Where the F*%k is the 2014 NBA Thread?!?!!

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    and the warriors still one the first game against the bulls

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    motown67 said:
    and the warriors still one the first game against the bulls

So when Bogut and the other bench dude get back, rebounds and interior defense wont be an issue anymore?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Klay Thompson's performance was kinda of good, but unless he takes it inside more and starts posting up and rebounding more the Warriors wont win any games.

• the Warriors were up by 5 late in the 4th, down by 2 on the last possession, managed to take it to OT and lost on a hand-in-the-face shot by a former MVP. You guys are acting like it was a blow out.

This is why i liked it in the pre-season when everyone had the Warriors as a middle-low seed in the west. Calm down, we got this

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    You mad, Motown?

I stayed up past midnight to watch that game after, yes, seeing in person the Bulls lose to GS in December or whenever. So the Warriors didn't have Bogut while the Bulls were missing Jimmy Butler and Mike Dunleavy, and Rose had 11 turnovers and shot it like 30 times to get his 30 points. The Warriors needed a career game from Draymond Green to beat them the first time, while Chicago fended up off a season-high from David Lee the second time. Sure the Warriors went ice-cold from beyond the arc in the second half but their home streak was bound to end at some point while Klay can't always have 37-point 3Q's. I'm allowing myself to dream of these teams meeting in the Finals and I tweeted "Best/worst game ever." Not mad but slightly hungover.

Im not really worried about overall W & L right now. That's little picture shit.

I wanna see good teams strengthen whatever weaknesses that can get exposed or exploited a 7 game series.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    batmon said:
    Im not really worried about overall W & L right now. That's little picture shit.

I wanna see good teams strengthen whatever weaknesses that can get exposed or exploited a 7 game series.

Well, I'm glad da gawd batmon was able to find a moment to weigh on this little-picture (needs a hyphen) shit.

Bigger-picture for the Bulls, Noah had his best game of the year with a solid double-double. Obviously, him and Pau were cleaning the glass all night; the Bulls' success this year hinges a lot on Noah's health, and how successfully those two starters can gel. Gasol has played so good and I'm bracing myself for him to fall off or have an injury, with how much Chicago has relied on him so far. Aside from Kirk Hinrich's clutch 3 at the end of regulation, homeboy should head back to his home town of Sioux City, Iowa, where the airport has the apropos code #sux. Mirotic was fumbling all over the place but it was good comedy.

• white_tea said:

Aside from Kirk Hinrich's clutch 3 at the end of regulation, homeboy should head back to his home town of Sioux City, Iowa, where the airport has the apropos code #sux.

also, this - the Bulls don't even force OT without Hinrich hitting that 3. I know a lot of Bulls fans were all "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOYEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!" right there.

acting like the Warriors got exposed last night is some hater ass hating.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    batmon said:

Pretty amazing what Kyrie Irving is doing at age 22.

Picked first overall with like less than 20 games played at Duke? Check.

Team USA? Check.

20th player ever to have a signature shoe with Nike? Check.

55 points? Check.

• yuichi said:

Team USA? Check.

55 points? Check.

has never had more than 33 wins.

has never made the playoffs.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    yuichi said:

Team USA? Check.

55 points? Check.

has never had more than 33 wins.

has never made the playoffs.

Yep, at some point, winning should matter. Again, young players must learn how to win at the NBA level. The intellectual part of the game is even more important than the physical part when it comes to winning the chip.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    He destroyed the the Blazers last night.

LaserWolf said:

He did. Not many dudes can go out and get 55 cuz the star player is out.

Dude is nice.

yuichi said:
    LaserWolf said:

Dude is nice.

U jump on whomevers hot at the moment.
    Wheres the Harden dick riding u did for 2 seasons?

Ran outta lotion?

batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    LaserWolf said:

Dude is nice.

U jump on whomevers hot at the moment.
    Wheres the Harden dick riding u did for 2 seasons?

Ran outta lotion?

Naw I'm just here so I can spot the weaknesses of good teams so that they don't exploited in the playoffs.

If it was my choice, Damien Lillard should have been an All-star instead of Chris Paul.

Good to see, D. Cousins getting a spot as well. Well-deserved.

I was just browsing the web, looking at stats and noticed that Lebron's been in the league 11 years now and he's 30 years old. His career FG% is close to 50%, which is crazy efficient for a guard/forward. I say he has like 5 or 6 more good years left, which is not much. If he gets 2 more titles, I'd say that's overachieving. If he gets 5 titles total, that's incredible.

KD or Rose or any one of these other superstars might be lucky if they get one or two in their career.

Definitely gonna be interesting to watch who cements their legacy in the next few years....

We all know Kobe is done.

• yuichi said:
    I was just browsing the web, looking at stats and noticed that Lebron's been in the league 11 years now and he's 30 years old. His career FG% is close to 50%, which is crazy efficient for a guard/forward. I say he has like 5 or 6 more good years left, which is not much. If he gets 2 more titles, I'd say that's overachieving. If he gets 5 titles total, that's incredible.

KD or Rose or any one of these other superstars might be lucky if they get one or two in their career.

Definitely gonna be interesting to watch who cements their legacy in the next few years....

dominique wilkins never made it to an eastern conference final.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    yuichi said:

Yep, scoring isn't everything. Most greats had more dimension to their games. Regarding Kyrie Irving, he's a quite a talent that COULD be great if he is taught how to win. Simply put, he needs to focus on the intangibles such as decision-making, reading game situations, etc. Then again, this critique is applicable to a fair portion of today's 'so-called' stars (e.g., Carmelo Anthony, Damien Lillard, John Wall, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Steph Curry, LaMarcus Aldridge, Blake Griffin, etc.). Carmelo's old ass shouldn't be in my list as he should've learned how to play winning basketball already.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big_Stacks said:
    vintageinfants said:
    yuichi said:

Yep, scoring isn't everything. Most greats had more dimension to their games. Regarding Kyrie Irving, he's a quite a talent that COULD be great if he is taught how to win. Simply put, he needs to focus on the intangibles such as decision-making, reading game situations, etc. Then again, this critique is applicable to a fair portion of today's 'so-called' stars (e.g., Carmelo Anthony, Damien Lillard, John Wall, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Steph Curry, LaMarcus Aldridge, Blake Griffin, etc.). Carmelo's old ass shouldn't be in my list as he should've learned how to play winning basketball already.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

The game is different. Definitely more guard-oriented than in the past. (I'm not saying that's good or bad). I mean, as good as Zack Randolph and Marc Gasol are, most people wouldn't be able to name you five other PFs and Centers that are "great". Do not give me Lamarcus Aldrige either.

Anyway, getting back to my point. Kobe > Lebron > who's next? (Wiggins?)

Wishfully thinking Durant would wanna come to Los Angeles...THAT move would instantaneously get him more coverage.

yuichi said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    vintageinfants said:
    yuichi said:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

The game is different. Definitely more guard-oriented than in the past. (I'm not saying that's good or bad). I mean, as good as Zack Randolph and Marc Gasol are, most people wouldn't be able to name you five other PFs and Centers that are "great". Do not give me Lamarcus Aldrige either.

Anyway, getting back to my point. Kobe > Lebron > who's next? (Wiggins?)

Wishfully thinking Durant would wanna come to Los Angeles...THAT move would instantaneously get him more coverage.

Hey Yuichi,

I don't have any issue with guard-oriented play as they have always been integral to the game. The point is there is a need for more SMART guard play (or SMART play in general, not just guards), decision-making ability to complement the immense physical talent in the league right now. Mastering the intellectual side of the game is the key ingredient for winning, especially titles. A team full of mere 'athletes' have never won a title. Do you remember the late-90s, early 2000s Portland Trailblazers? They were stacked with 10 first round draft picks (e.g., Damon Stoudemire, Rasheed Wallace, Bonzi Wells, Stacey Augmon, Zach Randolph, Derek Anderson, etc.) and didn't win a cotdamn thang. They didn't play the game the right way, wouldn't play roles, etc., etc. Talent alone will never get it done, disposition matters greatly in sports (and life).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey Yuichi,

I don't have any issue with guard-oriented play as they have always been integral to the game. The point is there is a need for more SMART guard play (or SMART play in general, not just guards), decision-making ability to complement the immense physical talent in the league right now. Mastering the intellectual side of the game is the key ingredient for winning, especially titles. A team full of mere 'athletes' have never won a title. Do you remember the late-90s, early 2000s Portland Trailblazers? They were stacked with 10 first round draft picks (e.g., Damon Stoudemire, Rasheed Wallace, Bonzi Wells, Stacey Augmon, Zach Randolph, Derek Anderson, etc.) and didn't win a cotdamn thang. They didn't play the game the right way, wouldn't play roles, etc., etc. Talent alone will never get it done, disposition matters greatly in sports (and life).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

If I'm correct, those Blazers took the 3-peat dynasty Lakers to Game 7.

I don't argue the intelligence and overall team play and fundamentals that's required to win a title. I've always preached this over the course of the past 10 years on here.

b/w

Blame Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, and the tens of millions of dollars players earn now in the NBA. One and done for decent talent in college is the norm, not the exception now. Times have changed. I just appreciate what is out there, or I just turn off the tube, that easy.

yuichi said:

Hey Yuichi,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

If I'm correct, those Blazers took the 3-peat dynasty Lakers to Game 7.

I don't argue the intelligence and overall team play and fundamentals that's required to win a title. I've always preached this over the course of the past 10 years on here.

b/w

Blame Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, and the tens of millions of dollars players earn now in the NBA. One and done for decent talent in college is the norm, not the exception now. Times have changed. I just appreciate what is out there, or I just turn off the tube, that easy.

Wrong Trailblazer team, Yuichi. I'm talking about the era past Drexler, Kersey, Robinson, etc. The players I listed in my previous post never made the finals in Portland. If you like the hero ball played today, more power to you. I'm just giving commentary, not trying to sway your view. I just prefer to see fundamental, quality play from professional basketball players.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I just prefer to see fundamental, quality play from professional basketball players.

Believe it or not, I too know good basketball when I see it.

Also see: "Hip-hop is dead". I didn't like it when the South took over. Etc.

b/w

Steph. Beast mode. Lynching it. "If you don't like that, you don't like NBA basketball".
    I am super critical of my home team. The other shit is entertainment...

b/w

Never really seen you commenting heavy like 7 or 8 year ago, Stacks. Just didn't have the time? Hating is way easy. Trust me, I've been there with these GS Warriors and Clippers and....

Also Stacks, do you root for any team? Milwaukee? They aiite right now. Brooklyn?

Hey Yuichi,

Actually, I like the Grizzlies, that's the style of play I prefer. Regarding commenting on basketball, that's a laughable comment. I've been watching basketball for nearly 40 years. Did you play organized basketball? I was as 3-year starting high school varsity point guard, so yes, I'm critical of offensive execution given that fact. The level of NBA play has devolved over the years as more and more guys now treat college ball like the 5th year of high school. So, I wasn't exactly compelled to speak on NBA play on the regular. I used to, but as always, things have changed.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• an excellent article from yesterday about "hero ball"

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/hero-ball-is-awful-except-when-it-works-because-then-its-the-best/

In this age of enlightenment, “hero ball” has become an epithet. And no wonder. Numerous studies have found that iso offense is, because of its predictability, not as efficient as actions that involve motion — both of ball and players. Take away the element of surprise and eschew misdirection, and even the lamest of NBA defenses will look pretty good when given the time to set up.

But there’s a flip side to the demonization of hero ball, which is that not an insignificant number of the greatest moments in NBA history are hero shots. In other words: Hero ball is awful, except when it works, because then it’s the best.

In the Finals that I quickly remember.....

Philly w/ Moses & Julius played team ball.
    Celtics dont need explaining.

Jordan won 6....3 of those Paxton has the game winners.
    And against Phoneix Horace Grant had the block on Kevin Johnson to seal the deal.
    The Bulls played the Triangle.

Miami had Mike Miller go bananas in Game 5 against OKC.
    LeBron James hits the mid range deal sealer in 2013 Game 7 against the Spurs up 88-90.
    LeBron got his rings after playing Hero Ball in Cleveland and joined two stars in Miami.

Spurs dont need explanation. I dont think The Rockets do either.

Hero Ball has yet to show me a Championship.

Big_Stacks said:
    Hey Yuichi,

Actually, I like the Grizzlies, that's the style of play I prefer. Regarding commenting on basketball, that's a laughable comment. I've been watching basketball for nearly 40 years. Did you play organized basketball? I was as 3-year starting high school varsity point guard, so yes, I'm critical of offensive execution given that fact. The level of NBA play has devolved over the years as more and more guys now treat college ball like the 5th year of high school. So, I wasn't exactly compelled to speak on NBA play on the regular. I used to, but as always, things have changed.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I would have given you much more credit if you were down with the Bucks but whatever.

You can be an overly-critical stats douche like Bill Simmons, or you can commend whatever is out on the court while providing level-headed analysis like Hubie Brown. The cream rises to the top in any era, and good basketball always wins, so I disagree with your assessment of "devolved". That is akin to saying, "they don't make hip-hop like they did in '88".

The '04 Pistons are one of my favorite teams of all time, and Dwyane Wade had one of the most incredible individual performances (Jordan level) in Finals history. The Spurs won last year with team ball. And there's probably never been a time in history where two of the top five, three point shooters were on the same team.

The few hundred players in the league right now are hyper-athletic and not everyone's cup of tea. But comments like "the lack of intelligence" is just some ignorant shit. I'm obviously not qualified to speak on it, but I can imagine play-making and sound decision-making becomes difficult when you are moving at 80mph, rather than 50. The best obviously are able to switch it up. And if you can notice the differences, then you can probably appreciate what is out there.

Basketball probably was more "pure" two decades ago in general, but oh well.

Another point that needs to be emphasized is, Who do most players grow up idolizing? Probably not Bill Russell or Bruce Bowen or Ben Wallace. They grew up watching watching spectacular moves by guards with signature sneakers. And the millions more that's at stake now really makes skipping the second year of college a no-brainer. In other words, do not hate the player, hate the game.