The rolling strut TV thread..

Comments

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Hodor!

Duderonomykicks79

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    the_dL said:
    Okem said:
    What about non English language tv? Any of you down with some of those Scandinavian crime thrillers? Or Korean Doramas..? 

I've been watching an Italian tv show based on the Gomorrah book. I've never read the book, but it's entirely separate to the film of the same name. It's been compared to The Wire in the way it follows organised crime from the street level on up. Although it's reach is nowhere near broad and possibly because it focuses pretty much on the action of a group of Naples mafiosa, it has none of the lightheartedness or humour you find in The Wire, so it gets pretty brutal. They're don't pull their punches, it's kill you, your entire family and anybody who happens to get in the way. There's no 'victim of circumstances' or romance of a ghetto businessman come drug dealer, just the grim reality of making it in such a, literally, cut throat world. 
    was that http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1242773/

we watched both series a little while back, highly recommended!

I was not aware of Romanzo Criminale I will have to check it out. The show I was talking about is just called Gomorrah, the second season has just started airing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gomorrah_(TV_series)
    the_dL

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    foe said:
    The only thing i watched lately that i liked is Rick and Morty.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2861424/
    Rick & Morty is one of the best shows going for sure. I love how much detail they pack in. 

It's come a long way from this (NSFW)

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Thanks I'll check out Gomorrah

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    cai said:
    Hodor!

I'm still not sold on this season. Would've preferred they weighted for Martin to write the episodes. The pacing nor dialogue is the same - when I think of the enjoyment I used to get from Arya and teh Hound, what comes close? Even Tyrion and Valeris isn't paying off when they have so little scheming to do.
    And where the fuck is Bron?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Just started watching that Kimmy Schmidt thing -. I like it!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Now that it's just Bran and Meera, do you guys think that Bran can... umm... extend the bloodline?

Most recent GoT was good - return of Teh Hound! Bit gutted that Lovejoy got bumped off so fucking quick though.

GoT episode "no one" was fucking great. The Hound is on song and Arya's story was  
    DOR

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    GOT highlights. The Hound and his axe. Also the Mountain ripping dudes head out of his body.

I also sniggered when the Hound said "I'd prefer chicken". Took me back to him & Arya fucking shit up.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I watch sports sometimes, usually on mute. For the pretty colors. I'll watch any soccer game with nationalist overtones, most playoffs, and every last thing on Red Bull TV. Bro. 

I started smoking pot a few years ago, had a great time tuning in to LL Cool J squashing terror plots in those thin sweaters. Loved it. LL Cool J! 

When was that Queen's Jubilee? That was the stoned rock bottom for me: watched a bunch of weird concerts without realizing I'd seen it all the previous week. Surreal time warp vibe. 

Weed has made me hyper-aware of acting, too. Kinda ruins the vibe sometimes, making me too hyper-aware and unable to get lost in the show (that's the goal. right?). I'll find myself thinking stoner thoughts too often--about how this show exists in a universe without LL Cool J, since nobody recognizes him as the guy who's taking out devious masterminds once a week. 

Weed: can't watch teevee with it, can't watch teevee without it. 

I am put off by the mega-serialization of all the shows, too. The only big time mega show I've watched is Mad Men, which I had to abandon at the Zoubeezoo episode--due, again to weed-induced acting-is-fake shock. I miss being able to just tune in one night, watch Thomas Magnum get mixed up and escape some bullshit, and bow out for afew weeks knowing the world will be the same when I get back. I can commit to an hour at a time, but an 80-hour super story seems too daunting. I know The Wire and Breaking Bad have to be great, but I'm gonna have to wait until I'm in a hospitalbed to even start one!

I did start watching Game of Thrones three weeks ago. Just jumped right in, and I'm capable of joining conversations at work about it. I don't know any characters' names, but I think I got it. They're going around to all the littler gangs to crew up and fight some guys up north. There's a sassy grandma who shuts down whippersnappers on the come up. The boy king is evil because he's gay. Lotsa YOU SHALL NEVER LORD OVER THE HOUSE OF GRONK, a variation on my favorite THIS IS MY JURISDICTION, MISTER FBI DIRECTOR, YOUR DEPARTMENT HAS OVERSTEPPED ITS BOUNDS! The opening sequence is cool, the fx seem to be leaning a little SyFy Channel, the acting very corny (yes, weed). I'll watch again tonight. If I remember. 

hyper-aware

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts

I did start watching Game of Thrones three weeks ago. Just jumped right in, and I'm capable of joining conversations at work about it. I don't know any characters' names, but I think I got it. They're going around to all the littler gangs to crew up and fight some guys up north. There's a sassy grandma who shuts down whippersnappers on the come up. The boy king is evil because he's gay. Lotsa YOU SHALL NEVER LORD OVER THE HOUSE OF GRONK, a variation on my favorite THIS IS MY JURISDICTION, MISTER FBI DIRECTOR, YOUR DEPARTMENT HAS OVERSTEPPED ITS BOUNDS! The opening sequence is cool, the fx seem to be leaning a little SyFy Channel, the acting very corny (yes, weed). I'll watch again tonight. If I remember. 
    cool, not watching game of throes has thrown my conversation game with the females a bit, now i know what to say. "i like the sassy grandma!"

• bassie2bassie2 56 Posts
    I've skipped Game of Thrones, too. Not really into fantasy or costumey stories. I was in the same room as a recent episode, though, and I had a good belly laugh when the blond gal swooped in on the dragon and vowed to destroy people's stone houses. They have dragons on the show!??!

I've seen a giant and a sorta giant and some big knight robots, but no dragons yet. Didn't watch this week's yet. I could see Sassy Grandma walking off set if they have her talking to a green screen* dragon though, she don't take no mess!

*paper mache

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I guess this qualifies as tv?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Hello, Cleveland! TBH the NBA Finals was the most riveting TV I've seen in some time. The Battle of the Bastards episode was OK, even if it was some straight-outta LOR deus ex machina. Like as if :: Spoilers :: Littlefinger wasn't somehow going to fingerbang the battlefield like Gandalf the White, is what I'm saying. It was supposed to be all about Jon Snow and he was out there battling just like Klay Thompson, crucial of course but not the most crucial. 

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    bassie2 said:
    I was in the same room as a recent episode, though, and I had a good belly laugh when the blond gal swooped in on the dragon and vowed to destroy people's stone houses.

I've seen a giant and a sorta giant and some big knight robots, but no dragons yet. Didn't watch this week's yet. I could see Sassy Grandma walking off set if they have her talking to a green screen* dragon though, she don't take no mess!

*paper mache
    can someone link me a scene of two of said Sassy Grandma? 

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    foe said:

that was too british for me, ill pass.

Okem said:
    foe said:

Even though I've known for awhile. It still blows my mind that Gran was Emma Peel.

The battle was so well shot. I didn't realize how much was real and not CGI.

Anyone interested should watch Anatomy of A Scene: The Battle of Winterfell

Duderonomy

It was one of the best shot battles I've ever watched, movie or tv series, and had me by turns shouting with frustration at John for falling into the trap and breathless with claustrophobia as he was smothered by bodies.

What the fuck sort hound was that at the end?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    DOR said:
    bassie2 said:
    I was in the same room as a recent episode, though, and I had a good belly laugh when the blond gal swooped in on the dragon and vowed to destroy people's stone houses.

I want to give props to this for how much it made me laugh!
    DOR

It was one of the best shot battles I've ever watched, movie or tv series
    Same. Right up there with Saving Private Ryan.

I was reading somewhere that the director went off script to do the whole Jon getting trampled scene.

Edit: It's from here

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/19/game-thrones-battle-director

Under the question of "I know that when shooting you look for story and character moments along the way, is there a good example of that?"

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Same guy who directed the Hardhome episode from last season. He seems to be the best director working on the show, the guy who directed the previous episode seems to be at the other end of that list. 

There's been some great stuff in this season's GOT but as a show it's moved firmly into 'great as long as you don't think about it too much' territory. I think the show runners are tldr'ing it somewhat because they know that the final season is going to be expensive as hell. White walker dead army vs dragons will be a mammoth feat of CG. I hope George sorts himself out soon and releases the next book, then I can go back to enjoying the show as a kind of cool companion piece. 

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    It was one of the best shot battles I've ever watched, movie or tv series, and had me by turns shouting with frustration at John for falling into the trap and breathless with claustrophobia as he was smothered by bodies.

What the fuck sort hound was that at the end?
    I'm pretty sure that was a mastiff making out with Ramsey. Nice doggie.

Damnnnnn. I don't care what anyone says. That episode was the shit!!! Someone let that Miguel Sapochnik direct the rest of the show til the very end.

AMAZING!

kicks79Duderonomy

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Yeah great GoT finale, no complaints here!!

I have to say it's fun to see Tim McInnerny (Captain Darling from Blackadder) again, I can't take him seriously!!