Deflategate and All Things Superbowl

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    amphibious said:
    y'all never tried to play basketball in the winter and had no bounce?

Rubber has higher elasticity at moderate temperatures, at low temperatures it becomes stiff and brittle. For that reason two basketballs with the same exact air pressure will bounce higher in warm temperatures than the one in extreme cold.

Would you agree that whatever natural phenomenom that supposedly caused the Patriot footballs to "deflate" would have had the same exact effect on the Colts footballs? And why didn't it happen to the balls they took out of the locker room into the same cold temperatures in the second half?

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

But that is just one part of the sucked out fun. Injuries, penalties, tv time outs, and video reviews, has added an extra 2-3hrs to the game.

All for 11 or so minutes of actual action. That's bad value!

cove said:
    LaserWolf said:

But that is just one part of the sucked out fun. Injuries, penalties, tv time outs, and video reviews, has added an extra 2-3hrs to the game.

All for 11 or so minutes of actual action. That's bad value!

Last years Super Bowl was the most watched TV show in American television history.

Chances are the deflategate hype will cause this years to set a new record.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    this is what this thread is starting to look like to me:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107926751

• Rockadelic said:
    amphibious said:

Rubber has higher elasticity at moderate temperatures, at low temperatures it becomes stiff and brittle. For that reason two basketballs with the same exact air pressure will bounce higher in warm temperatures than the one in extreme cold.

Would you agree that whatever natural phenomenom that supposedly caused the Patriot footballs to "deflate" would have had the same exact effect on the Colts footballs? And why didn't it happen to the balls they took out of the locker room into the same cold temperatures in the second half?

Amphibious is exactly right, of course. Rock is embarrassing himself by denying a basic law of physics.

I suppose it shows that you can educate a person in New York, where education is generally good, but if you then move that person to Texas, where education is generally an afterthought, a lot of knowledge is lost.

One more time. Inflate a ball to 13 PSI in a 75 degree environment and move it to a 50 degree environment and it will lose pressure. That's not an option on a menu, it's an immutable scientific fact. It's not my fault that Rock can't fathom that because his neighbors all think dinosaurs were riding animals. Maybe he can petition President Romney to repeal the various scientific laws his balls don't agree with.

• That bodybuilding forum thread on workout scheduling was mind boggling. Thank you so much for posting it. It actually made this thread worthwhile...

• Rock's non sequitur about the elasticity of basketballs deserves some additional scorn here. It's true that elasticity diminishes in the cold. No educated person would deny that. But it is also true that the air pressure in the basketball diminishes in the cold. Inflate a ball in a heated gym and take it outdoors in the cold and see what happens.

Lazy's odd complaint about 2-3 hours being added to game times was almost as funny.

The way things are devolving around here I may have to post the recipe for ice soon.

LazarusOblong said:
    Rockadelic said:
    amphibious said:

Amphibious is exactly right, of course. Rock is embarrassing himself by denying a basic law of physics.

I suppose it shows that you can educate a person in New York, where education is generally good, but if you then move that person to Texas, where education is generally an afterthought, a lot of knowledge is lost.

One more time. Inflate a ball to 13 PSI in a 75 degree environment and move it to a 50 degree environment and it will lose pressure. That's not an option on a menu, it's an immutable scientific fact. It's not my fault that Rock can't fathom that because his neighbors all think dinosaurs were riding animals. Maybe he can petition President Romney to repeal the various scientific laws his balls don't agree with.

I would reply but Neil deGrasse Tyson, Bill Nye and I are headed out to the Dinosaur Rodeo.

b/w
    I'm just waiting for an explanation of why it didn't happen to the Colts balls?

• Rockadelic said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    Rockadelic said:
    amphibious said:

I would reply but Neil deGrasse Tyson, Bill Nye and I are headed out to the Dinosaur Rodeo.

b/w
    I'm just waiting for an explanation of why it didn't happen to the Colts balls?

Tyson has backtracked already and admitted that his initial dismissal of the temperature explanation was premature and based on a faulty analysis.

I don't know if it happened or didn't to the Colts balls. I don't know if both sets were inflated under the same conditions or to the same PSI. Nor do you.

But you are denying settled science, which is funny as hell to watch when a grown man does it.

• Dude denying science is hott right now. You underestimate how appealing it is!!

• NFL officiating head Dean Blandino admitted today that the ball PSIs were not recorded before the game.

Swell.

It's hard for me to compete with your superior intellect and neverending stream of stale insults but I'll give it one more shot.

Yes, it is a scientific fact that the psi of an inflated object will decrease when taken from hot/warm temperatures into extreme cold. Undeniable. Most of the supporters of the 15% reduction theory have stated it's "not impossible".

This is one of the two "logical" theories of how "deflategate" unfolded.

The second theory is that a human deflated the balls manually....also "not impossible" even in the short 90 seconds as some have proven OR on the field as Jeff Blake has stated was commonplace in the NFL.

Circumstantial evidence:
    Brady is on record as stating he prefers the balls to be under inflated.

The NFL who now has egg on it's face could have easily said that both teams balls were underinflated because of the atmospheric pressure change and avoided all this. The possible reasons they didn't are 1) They have it out for the Pats and want to make them look like cheaters and show the integrity of their sport was compromised....2) They didn't bother checking the Colt's footballs which I find not impossible, but improbable.

At least one NFL Quarterback has come out and said this practice was so commonplace that it happened in all 100 games he started in. So we know it takes place, and for all I know EVERY team does it, but not the Pats, oh no, they are above that.

Respected players like Chris Carter, Jerry Rice and Troy Aikman(to name just a few) have also stated that like me, they believe the footballs were tampered with by a human.

The Pats have been caught cheating before and while the owner Mr. Kraft had enough integrity to admit guilt, Belicheat never did. His defense at that time was at first "it never happened" and then "I thought it was legal".

When faced with those two possibilites common sense and logic makes me choose the latter and I'm not shocked that an arrogant Pats fan disagrees.

Of course there is always the tin foil hat conspiracy theory floating out there that the NFL created this entire charade to deflect away from the Ray Rice/Adrian Peterson/etc./etc. issues leading up to the Super Bowl........I don't believe that one either.

• BeatChemist said:
    Dude denying science is hott right now. You underestimate how appealing it is!!

Maybe if I stick a needle in my brain and let a lobe or two out I'll get there.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    this is what this thread is starting to look like to me:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107926751

Omg. Just found a new place to hang!

• Rockadelic said:
    It's hard for me to compete with your superior intellect and neverending stream of stale insults but I'll give it one more shot.

Yes, it is a scientific fact that the psi of an inflated object will decrease when taken from hot/warm temperatures into extreme cold. Undeniable. Most of the supporters of the 15% reduction theory have stated it's "not impossible".

This is one of the two "logical" theories of how "deflategate" unfolded.

The second theory is that a human deflated the balls manually....also "not impossible" even in the short 90 seconds as some have proven OR on the field as Jeff Blake has stated was commonplace in the NFL.

Circumstantial evidence:
    Brady is on record as stating he prefers the balls to be under inflated.

The NFL who now has egg on it's face could have easily said that both teams balls were underinflated because of the atmospheric pressure change and avoided all this. The possible reasons they didn't are 1) They have it out for the Pats and want to make them look like cheaters and show the integrity of their sport was compromised....2) They didn't bother checking the Colt's footballs which I find not impossible, but improbable.

At least one NFL Quarterback has come out and said this practice was so commonplace that it happened in all 100 games he started in. So we know it takes place, and for all I know EVERY team does it, but not the Pats, oh no, they are above that.

Respected players like Chris Carter, Jerry Rice and Troy Aikman(to name just a few) have also stated that like me, they believe the footballs were tampered with by a human.

The Pats have been caught cheating before and while the owner Mr. Kraft had enough integrity to admit guilt, Belicheat never did. His defense at that time was at first "it never happened" and then "I thought it was legal".

When faced with those two possibilites common sense and logic makes me choose the latter and I'm not shocked that an arrogant Pats fan disagrees.

Of course there is always the tin foil hat conspiracy theory floating out there that the NFL created this entire charade to deflect away from the Ray Rice/Adrian Peterson/etc./etc. issues leading up to the Super Bowl........I don't believe that one either.

Wow. I taught you some science today. So why did you answer Amphibious with that elasticity semi-answer when his comment was undeniably correct?

Never mind, I know the answer.

I love your endless dishonesty in these arguments. You cite Jeff Blake as if he's the final word, then several other former QBs who have taken the anti-Pats side. You could not possibly admit to knowing of the existence of QBs taking the Pats side, because they don't exist in Rockworld, and the ones who exist in the real world are lying. So when Drew Brees agrees with Brady that he wouldn't notice that pressure difference in a game he doesn't count or he's lying.

Again, this is all bullshit since the pre-game PSIs are unknown, unrecorded, and the league looks like a gang of incompetent rubes. Ask the respected Troy Aikman if HE deflated balls. According to you if he did he's a cheater who must also have cheated in other ways. Absurd.

Belichick's "arrogance" is fully earned and he should cordially tell all of his critics in this bogus scandal to kiss his ass. He's playing chess and they're wagging their junk in public.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    BTW: the Colts balls were checked and all found to be with in 1psi of 12.5.
    All of NE's 2nd half balls were also checked and were within 1psi of 12.5psi.

Only blinded NE fans think selective balls were effected by "extremes" of going from 70o to 40o.

So, any thoughts on the football game?
    I've got Seattle by 5.

At least you admit Bill is a cheater, something his earned arrogance has prevented him from doing.

• Rockadelic said:
    At least you admit Bill is a cheater, something his earned arrogance has prevented him from doing.

Your unearned arrogance won't let you admit you were either wrong or just being a pissant in your response to Amphibious.

So which is it?

• LaserWolf said:

Only blinded NE fans think selective balls were effected by "extremes" of going from 70o to 40o.

I've got Seattle by 5.

Hey, dumbass, all balls would be affected by that temperature drop. Pay attention.

And the league is now admitting they don't know what the PSIs were. So find your finest hat and mail it to Bill Belichick c/o the Patriots.

LazarusOblong said:
    Rockadelic said:

Your unearned arrogance won't let you admit you were either wrong or just being a pissant in your response to Amphibious.

So which is it?

Having spent many winters shoveling snow and playing basketball in sub freezing weather I can assure you hard/brittle rubber will effect how a ball bounces more than a one pound loss in air pressure.

It didn't take long to figure out a ball stored in a warm house would bounce better and longer than one stored in an unheated garage.

• Rockadelic said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    Rockadelic said:

So which is it?

Having spent many winters shoveling snow and playing basketball in sub freezing weather I can assure you hard/brittle rubber will effect how a ball bounces more than a one pound loss in air pressure.

Prove me wrong.

Your argument from experience fails since I have much more experience than you do in the winter department. Yesterday alone I spent about 10 hours shoveling snow. And on Christmas I shot some hoops on an asphalt court. That ball does get softer, boss, and you know it.

So I win by your own weird standard.

• Rockadelic said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    Rockadelic said:

So which is it?

It didn't take long to figure out a ball stored in a warm house would bounce better and longer than one stored in an unheated garage.

Sure.

For a while.

That's called SCIENCE. It works.

You win

• Rockadelic said:
    You win

I know.

The league also admitted today that you couldn't tell the 'deflated' balls from spec ones "unless you did something extraordinary" to them.

Goodell is going to be giving Kraft's dogs daily handjobs before this is all over.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

I've got Seattle by 5.

You placed a bet like that or are just saying it? Line is Pats by 1-2 so I would bet Seattle expecting them to win by at least a field goal.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Just saying.
    My money is in my pocket.

• It gets better.

The PSIs weren't logged before the game.

They weren't logged at halftime, either.

A nation of idiots - okay, half a nation - has been screaming "cheaters" like brain-damaged parrots for a week and a half now. Those screamers are now revealed to be easily-duped dipshits who should slink away in shame and refrain from offering their opinions about anything more complicated than their favorite pudding-pop flavor forevermore.

Goodell's next job should be the rabbit at a dog track.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Pats by 21.

• shout out to my real Africans out there.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    JonnyPaycheck said:
    shout out to my real Africans out there.

There was a couple in front of me on the train this morning talking in some language I didn't understand for a while when suddenly the dude points out the window as we're passing through the South Bronx and says quite clearly "Africa". Only English word he said the whole time. Blew my mind. True story.

In other news, Seattle's mascot is Dave Matthews.