2016 - The great Boomer Die Off ?

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    bassie2 said:
    Stevie Wonder 
    I know people who would have to stay home that day.
    Oh shit, I hadn't thought of him dying.  That will be the worst.  
    And his appeal is BROOOOOOOOAD.  He might break the internet more than a Macca or Jagger will.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts

Jimster said:
    Herbie.
    Herbie is so freakin healthy right now...

• ketan said:
    bassie2 said:
    Stevie Wonder 
    I know people who would have to stay home that day.
    Oh shit, I hadn't thought of him dying.  That will be the worst.  
    And his appeal is BROOOOOOOOAD.  He might break the internet more than a Macca or Jagger will.

going to be the worst, it's hard to even think about.

he just got announced for headlining Jazz Fest. saw him last year on the SITKOL tour but will definitely be going to see him again. 

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Sad and all. But who's getting their records?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    Jimster said:
    Herbie.
    Herbie is so freakin healthy right now...
    Still playing at peak level too.  'kin Buddhist! 

[dons orange loincloth]...

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Springsteen's death will cause havoc, won't it?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Abe Vigota RIP
    RAJ

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    From The Greatest Generation I am guessing.

Anyway, RIP Fish.

• Tessio was always smarter.

• "While living in Los Angeles, I'd jog three to five miles a day. One morning jogging, my agent calls about a new series called Barney Miller, saying, "Go there at once." Well, I was tired and exhausted ... I must have run five miles that morning. I said. "I have to go home and take a shower." "No, no, no. Go right now to Studio City, you're very right for it, they know you from The Godfather, they want to see you." "With my shorts?" "Go" Danny Arnold and Ted Flicker, the producers, look at me, I look at them, they look at me again. "You look tired." "Of course I'm tired, I jogged five miles this morning, I'm exhausted." "Yeah, yeah, tell me, you look like you have hemorrhoids." "What are you, a doctor or a producer?"'

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    Is this what all the FEMA Concentration Camp conspiracies are about?

• batmon said:
    Abe Vigota RIP

But maybe Abe Vigoda still lives.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Shatner will cause Internet meltdown.
    Green alien chick vibes and gifs all over the place.

Herbie Hancock, not so much.

Shakner (sic) memes will be all "BEAM ME UP, GOD!"

Put you mortgage on it.

Adam West?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Like, what's he doing in a list of actors?!?1?
    willie_fugal

RIP Torn... man got one foot in the grave already with an handle like that.

Imma call a skull with one raised eyebrow for Roger Moore.  I'd photoshop it but I don't have photoshop or a year to read the manual.

"THANK F*CK
    - The World"
    ^ chiselled on a gravestone for Jerry Lewis.

Michael Caine's mug from The Italian Job in front of the smoking remains of the Pearly Gates.  God be like... "You're not supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

YES IT IS A SLOW DAY.  WHAT OF IT?

Stevie!  Head back, shades on, smiling the smile...

"AM I DEAD?"

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Iggy Pop actually going on tour!

However...

The Philadelphia Music Alliance is heartbroken to report the passing last night of guitarist Thomas Joshua “ T.J.” Tindall, who was inducted twice into the PMA’s Walk of Fame during 2013 ceremonies as a member of MFSB and the Salsoul Orchestra.

“He was a vital member of MFSB’s famed rhythm section, which laid the foundation for the Sound of Philadelphia,” said PMA Board Chairman Alan Rubens. “You can hear his guitar on so many great hits out of Philadelphia from the ‘70s and ‘80s, from ‘Disco Inferno’ to ‘You’ll Never Find Another Love Like Mine.’ We truly lost one of our own.”

Tindall played on over 30 gold and platinum hits produced by legendary “Sound of Philadelphia” architects Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff (Gamble & Huff) for artists such as the O’Jays, the Trammps, Lou Rawls, Teddy Pendergrass, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, the Intruders, and the Three Degrees. He also played and recorded with Bonnie Raitt, the Chambers Brothers, the Jacksons, Robert Palmer, the Temptations, and many others. Most recently, the Trenton, NJ, native was brought out of retirement to play and record with In the Pocket, the all-star Philly tribute collective led by drummer David Uosikkinen of platinum Philly recording artists The Hooters.

“We just lost one of the greats,” said Uosikkinen. “He was the King of Soul Guitar, the northern version of Steve Cropper. No one played like TJ.” 

• damn, Shatner old! 

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Mel Brooks should be on that list as well, he's 89. And I will mourn him more than just about any of those actors.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im walking outta work when Adam West passes.
    LaserWolfDuderonomy

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    There is a lot I don't know about Philadelphia soul studio musicians.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    bassie2 said:
    Stevie Wonder 
    This over everyone else. And it will fuck me up for a long minute.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    day said:
    bassie2 said:
    Stevie Wonder 
    Call me a heartless bastard, but when someone has led a long life, and leaves behind a great body of music, my grief is tempered somewhat. When their great musical days are already long behind them, then my grief is often "I thought they died ages ago".

• i really liked Stevie in "California Roll" last year.

obviously not going to be considered his *great* work, but b/t that and his tour, he's staying more relevant than most cats of his vintage.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    Can't wait for all the dedication mixes and radio shows from every dj when Adam West passes away.

• day said:
    bassie2 said:
    Stevie Wonder 
    Call me a heartless bastard, but when someone has led a long life, and leaves behind a great body of music, my grief is tempered somewhat. When their great musical days are already long behind them, then my grief is often "I thought they died ages ago".
    People gonna die, and everyone we're talking about in this thread has had the benefit of wealth, adoration and enriching people's lives. A full and productive life is not no thing to be sure.

But it is the end of a spirit and a soul that has made this shitty place that much better. Stevie Wonder reps an era - a few of them actually -and as arbitrary and manufactured that is, it still means something if it has shaped you. Having someone who has been around as long as you have heard music and danced die means your own time is almost done, too. And as ok with death one might think they are, it's still scary and sad.

kicks79

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    A side question.

For Hip Hop.

Is there anyone in the whole hip hop universe who would have the same effect or larger as Biggie or Pac?

Seems to me that above those two, Dilla has the most enduring HH legacy.  Amongst Real Headz.

As for currently living?

No.

"Kurtis Blow died."
    "Was he the white guy with the long hair and the saxophone?"
    "No."

"Afrika Bambaataa died."
    "At least he ended Apartheid, right?"

"Big Daddy Kane died."
    "I know.  That 'Rosebud' thing, right?"
    Duderonomy