The rolling strut TV thread..

You know. What have you been watching lately?  

Vinyl - has this been discussed on here already? Seems like a strutnip kinda show.

Bosch - I haven't watched much of this, but it has a couple of Wire favourites Jamie Hector (Marlo) & Lance Reddick. 

iZombie - I'm not into the whole zombie thing and most of the comic book shows leave me cold, but this show seems to strike a good balance. Created by the guy behind Veronica Mars (which I've never watched but wikipedia says it's critically acclaimed) and Party Down which was a really good under the radar sitcom. Dude obviously understands humour and drama and it plays out well in this show. It's lite entertainment but smart enough to not make you feel like you need a partial lobotomy to enjoy it. 

Black Sails - bufty pirates. dumb fun with plenty of plot ;) and dodgy accents. started taking itself a little too seriously by the 3rd season. 

You're The Worst - possibly my favourite new comedy. good cast and a nice mix of comedy and misery

Horace and Pete - Louis C.K. comedy-drama that plays out like theatre. Interesting but hard to get through. Louis really is out there in terms of tv comedy production though. 

Still good; Workaholics & Always Sunny. Watched some of The League which seems a little like Always Sunny for basic bitches, but still pretty funny.

Season 6 of GoT starts in a week. Pretty hyped. Not sure the writers will do it justice now they've overtaken the books, but it surely beats waiting a decade for Martin to finish the books. Also coming this weekend is season 3 of Silicon Valley another great sitcom with one of the best casts going. 

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Shows I've been enjoying.

Billions
    The last man on earth
    Better Call Saul
    House of Cards - This season was much better than the last 2 seasons
    The Night Manager
    Daredevil

Guilty pleasure...

American Crime Story

Edit: List above was from when shows were on the TV at the time. Plz to add

Silicon Valley
    G.O.T.
    Parts Unknown
    Veep
    Peaky Blinders
    Real Time with Bill Maher

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Working our way through Horace & Pete and River (netflix) at the moment.  

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Enjoying: 
    Broad City
    Last Man On Earth
    Catastrophe
    Archer
    Plebs

Looking forward to:
    Game Of Thrones
    Veep

Hate Watching:
    Anything Walking Dead

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
       House of Cards & Veep - interestingly both US version of UK political shows. 

The Night Manager is on my to watch list.

Tried to get into Last Man On Earth but found it frustrating, first off, given the entire continent of the USA dude decided to settle down in such a shitty spot. Then, I get that the humour comes from him being a looser and so he's always set up to fail, but it means you can kinda see shit coming from a mile off. 

I'll add.

The Man In The High Castle. Based on the Philip K Dick novel about an alternate history in which the Alies lost WWII and the Germans and Japanese have taken over the US (I guess the rest of the world as well, but that doesn't really get a look in). 

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Production values in Man in the High Castle had me like whoa! Really dug that, and dug less the faux pas, quickly corrected, of Amazon wrapping NYC buses or subways like the Nazis had occupied the city.

I have major sensory overload with TV and streaming. I've started and variably liked but haven't kept up with: Man in the High Castle, 11.22.63, Mr. Robot, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, American Crime Story, the Americans, Silicon Valley. All seemed pretty good, but I had no urgency like I was really missing out by not watching.

Sort of lost interest in the House of Cards, due to its identity crisis. It's like I want them to either be more camp or more serious. You can't have the majority leader killing people and then be some slow-burner about the primaries and the First Lady, whom the Pres had an orgy together with the Secret Service, and he's trying to shade her for not hitting up one campaign event? Come on, son.

Walking Dead: Garbage.

G.o.T.: The last remaining appointment TV, atm.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I wanted to like Man In The High Castle, but it just didn't do anything for me. The Americans is seriously though, probably the best drama on TV.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt, season 2. Only 5 episodes in, but I love it. It's got a bunch of jokes about DJs, too.

• Scuba SteveScuba Steve @steveislikewoah 40 Posts
    Cosine GOT, geeked for season 6

No mention of Idiotsitter?  Keeps the fun rolling after Workaholics.

So, yeah, the final scene of the first episode of the new GoT season was fantasy-deflating. A bit of a dealbreaker, too, for me with the Red Woman and I'm not talking about some mild SS elbows shit either.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It was an ok episode. I fear that now the show writers are basically filling in the gaps between plot point laid out by Martin it's gong to feel like a bunch of filler episodes with the occasional big episode. The whole Dorne plot line seems pretty pointless at this point, but I guess they needed to just give them an excuse for whatever is coming later in the season. 

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    white_tea said: A bit of a dealbreaker, too, for me with the Red Woman and I'm not talking about some mild SS elbows shit either.
    It wasn't that surprising that she has some Dorian Grey shit going on, but I predict her boobs will be back in all their pert glory.

So John Snow. Wasn't really that much of a surprise given they didn't burn his body in the first episode, and whatever your thoughts on credibility, I'm glad to have him back.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Jesus Snow was a given. Kinda disappointing how it went down, after all the years of wild speculation. 

Been some good episodes so far this season, but they're just showing us all the good bits with little of the substance. Dorne is still widely irrelevant. Dany's still going nowhere. Jaime's redemption arc has been thrown to the wind. 

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts

The pace of this GoT series is refreshing. I seem to remember having to wait until around episode 7 previously before anything actually started happening.

Duderonomy

• the 100
    broad city
    daredevil
    brooklyn 99
    gotham
    comedy bang bang

as for shows i can't stand.. game of thrones is xena meets sex in the city for me

Dorne irrelevant? Guess you homies missed that whole flashback piece at the Tower of Joy, huh.

I love that they had to do Olly, and that Olly had to go. What I come back to is that these villagers on each side of the Wall really are lacking in their education, so you can't really extend too much rope or you'll get stabbed. It's not like Olly was all that removed from the Wildings.

Olly was an annoying little scroat, and as if stabbing John wasn't enough, he was the turd who killed Egrit. I would've fed him to Ghost.

Is anyone one else watching South Park (season 19)?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    white_tea said: Dorne irrelevant? Guess you homies missed that whole flashback piece at the Tower of Joy, huh.

Not sure what that's got to do with the show's Dorne plot line..? In the books it's kinda meandering and ultimately goes nowhere but the show's version is just embarrassing. How the two Sandsnakes got from Dorne to Kingslanding in time walk onto a ship & kill their cousin is beyond me, and then they just disappeared back into the ether. But the show doesn't seem to care about small stuff like that. That's how Little Finger can travel the length of the Isles in the blink of an eye. How hunting dogs magically disappear when there's a fight. And how "20 good men" can defeat an army led by what is meant to be one of the best military leaders in show. Talking of Littlefinger, where has he got to? I guess they don't need him any more as they cut his whole play for the throne from the books. Instead he kills a King and steals Sansa just to give her to a psycho. Getting very little in return. I guess he'll pop back up eventually, but he's in danger of loosing his relevancy to the game.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    This latest season is very clever. You could probably write several theses on all the ground it covers and little tv especially comedy is on touching the sort of topics they are. But I haven't found it as funny as previous years. I guess it's hard to just be funny when you've got so much other shit going on.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt, season 2. Only 5 episodes in, but I love it. It's got a bunch of jokes about DJs, too.
    I've just finished the first series, and loved it. So much underhanded humor, which doesn't often find its way into U.S based comedy shows.
    Just finished and really enjoyed
    Party Down (came highly recommended to me and I hardheartedly endorse!)
    Dice (can't believe this hasnt got its own Strut thread yet!)
    and as above Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt which I already had high expectations of as Tina Fey was involved and it more than delivered!

Okem said:
    This latest season is very clever. You could probably write several theses on all the ground it covers and little tv especially comedy is on touching the sort of topics they are. But I haven't found it as funny as previous years. I guess it's hard to just be funny when you've got so much other shit going on.
    Just starting it and think it's still sharp.
    Garrison fucking Trump to death (and taking some poppers *himself* beforehand) was fucking great.

Not as funny - maybe. Maybe it's difficult to compete with real life now 

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Okem said:
    Just starting it and think it's still sharp.
    Garrison fucking Trump to death (and taking some poppers *himself* beforehand) was fucking great.

Not as funny - maybe. Maybe it's difficult to compete with real life now 
    SP is still some one of the best shows on tv imho.

These last two season where they've switched to episodic continuity, rather than stand alone episodes, is definitely taking the show in a new direction. The older stand-alone episodes could be deeply political or just piss taking buffoonery, but when you take on larger topics and move to a continuity based show you have a bunch of new constraints. So it's harder for them to just run wild on a topic and just 'be' funny. It's still funny, just tempered somewhat by the serious stuff they're taking on at the same time. 

This video is a pretty good summation (may contain spoilers if you haven't watched S19)

Final scene delivered...Game of Thrones emilia clarke daenerys targaryen khaleesi hbo
    cai

Okem said:
    white_tea said: Dorne irrelevant? Guess you homies missed that whole flashback piece at the Tower of Joy, huh.

Not sure what that's got to do with the show's Dorne plot line..?
    Pardon my ignorance but isn't the Tower of Joy, ahem, in Dorne?!? Maybe it's all part of the long game, with Samwell en route to Oldtown and eventually all of it will start to piece together. To some extent, I was just playing Dorne Advocate, even though I agree the storyline there last season and in the first episode of this season was pretty weak, despite the sand ladies being pretty fuego.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    white_tea said:
    Okem said:

Not sure what that's got to do with the show's Dorne plot line..?
    Pardon my ignorance but isn't the Tower of Joy, ahem, in Dorne?!? Maybe it's all part of the long game, with Samwell en route to Oldtown and eventually all of it will start to piece together. To some extent, I was just playing Dorne Advocate, even though I agree the storyline there last season and in the first episode of this season was pretty weak, despite the sand ladies being pretty fuego.
    Yeah, you're right. I'm sure in the end it'll eventually become relavent. But the show didn't want to go to the bother of introducing all the new characters necessary to make the whole Dorne story arc relevant, so it just became this weird one dimensional side show. 

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    What about non English language tv? Any of you down with some of those Scandinavian crime thrillers? Or Korean Doramas..? 

I've been watching an Italian tv show based on the Gomorrah book. I've never read the book, but it's entirely separate to the film of the same name. It's been compared to The Wire in the way it follows organised crime from the street level on up. Although it's reach is nowhere near broad and possibly because it focuses pretty much on the action of a group of Naples mafiosa, it has none of the lightheartedness or humour you find in The Wire, so it gets pretty brutal. They're don't pull their punches, it's kill you, your entire family and anybody who happens to get in the way. There's no 'victim of circumstances' or romance of a ghetto businessman come drug dealer, just the grim reality of making it in such a, literally, cut throat world. 

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    So.. the latest episode of GoT was a doozy. I still can't shake the feeling that the show is now one huge spoiler for the books. So many secrets reveal George must be kinda mad. 

SPOILERS if you haven't watched E05 yet. 

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Okem said:
    What about non English language tv? Any of you down with some of those Scandinavian crime thrillers? Or Korean Doramas..? 

I've been watching an Italian tv show based on the Gomorrah book. I've never read the book, but it's entirely separate to the film of the same name. It's been compared to The Wire in the way it follows organised crime from the street level on up. Although it's reach is nowhere near broad and possibly because it focuses pretty much on the action of a group of Naples mafiosa, it has none of the lightheartedness or humour you find in The Wire, so it gets pretty brutal. They're don't pull their punches, it's kill you, your entire family and anybody who happens to get in the way. There's no 'victim of circumstances' or romance of a ghetto businessman come drug dealer, just the grim reality of making it in such a, literally, cut throat world. 
    was that http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1242773/

we watched both series a little while back, highly recommended!

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    i don't want anything to do with scandinavian crime thrillers.

some nordic movies i liked:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0154420/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311519/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0827517/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0150662/

The only thing i watched lately that i liked is Rick and Morty.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2861424/