Mingering Mike - an IMAGINARY record collection?!

Comments

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    jinx74 said:
    ummm maybe im reading the post wrong but what do those 45s sound like?

buy any paper stuff too like pictures, letters, anything that deals with this stuff. envelopes, or anything that is associated with this. as cool as this is i love paper stuff and that is sometimes cooler than the actual music itself.

tip: never leave anything. take it all. tapes, reels, photos, 1 sheets, stationary, music, everything.

When you say "tapes" do you mean cassette tapes. 'Cause if I bought all the unlabeled cassette tapes I see out in the field I'd have no room or money left. Acetates and reels, sure. But cassette tapes? Any way, the frontier of digging is in the discount VHS & DVD bins at drug stores, Big Lots etc. Just like w/ records in the past, all the good shit ends up in the "cutout" bin

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    okay im jealous. its just envy i think. but seriously ive stopped working and bored all my coworkers about this shit.
    someone has to take pictures of all these things (including the tapes and 45s) and put them online. were there more pieces that other people bought besides secret chimp and fatback? if so track those people down to! need money....HOLLER.

with all these people hitting the site can soulstrut handle all the traffic?

once again this is one of the illest cops in a long time. what would be equally as hot, yet incredibly annoying, is if raj and dcas made this shit up just to get traffic on the site. hahaha...good job guys!

• I thought it about being a hoax....naw dude. There's a little big of Mingering Mike in all of us....What would be hilarious if dude finds a bunch of his later stuff and it's wack disco shit or some "throwback" drawing, then in classic Soulstrut fashion everyone debates how he already said it best 10 years ago.

Call "Raw Vision" EVENTUALLY! Have Mingering Mike get the fame all these young white people have been taking away from him.

BTW: IT IS CALLED "DIGGING" NO MORE. It's called "MINGERING".

• jinx74 said:

once again this is one of the illest cops in a long time. what would be equally as hot, yet incredibly annoying, is if raj and dcas made this shit up just to get traffic on the site. hahaha...good job guys!

nah, Raj & Sketch woulda left off the barcodes, and said they found 'em in Iowa or something.

I left my work duties behind, but I haven't bored anyone else at work today. Too much backstory, plus my boss'd be like, "you have a lot of posts for a guy who doesn't have internet @ home..."

• Not sure if everyone thinks this, but it looks like Mingering Mike was trying to really get a career going. The photo looks like a publicity shot. Maybe he was a regular on the local scene......Anyone fear his recordings are wack?

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    kingmost said:
    Not sure if everyone thinks this, but it looks like Mingering Mike was trying to really get a career going. The photo looks like a publicity shot. Maybe he was a regular on the local scene......Anyone fear his recordings are wack?

Yes I am very afraid of that!

• if mingering is related to slaughering, has it crossed anybody's mind that "Mingering Mike" might be someone with homocidal tendencies?

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    kingmost said:
    Not sure if everyone thinks this, but it looks like Mingering Mike was trying to really get a career going. The photo looks like a publicity shot. Maybe he was a regular on the local scene......Anyone fear his recordings are wack?

FEAR? Shit, I _HOPE_ the recordings are wack! I hope for a dude hittin' a bucket singin gong-show style into a tape recorder.

-pj

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Chimps filling his trunk with all things Mingering right now. Last reports included additional finds such as some 8 tracks hand painted with "Mike's Mix", some "personal items" and some 8mm film reels. Turns out this storage space had everything MM ever owned. Chimp even bought Mingering Mike's 25 year old garlic powder.

If MM's around--God, I hope--me and Chimp are gonna find him and run him against Bush and Dean on The Dragon Brother Ticket.

Mingering Mike, 2004!

(Of course, Big Dynamic "D" will be VP.)

• I just ran through all my underwear.
    I'm just sitting in these soiled kickers waiting for more Mingering Mike!

GOTTA HAVE MORE.
    RAJ OPEN A SECTION OF SOULSTRUT TO HOST IMAGES OF THIS STUFF!

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Understatement of the year... please don't be mad at me Chimp for doing a little snooping... wait till yall see the ones Chimp is not showing yet... Mingering illness... Sickle Cell gold vinyl pressing... The USA Puppet Force like whoa!... The Two Sides Of Mingering Mike... wait yall, watch...

• USA Puppet Force
    I just peeped that one on the mingermikerareishlink!

Oh my goodness.

Art score of the year.
    Period

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    Ain't No Sunshine cover on the Sickle Cell LP!

Like WHOA!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    And with the mingering mike love getting blogged all over the world, we've just made our sequel: Nerds in Paradise.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    pj4533 said:
    kingmost said:

FEAR? Shit, I _HOPE_ the recordings are wack! I hope for a dude hittin' a bucket singin gong-show style into a tape recorder.

-pj

This is all straight serious, my man. We have no idea what's on these tapes. Like all ya'll, we hope for something good.

It's all just starting to sink in. I mean, I was going through the dude's 45s earlier today and I come across several copies of "Funky Nassau" right next to several copies of "Careless Whisper" then like, 50 Sussex titles and then 50 Bete Midler titles. It's all over the place! Then there's the tapes, the videos, the reel to reels, the 8mm films, the towels...FUCK!

I need a drink.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    damn, see how many views? see how many people on RIGHT NOW?

damn... "everytime i try to get out, they pull me back in".

IT IS OFFICIAL

Mingering Mike has brought AlienIVERSON back from the dead.

good to be back, gang. i don't know how long it will last, but you know i have to be here to witness this shit. best drama since sonny VS alcazar on general hospital.

challah!

• I just gotta get up on this and echo once again
    OH MAH GAAAAAHHHDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait til you dudes start going through that storage stash...

• Mingering Mike...the real patron saint of crate digging!

This story has inspired me to put an end to my petty feud with Jawnny Cash. What do you say Jawn? Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?

• In reply to an earlier post:
    I think "mingering" means mixing, judging by the way it was used in the meatpacking article and on dictionary.com "minge" means to mix.
    Maybe Mike was a DJ.

• most amazing things i've seen in a long time! wall worthy for sure.

MINGE is also brit slang for VAGINA. i'm surprised that this has'nt been mentioned yet. peace, stein. . .

• KARLITO said:
    jinx74 said:
    ummm maybe im reading the post wrong but what do those 45s sound like?

buy any paper stuff too like pictures, letters, anything that deals with this stuff. envelopes, or anything that is associated with this. as cool as this is i love paper stuff and that is sometimes cooler than the actual music itself.

tip: never leave anything. take it all. tapes, reels, photos, 1 sheets, stationary, music, everything.

When you say "tapes" do you mean cassette tapes. 'Cause if I bought all the unlabeled cassette tapes I see out in the field I'd have no room or money left. Acetates and reels, sure. But cassette tapes? Any way, the frontier of digging is in the discount VHS & DVD bins at drug stores, Big Lots etc. Just like w/ records in the past, all the good shit ends up in the "cutout" bin

I once bought a batch of unlabeled old cassette tapes at a car boot sale, I listened to them back at home and the first one was a recording of a woman singing with her little children in their house...It gave me such a spooky and weird feeling that I throwed away all the tapes and I promised myself never to buy anything like that...

• I laughed hard seeing this because "minga" means "cock" in spanish!!

• A little late, but absolutely fanstastic. Thanks for sharing this with the world.

Drawings remind me somewhat of some of the album cover work for Fela.

That's just jaw-dropping, well done guys.

• landon said:
    Mingering Mike...the real patron saint of crate digging!

This story has inspired me to put an end to my petty feud with Jawnny Cash. What do you say Jawn? Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?

OK Landon, it's your lucky day. Let's bury the hatchet. In the glorious light of Mingering Mike, I come to realize my crates just aren't as bulletproof as I thought. Whaddya say we team up and jack Secret Chimp for his Mingering Mike collection?

I'll call the four Nelly Olesons of the apocalypse, you get your punk ass crew together and we'll roll up on that fool and take Mingering Mike to Heaven where he rightly belongs.

Oh, and leave that punk Merlin Olsen at home.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    Secret Chimp, this is obviously an unusual find. Apart from Fatback's 45s discovery. And since he couldn't find as many on his second visit as he had seen on the first visit, somebody else must have picked up a few copies as well, right?

The mystery of those cardboard pieces is of course intriguing. As is the fact that somebody would have gone to such length and made SO MANY fake albums and singles. Add to this the odds that that person (or a relative ?) would put it in storage for 30 years and somebody would then pick it up and offer it for sale between "real" records.

By now, though, I have to say that I find the reaction on this board almost as interesting as the find. Or may be even more.

Allow me to be a killjoy for a moment, please.
    Not being a big fan of mahy forms of folk art anyway (this is how we've categorized this now, haven't we?) I might have a negative bias to start of with, but honestly, even if the idea's are good, the quality of the work is not all that, is it?
    If you consider the presumed date of creation (1970s) and the demographics of the location of your find (Chocolate City) the themes of these covers are not that surprizing, are they?
    I can not help but think of "relevance" and "impact" as helpful categories to look at creative work as much as "self expression" and general "quality".
    Did Mindering Mike engage any audience with his works?. For all we know, Mingering Mike could have been a doodling child, a hermit without money for the records he desired or a wannabe record-sleeve designer who failed all applications - apart from the Sir Joe Quarterman job

Imagine people storing away all the spare print-outs of covers they've Photoshop'ed for their CD-Rs. Would we be as fascinated in 2035 if somebody found those? Think of all the creative work that people have displayed here on Soul Strut with manipulated images. Did MM ever engage anyone with his works in the way they have done?

Ann odd-ball find, for sure. Interesting and intriguing, to some extend. But is there ultimately more to it?
    That's what I frequently ask myself when reading Dante's Left-Field Americana in Wax Poetics, by the way.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Look for Mingering Mike in Baltimore. No self respecting Washingtonian would record with The Colts Band.

Dan

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Look for Mingering Mike in Baltimore. No self respecting Washingtonian would record with The Colts Band.

Dan

Here, here. That's the truth.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Cheesus - its Minger Mania 'round here. Over 4000 views?!
    Wow.
    I can't wait to see what becomes of all this.
    Mingering Mike DVD/LP boxset.
    Prolla!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Yemsky said:
    Secret Chimp, this is obviously an unusual find. Apart from Fatback's 45s discovery. And since he couldn't find as many on his second visit as he had seen on the first visit, somebody else must have picked up a few copies as well, right?

The mystery of those cardboard pieces is of course intriguing. As is the fact that somebody would have gone to such length and made SO MANY fake albums and singles. Add to this the odds that that person (or a relative ?) would put it in storage for 30 years and somebody would then pick it up and offer it for sale between "real" records.

By now, though, I have to say that I find the reaction on this board almost as interesting as the find. Or may be even more.

Allow me to be a killjoy for a moment, please.
    Not being a big fan of mahy forms of folk art anyway (this is how we've categorized this now, haven't we?) I might have a negative bias to start of with, but honestly, even if the idea's are good, the quality of the work is not all that, is it?
    If you consider the presumed date of creation (1970s) and the demographics of the location of your find (Chocolate City) the themes of these covers are not that surprizing, are they?
    I can not help but think of "relevance" and "impact" as helpful categories to look at creative work as much as "self expression" and general "quality".
    Did Mindering Mike engage any audience with his works?. For all we know, Mingering Mike could have been a doodling child, a hermit without money for the records he desired or a wannabe record-sleeve designer who failed all applications - apart from the Sir Joe Quarterman job

Imagine people storing away all the spare print-outs of covers they've Photoshop'ed for their CD-Rs. Would we be as fascinated in 2035 if somebody found those? Think of all the creative work that people have displayed here on Soul Strut with manipulated images. Did MM ever engage anyone with his works in the way they have done?

Ann odd-ball find, for sure. Interesting and intriguing, to some extend. But is there ultimately more to it?
    That's what I frequently ask myself when reading Dante's Left-Field Americana in Wax Poetics, by the way.

Dude, I think you're missing it. These album covers were like a personal diary to this guy. I think for the most part, we are responding out of the human spirit that is evident in MM's work. I personally am seeing a real genuine person, with very noble ideas. Sure it might not be technically amazing, but you can tell that he put his HEART into these covers, and a lot of thoughtful decisions. This is something you rarely see with all these photoshop kids making fake CD covers.

I want to see his lyric sheets.

• Yemsky said:

Damn you just about dissed all my favorite kinds of people.

Okay, so you are only into artists with big, breathing
    audiences, in their day.

P-Funk was the bomb though.

To me this stuff is like gold, like Henry Darger meets Pedro Bell.