many legends in the game and their families/loved ones.  

And me.  
    DuderonomyJimsterasstro

"Come in LEONARD COHEN, your time is up."
    Whilst personally not a big fan, I respect his output.  May give it another shot.