So if we rolled the board back 10 years... where is everyone?

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    bassie said:
    Controller_7 said:
    I believe Bassie left as a result of the Ferguson thread.

Israel thread had me out the door, the Ferguson thread was it hitting me on my way out. There's unfortunately not enough music threads or an overall positive environment to balance out the other stuff. This is about my tolerance levels, not the Board.

And oh yea, I'm still buying records and enjoying the new raps coming out all the time.

On a separate note, I'm sure a recommendation isn't necessary, but Viv Albertine's memoir is astonishing.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I'm still in "the game". As a matter of fact just this week I just spent K's on Damon "Song of a Gypsy" gatefold OG.

I still do and always will represent the buy side.

However, the majority the moves being made these days are of the real world terroir.

:bizzo:

real headz know the deal(tm)

Joined October 2003. Technically 2001, but the board crashed and I lost my time stamp.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    nzshadow said:

I just don't really have that much to contribute to a record related board anymore - I live in a small town that has no damn records and yeah, I am old too.

Fixed

b/w

You're never too old for pedantry :-P

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I miss Alan'* presence on the board.
    Wish there was a Mop vol 2 to read.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    deezlee said:
    As a long time lurker, I figure there are a lot of unregistered readers around here too.

This is actually hilariously appropriate.

Lurkers please report to the Baby Funk thraed.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Grafwritah said:
    LoopDreams said:
    Grafwritah said:
    For those in the know, how are record prices holding up? It seems like a lot of people are backing off of buying.

Dude: http://collectorsfrenzy.com

specially if you're a Nuck and your dollar's tankin

:balla:

I meant more of your day to day collectro records. What is a RAMP going for these days, for instance.

People are still payin more then I ever paid for it...

http://collectorsfrenzy.com/search?q=ramp&search;-button=

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    RAJ said:
    I noticed a lot of the dumb nonsensical banter threads are gone because technology has improved. A ko is on Facebook now and is into mopeds and shit. But yeah... if you leave the neighborhood for 10 years and come back expecting it to be the same... not going to happen.

How about formdiplo.... That weird guy who posted cryptic Philly talk all over souls strut and used to hound record shows. Anybody know where he is today?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    parallax said:
    Danno3000 said:
    For years I've been working on another compilation, but the game, as they say, has changed. Everyone and their nephew has a compilation. My passion for curating may have waned enough that I can't be bothered to add another drop to an ocean of releases.

I shit you not, I was checking waxing deep last night and listened to the episode where you were on higher ground talking about si para usted. Last night dude. It's a bit crazy hearing the passion in your voice just last night, juxtaposed with your "I'm over it" text as above.

That's a really nice thing to read. Thanks. Some radio may still be in my future...

Dan

• stratasphere said:
    Controller_7 said:
    Did FTW ever mean fuck the what on here?

In my mind it did. I didn't even know for the win and saw some dude with a FTW tattoo and was like "woah, that dude has a fuck the what tattoo!"

For The Win, don't care for acronyms myself and refrain from using them as much as possible.

It always meant Fuck the World before the internet made it something else.
    It's a common tattoo to get on your head (second behind only swastikas) for mentally unstable Mongrel Mob gang members over here.

• Well, may this be the beginning of Fuck the What?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Well, may this be the beginning of Fuck the What?

I will adopt this.

And this.

Dig deep.

• I've continued to check in over the years, but the last time I did Sheep was kicking off with a host of names I'd never seen before and I'd not checked in since then until I got the email today.

Never posted a great deal - I don't have the cash to collect old and new records so my earliest digging finds are more of the obscure 90s fashion - which always tended to exclude me from a fair amount of conversation. Last time I knew what happened in the NFL, Ricky Watters left the 49ers to join Philly. Similarly, the last time I knew anything much about events in the NBA T Mac had just left Orlando.

• First multi-page post I've read in a long time...and it only took me one misfire before remembering my password. Still passionate about music, but don't buy much vinyl anymore. Still buy a few things here and there. Never was a big contributor here, but there was a time when you could find jewels in the rough...much like digging...maybe I don't have the patience anymore or there is just too much rough, but other things have my attention now.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hello!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I sold all of my records a few years back and moved from the commune to Sunnyvale. Life is just as chill. In a BMR apartment with a pool/spa, gym, tall trees, and criminally low rent. Been driving for Uber around Palo Alto, chauffeuring venture capitalists and Stanford startup CEOs around the Valley. Tech dudes are always telling me to buy BitCoin; or talking way too loosely about sensitive business deals, as if I wouldn't sell the info. This has to be the autism spectrum capital of the world. It's kind of a freak show of weird harmless, sexless people with money and nice stuff and spaces that I enjoy using. Dudes on the sales side of tech are pretty normal, socially. There's a dearth of Black people though, which is kind of boring. Love the weather, though. Think I'll stay; retire to the commune when I'm old and grey.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    I sold all of my records a few years back and moved from the commune to Sunnyvale. Life is just as chill. In a BMR apartment with a pool/spa, gym, tall trees, and criminally low rent. Been driving for Uber around Palo Alto, chauffeuring venture capitalists and Stanford startup CEOs around the Valley

Sounds depressing! That can't pay well...can it?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    parallax said:
    Reynaldo said:
    I sold all of my records a few years back and moved from the commune to Sunnyvale. Life is just as chill. In a BMR apartment with a pool/spa, gym, tall trees, and criminally low rent. Been driving for Uber around Palo Alto, chauffeuring venture capitalists and Stanford startup CEOs around the Valley

I clear $1000 a week, and write off the mileage/fuel. It's super easy/low stress. I just drive and talk to people all day. I meet all of these career/startup people that make good money but that are super stressed with no work/life balance, and crushing it like Mark Yen starts to look much less appealing. Give me an easy blue collar 9-5, a roof over my head, and a GF with a high sex drive and I'm good.

• Reynaldo said:
    parallax said:
    Reynaldo said:

I clear $1000 a week, and write off the mileage/fuel. It's super easy/low stress. I just drive and talk to people all day. I meet all of these career/startup people that make good money but that are super stressed with no work/life balance, and crushing it like Mark Yen starts to look much less appealing. Give me an easy blue collar 9-5, a roof over my head, and a GF with a high sex drive and I'm good.

That's interesting, Reynaldo.

I was going to say $1000 a week doesn't sound bad at all, and in my area that would do pretty well for a single guy. However, I can't imagine that gets you nearly as far in the Bay. I admire what you're doing, though. Sometimes I wish I had that kind of flexibility to just do whatever.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    nzshadow said:
    I'm here. An irregular visitor in all senses.

I left FB a long time ago - Instagram can be fun (nzshadow there too) but shit, I'm 41 years old man, out doin Papa stuff not all hunched over my PC hitting f5 on a Harvey thraed like BITD.

That said, just the other day Strutter Age sent me the most amazing package of 45s and CD mixes via an Instagram post.

I just dont really have that much to contribute to a record related board anymore - I live in a small town that has no damn records and yeah, I is old too.

One of my favorite InstaGram feeds, absolutely.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Ten years ago, I was in culinary school and on my way to New Orleans. I wouldn't call these real world moves, but this transition did cause me to begin to lose touch with the Strut. I'll always come back to this place, just not every day these days.

I heard there was a redesign, so I wanted to check it out, and then I saw this thread. I still browse through record shops from time to time, and I will buy occasionally. Mostly, I've taken to collecting picture sleeve 45s of songs from the 70s, 80s and 90s that I still like. These usually cost me a buck, and it's something to do without spending too much money.

I'm about to move and I'm thinking about downsizing my collection. I'm not sure if I could ever get rid of everything though. It's still nice to drop a needle on a record every now and then.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Nice to see some familiar people back here. When I saw Mikefreedomrock, my eyes popped out of my head!

• heyho
    ten years ago i just got back home to philly after two years in a van (where i first fell into soulstrut as philahobo). ten years later...i still look for records, i still like records, i still like breaks, and i still make some money selling from time to time. fun hobby. found my lifepartnerwoman who loves her some blued eyed soul, steely dan, 80s rnb and digging for records. so i dont think i'll be selling the collection any time soon.

dont check the strut too much anymore. waxidermy is a lot more religious about recent finds threads and setsales, which satisfy my most immediate record pron needs. i still consider myself soulstrut and not waxi though

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    i still consider myself soulstrut and not waxi though

tripledouble . . . Original G

Whats :the_mack: up to now?

In the private mind garden he owns a bunch of taco bells.

• DOR is that Lord Jamar? creepy thing is i just got my left hand out a cast (meat cleaver cutting thumb tendon related)

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Ten years ago I was selling the records I'm now trying to buy back for twice as much

tripledouble said:
    DOR is that Lord Jamar?

Yeah. I never noticed the first couple of times it was him.

• 10 years ago I was getting ready to open my record shop, and by some miracle of St. Jameson I'm still here. Soul Strut played a huge part in getting the word out.

Buying records as a matter of my employment is one thing but I still take home new discoveries and get geeked about them and make mixes and play them for my wife who doesn't usually gaf so I get faded and do the shmoney dance to them. I don't see a problem

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    The 'Beat Off' sparked my interest in 'The Sturt' again awhile back (3 x winner batches) but I haven't posted since then.

It got super slow for awhile there but it seems to be gaining momentum.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    10 years a go was 2004 and my daughter was born. She screamed all night for 6 months and we lost our minds many a time. My sleep deprived meltdowns were even documented on this site as this place used to be an unruly playground. I was still active buying and selling records and released a modern soul Mix CD entitled Ca$h Play which featured drops from cats active on the site back then.