Where the F*%k is the 2014 NBA Thread?!?!!

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    On another note, us LA folks knew it already, but skinny ass Trevor Ariza is a gangsta. Runs right in the middle of that KG/Dwight scuffle and holds off KG.

I would pay to see a KG/Dwight fight.....you could almost hear KG saying "ohhh. oh my god (can't believe dude put his hands on me)"

Do yourself a favor and watch the Russell Westbrook locker room interview after the GSW game.....pure comedy. "Execution. We just executed." Really don't blame him and others for these dumb ass questions.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Yuichi,

Did you notice how much trouble GSW had with OKC taking the ball inside and defending on the perimeter? That game provided a little evidence of why I have misgivings about GSW. They really have bad offensive possessions sometimes (hell, OKC does too), and they don't defend that well in the paint. Jumpers don't fall as well in game 5 of the playoffs when you're down 3-1 (for instance). I'm really looking ahead to playoff time in my comments about GSW and a lot of other teams that like to play a lot on the perimeter (e.g., Houston, Toronto, OKC, Portland, etc.). Again, if GSW shore up the above issues, then they will be serious contenders for the chip.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• russ westbrook finally had the game we've all been waiting for him to have for years.

17-15-15 is an MVP statline.

if they offered russ a bonus incentive for triple doubles i bet the thunder would win a LOT more games.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Yuichi,

Did you notice how much trouble GSW had with OKC taking the ball inside and defending on the perimeter? That game provided a little evidence of why I have misgivings about GSW. They really have bad offensive possessions sometimes (hell, OKC does too), and they don't defend that well in the paint. Jumpers don't fall as well in game 5 of the playoffs when you're down 3-1 (for instance). I'm really looking ahead to playoff time in my comments about GSW and a lot of other teams that like to play a lot on the perimeter (e.g., Houston, Toronto, OKC, Portland, etc.). Again, if GSW shore up the above issues, then they will be serious contenders for the chip.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

And you'll notice that both Bogut and Iguodola were in suits on the bench

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    True Motown, but Iggy wouldn't have made much of a difference. Bogut's absence, however, really hurts them. He has to be healthy at playoff time for GSW to go deep. They could use another quality big man before playoff time.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    So which of the NBA division leaders are scoring in the paint?

LaserWolf said:

Hey Laser,

Chicago, Memphis, and San Antonio exhibit good post play. Gortat and Nene for the Wizards take it to the paint too (and they should do it even more). Also, Portland does it to a degree when LaMarcus Aldridge decides to take it inside. He takes way too many 18 footers, and could be on the line 20 times a game if he'd be more aggressive. I really like that squad, but they settle for perimeter shots too much. If a team has good bigs, then they should go about punishing the defense by being aggressive inside. I don't get how the NBA teams have gone into a pattern of settling for jump shots so much. Oh well, I guess that's the style of play these days.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Was trying to think of a piece worth trading for Brook Lopez.

Last night the Warriors did not play up to the standards they've set for themselves this year. Sloppy ball on offense and defense. Everyone turns in a stinker every now and again, it's not some great indictment of their chances.

Iggy is one of their best defenders and a good glue guy. The game was close, he could've given them a boost. Still, thunder when they're thirsty on home court are a hard kill.

True, Jonny!!! To me, GSW just have to shore up their interior and not settle for jumpers so many much (penetrate and dish more), and they have a real shot. I've seen great shooters come up cold during the playoffs too many times. Good possessions really matter, as Miami learned last year.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    You do not want Lopez in the middle of Ibaka, Durant, Waiters and Westbrook.

JonnyPaycheck said:
    Still, thunder when they're thirsty on home court are a hard kill.

This. And OKC obviously has a much greater sense of urgency than GSW right now.

I was just looking at the standings the other day, and thought if GSW can get home-court throughout the playoffs, then.....maybe....
    Talk about Seattle's 12th man? That crowd at Oracle is something. I am a believer.

OKC, Memphis, SAS, GSW....elite. Any of these teams can win the West.

Big_Stacks said:
    LaserWolf said:

Hey Laser,

Chicago, Memphis, and San Antonio exhibit good post play. Gortat and Nene for the Wizards take it to the paint too (and they should do it even more). Also, Portland does it to a degree when LaMarcus Aldridge decides to take it inside. He takes way too many 18 footers, and could be on the line 20 times a game if he'd be more aggressive. I really like that squad, but they settle for perimeter shots too much. If a team has good bigs, then they should go about punishing the defense by being aggressive inside. I don't get how the NBA teams have gone into a pattern of settling for jump shots so much. Oh well, I guess that's the style of play these days.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Blazers just lost to SAS and Memphis (and Clippers) so maybe you are on to something.

Portland's starting center has been out for a few weeks, and will be out for a few more.

Hey Laser,

Yep, Robin Lopez also is key to Portland's potential success. Blazers are really underutilizing their potential inside strength, and they are paying for it. There are a lot of good bigs in the West, so teams need to make better use of their inside presence both offensively and defensively. Also, aggressive play inside will help draw double-teams and open things up for the perimeter guys. Maybe I'm old school, but I think the teams that utilize their bigs the best will have an advantage in going for the title.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

yuichi said:

OKC is 19-20 and came out the gate slow w/ Durant gone half the first half. 9th in the West.
    How are they elite?

batmon said:
    yuichi said:

OKC is 19-20 and came out the gate slow w/ Durant gone half the first half. 9th in the West.
    How are they elite?

Execution. They did a good job executing.

It is obvious to say that OKC started weak.
    It is foolish to write them off.

Look where SAS are climbing back from.

A team outside the top 8 is not elite.

They beat GSW and now your placing them at the same table as the top teams.

Please clarify elite vs theyre gonna find their rhythm down the line.

Im not writing them off. Dude placed them with Atlanta and GSW.

The Spurs are reigning champs....OKC cannot be given the same space.

Under 500 is not elite.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    yuichi said:

Top Post!!

The Suns & Lakers are elite since they executed against GSW.

batmon said:
    The Suns & Lakers are elite since they executed against GSW.

Yea.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    yuichi said:

Record related.
    Marshawn's Fundraiser dinner is at the Edgewater Inn in Seattle, immortalized by Frank Zappa.

The Hawks are not elite.
    They play in the East.

• LaserWolf said:
    The Hawks are not elite.
    They play in the East.

the atlanta hawks have won 26 of their last 28 including a west coast road trip against healthy, fully manned squads.....

HOWEVER;

the only teams that i can refer to as "elite" are team that won the last championship and the team that is going to win the next championship. despite his accelerated age, tim duncan has more 50+ win seasons than 26 other nba squads (17) on his own, and he's still getting it done. THAT is elite.

b/w

vintageinfants said:
    2013-14 indiana pacers.

vintageinfants said:
    LaserWolf said:
    The Hawks are not elite.
    They play in the East.

the atlanta hawks have won 26 of their last 28 including a west coast road trip against healthy, fully manned squads.....

HOWEVER;

the only teams that i can refer to as "elite" are team that won the last championship and the team that is going to win the next championship. despite his accelerated age, tim duncan has more 50+ win seasons than 26 other nba squads (17) on his own, and he's still getting it done. THAT is elite.

b/w

vintageinfants said:
    2013-14 indiana pacers.

Hey VintageInfants,

For some reason, people are forgetting that clutch play is LEARNED! It was evident last evening when the Indianapolis Colts got that ass spanked by the trial-proven, super experienced New England Patriots. So, all I have been saying up in this thread is that those up-and-coming teams need to prove they can execute effectively in the playoffs when the stakes go up. Experienced teams like the Spurs that have their execution down to a science ALWAYS have an advantage going into the playoffs. Younger teams have to go through some trials to learn how to play during high-stakes situations (and usually losing, at first). I'm sure Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen would agree that their run-ins with the Pistons in the 1989 and 1990 playoffs prepared them for their initial championship run.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• i couldn't agree with you more.

the Warriors and the Hawks are meteors burning bright but merely streaking across the sky. intensely fun to watch and painfully easy to find yourself a fan of. the Spurs have proven to be more like a tide going in and out; never changing and in control of the world, not to mention easily taken for granted.

problem is, changing tide doesn't look good on sportscenter, meteors do.

• b/w

99-03 minnesota timberwolves

So easy for a fan to proclaim SAS as the model team now (team ball, yadax2).

I been saying Tony Parker is a HOF'er and top 3 Pg in the league like 5 years ago.

b/w

You don't rack up wins by purely highlights. The Hawks/Warriors are untested, but that's what makes them wildcards and creates some drama. You give credit where credit is due, and those two teams have thus far played the most consistent basketball (regular season or not).

b/w

Everything looks good when your team has one of the worst records.

vintageinfants said:
    i couldn't agree with you more.

the Warriors and the Hawks are meteors burning bright but merely streaking across the sky. intensely fun to watch and painfully easy to find yourself a fan of. the Spurs have proven to be more like a tide going in and out; never changing and in control of the world, not to mention easily taken for granted.

problem is, changing tide doesn't look good on sportscenter, meteors do.

Vintage, the correct term is SPLASH.