2016 - The great Boomer Die Off ?

Comments

• on a local level: sometimes it feels like folks in new orleans are still reeling from Soulja Slim's death (d. 2003). i was too young when biggie & pac died so can't really compare well what it was like at the time, but Slim seems to get remembered here a lot more than either of them.

• Of course when Pat Boone dies I'll probably take a shit.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    We are about to hear how Paul Kantner was the greatest genius of San Francisco psych.
    One of the greatest guitarist of all time he wrote and sang all the many #1 hits JA/JS/S had.

RIP

• LaserWolf said:
    We are about to hear how Paul Kantner was the greatest genius of San Francisco psych.
    One of the greatest guitarist of all time he wrote and sang all the many #1 hits JA/JS/S had.

RIP

Kantner wasn't even the lead guitarist in JA, never mind being in the GOAT discussion.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DOR said:
    A side question.

For Hip Hop.

Is there anyone in the whole hip hop universe who would have the same effect or larger as Biggie or Pac?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

RIP
    Kanter was a great song writer.  Without him there would be NO T.R.O.Y.

kicks79

• RAJ said:
    LaserWolf said:

RIP
    Kanter was a great song writer.  Without him there would be NO T.R.O.Y.

And he doesn't deserve to be associated with "We Built This City," which he had nothing to do with no matter what Wolfie might howl.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:
    I also don't know any one who cares about BS.

Batmon is right. Aretha will get as much press as James Brown and Ray Charles got. Which is about the same as what Glen Frey got.
    I bet 2 weeks ago many Eagles fans had no idea who Glen Frey was.

Just look at this forum. Glen Frey's passing got more notice than Otis Clays. Supposedly people here care about soul music, but not as much as they do Yacht Rock.
    Dude they were parading James Brown body around for the next month. Mainstream coverage was more than a week. 

also, FB had barely gotten going in 06 when JB died. was maybe at Harvard when Ray died? no twitter, no instagram, barely youtube.

if social media was like it is today, it would've been much, much crazier when they passed.
    The day I found out that Ray Charles died, I was hanging at the Chicago Blues Festival with my friend Eli. We're sitting on a curb like two kids at a parade, watching Lacy Gibson do his set, when Eli gets a text message out of nowhere. "Hey, I just found out that Ray Charles died!" Literally a second later, right when Lacy's song finishes up, one of the emcees strolls to the stage and announces Ray's death, followed by a minute of silence.

Social media wasn't as pervasive in 2004 as it is today, but it was getting there.

LaserWolf

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    ''Music would not be the same without the sounds of The Doors and Jefferson Airplane, which both contributed so heavily to the signature sound of the sixties and seventies'' - The Doors

these fuckin' guys

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I don't know what the social media reaction would to Leon Ware passing away, but it would sadden me incredibly.

• BTW, founding member Signe Anderson of Jefferson Airplane also died on the same day Kantner did.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    This thread disturbs me. Are you guys all that comfortable with death?

• This thread disturbs me. Are you guys all that comfortable with death?

I'm definitely not. 'Specially since my own mother, still alive and kicking, is prime baby-boomer age.

• This thread disturbs me. Are you guys all that comfortable with death?
    Nope, but my own death is easier to contemplate and accept - for lack of a better word -  than those I love. 

I was wrong.
    I thought Kantner would get the same overblown treatment as Glenn Frey and others.

What I have learned is; the Eagles are better than Jefferson Airplane. More important. More influential. Frey was a better musician and songwriter.

I am dumping my Airplane lps and buying every pressing variation of Hotel California.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    This thread disturbs me. Are you guys all that comfortable with death?

I'm definitely not. 'Specially since my own mother, still alive and kicking, is prime baby-boomer age.

I lost my mother about 7 months ago. Many of my thoughts have changed on the subject of death and now I find myself being much more open to discussing the subject, instead of acting like it will never happen and shying away from the conversation. I wish when my mother wanted to have those conversations I would have taken the time to have them and in great detail. I wasn't prepared emotionally, mentally and not having her wishes fully written out made the whole process wayyyy more difficult to handle and deal with.

pickwick33

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts
    I take the-vaguely-Marxist view that capitalism is one of the many distractions we indulge in to hide from the subject, and that teh system actively dissuades us from contemplating this too deeply... but I don't want to get all Earth Mother up in this biatch.
    Jimsterdukeofdelridge

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    Western culture and its religions ignore,glirify,trivialize or commodify death.
    The biggest Buddhist teaching is to think about your death often so you live more ....treat people and animals with deeper kindness....understand true impermanence  and to prepare for your own inevitable flight.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts

• LaserWolf said:
    I was wrong.
    I thought Kantner would get the same overblown treatment as Glenn Frey and others.

What I have learned is; the Eagles are better than Jefferson Airplane. More important. More influential. Frey was a better musician and songwriter.

I am dumping my Airplane lps and buying every pressing variation of Hotel California.

I saw it differently.

Of these three rock deaths (not that there weren't others), Bowie received the most respect - and tears.

Glenn Frey did, too, but it was grudgingly, as if to say, "yeah, the Eagles were a guilty pleasure, but we gotta give the man his credit."

Paul Kantner's death was merely acknowledged.

I'm not a Bowie fan, but I recognize that he has decades of hits and was still relevant up to the end. Fair to call him an artist.

But Glenn Frey? Eagles had an amazing string of AM hits, then he had some solo ones. But who cares? They didn't advance country rock, they took it mainstream.

The Airplane, by contrast were a ground breaking psych (or San Fran Sound) band. Kantner remained relevant into the 80s.

So why just a nod to Kantner, and loads of credit to Frey.
    Not just the press, but my Facebook feed as well, from people who would never have posted up an Eagles song before he died.

At least SS and facebook acknowledged Clarence Reid's death.

Maurice White?  Noooooooo!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,883 Posts
    Beat me to it.  Dropping like flies.

• LaserWolf said:

The Airplane, by contrast were a ground breaking psych (or San Fran Sound) band. Kantner remained relevant into the 80s.

I'll say what many won't.....the Jefferson Airplane were a terrible band who happened to be in the right place at the right time. Almost as unlistenable as Janis Joplin. Jefferson Starship was vomit inducing crapola that easily wiped out any credibility the Airplane might have had. Paul Kantner was never well known which explains why not one but two local TV News shows announced the death of Paul Kanter. 

LaserWolf said:

I'll say what many won't.....the Jefferson Airplane were a terrible band who happened to be in the right place at the right time. Almost as unlistenable as Janis Joplin. Jefferson Starship was vomit inducing crapola that easily wiped out any credibility the Airplane might have had. Paul Kantner was never well known which explains why not one but two local TV News shows announced the death of Paul Kanter. 
    Without Paul Kanter, this song would have never existed:

I really hope people understand I am talking about the phenom of some dead people being lifted to heights well beyond what they deserve, and others barely getting a mention. Eagles and Jefferson Airplane are the latest example. But loads of others.
    My current favorite Jefferson Airplane song.

Did anyone leave jazz and become pop star the way Maurice White did?
    Jazzers, Brubeck, Ramsey, Weather report, all had pop success, but they stayed in the jazz arena.

I'm thinking Roy Ayers, Patrice Rushen, moved out of jazz and into R&B.
    But not on the scale MW did.

Can't even think of anyone on the rock side. Zappa could be called an avant garde artist who had pop success.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Hetbie H

Quincy J
    LaserWolf

RIP Vanity!

asstro

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Gotta say the Jackson Brown / Eagles Grammy tribute to Glen Fry was a tear jerker. Hit me right in the feelings. 

https://vid.me/BGH9