So if we rolled the board back 10 years... where is everyone?

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    deezlee said:
    As a long time lurker, I figure there are a lot of unregistered readers around here too.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    bassie said:
    Hey - Nice to hear from you and see you posting. I never did get the title of your book.

I left because Soul Strut is not a place for me anymore. I put four people on ignore within a week after years of not feeling like I ever needed to and it occurred to me that was the door showing itself. It was bound to happen, just took me a lot longer than other folks. I come by to pick up PMs now and then and check a thread or two.

I recently left FB, too - for different reasons - though I had very few Soul Strut friends on there. I'm still emailing with the general population though ha ha

Hope all is well with everyone!

PS. Sorry I'm missing the Montreal get-together but I need to be home this weekend. Have some drinks and epic dance moves for me.

Hey Bassie,

Personally, I am saddened to hear that the 'frat boys' have offended and pushed away one of our most prized members. You have made invaluable contributions to making this place what it is. I hope that those who read your words will think a little deeper about what they type in discourse with fellow Strut members. This is a community and we should display common courtesy in our exchanges with one another. I thank you for dropping in and, as usual, dropping some knowledge on us.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Thank You for the kind words.

I don't want to give the impression anyone said anything untoward, etc. No one's attitude/behaviour (that hasn't already existed for years) chased me away.
    The overall tone of the place has changed and given there are fewer and fewer music threads, I have less and less in common with most people left here.
    Though common courtesy is always a good thing to exercise

Good Night.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    bassie said:
    Hey - Nice to hear from you and see you posting. I never did get the title of your book.

I left because Soul Strut is not a place for me anymore. I put four people on ignore within a week after years of not feeling like I ever needed to and it occurred to me that was the door showing itself. It was bound to happen, just took me a lot longer than other folks. I come by to pick up PMs now and then and check a thread or two.

I recently left FB, too - for different reasons - though I had very few Soul Strut friends on there. I'm still emailing with the general population though ha ha.

Top secret! Not really.

I'm sorry to hear that. But considering I haven't posted consistently on here since something like 2007 I have no room to talk.

You are a nice person. I hope you find somewhere to talk music without lots of hipster guy junk talk.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Still here. Still skim through the Strut every day. Not buying records that much anymore although I occasionally have a splurge. I still get a thrill seeing a new record store. Having a kid done took all my record money! Never been on Facebook. Am crazy about Twitter however although that's all Iraq stuff.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    i was occasionally lurking in 04. stayed focused on the cocaineblunts board until it first sputtered, and then crashed and burned/elegantly bowed out. (r.i.p. either way.)

so, i'm happy that ss won't die. i love the music talk and sharing of the digi-lynx.

i wish we could have more civil discussions about social and political issues, because i enjoy that too. i get that with my closest friends and family, but it's generally a total shitshow of insults and debasement of humanity on here, right? (too much anonymity.) EDIT:peace&love;&peace;&love;&peace;&love;

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    mostly bummer poast with little hope nugz brah

motown67 said:
    Still here. Still skim through the Strut every day. Not buying records that much anymore although I occasionally have a splurge. I still get a thrill seeing a new record store. Having a kid done took all my record money! Never been on Facebook. Am crazy about Twitter however although that's all Iraq stuff.

I haven't bought a record in 4-ev-er. My wheels of steel are currently immobile, in fact.

For those in the know, how are record prices holding up? It seems like a lot of people are backing off of buying.

• Grafwritah said:
    What is a vintage infant, anyway?

first of all, how dare you.

b. mind ya bidness.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    mostly bummer poast with little hope nugz brah

i agree. there's always the youth. (what's a baby lynx called?)

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Grafwritah said:
    For those in the know, how are record prices holding up? It seems like a lot of people are backing off of buying.

Dude: http://collectorsfrenzy.com

specially if you're a Nuck and your dollar's tankin

:balla:

• Howdy....
    This post got me out of "lurk" mode. Was on back in 2004 for a few years as "1980Beats."
    What a great time to be alive and part of this board. Some of my personal favorite memories:

Pap Day
    Anything involving HCrink
    Guzzo on Blind Date
    Alien Iverson posts
    The discovery of Mingering Mike
    My lame/childish internet beef with Jumex (do people even internet beef anymore?)
    Reynaldo
    All the inside jokes that went on
    Ripping on those MECO LPS fetching $ on ebay
    Leo Sayer

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    CrankSinatra said:
    Howdy....
    This post got me out of "lurk" mode.

Bollocks, it was Gandalf.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    CrankSinatra said:
    Howdy....

It was the adorable bynx

• Duderonomy said:
    CrankSinatra said:
    Howdy....

Busted!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Wait. Bassie left.

well that sucks.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Good old days talk is shark jumpin steez.

With a new upgrade coming, new ideas need to jump off and not rehash Pap Day for the 10th time.

Moderation fell by the way side and now muthafuckas wanna cry what happened.

CrankSinatra said:
    Howdy....
    This post got me out of "lurk" mode. Was on back in 2004 for a few years as "1980Beats."
    What a great time to be alive and part of this board. Some of my personal favorite memories:

Guzzo on Blind Date

I love that if you google "http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/" those things turn up at sites all over the net.

"Or that dudes avatar that has homer simpsons lips as some girls p#$$y lips. Whos is that again anyway?"

"Dude that's even better than guy who's avatar was sandwhich is some girls big fat ass."

I remember those avatars.

"Post deleted by anthonypearson"

• I believe Bassie left as a result of the Ferguson thread.

What do you all think is the reason for the lack of inside jokes these days? Just different times? Lack of participation/slowness? It used to be a constant struggle to figure out what people were talking about. Also, the demise of the graemlins seemed to correspond with the general loss of jokes/flavor.

I am almost 99.9% mobile for soul strut and that changed the experience a bit. I still check everyday though and have for the past 7 years or so.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    batmon said:

Moderation fell by the way side and now muthafuckas wanna cry what happened.

#truth

I think the lack of moderation made people like F16C quit, Oliver Wang, etc. The trolls were running this place for a while.

fwiw, Raj, I highly recommend reinstating mods to swing the ban-hammer and keep shit civil.

Controller_7 said:

What do you all think is the reason for the lack of inside jokes these days? --->Lack of participation/slowness

Pacing and "early adopting" seemed to assist inside joke explosion.

• Did FTW ever mean fuck the what on here?

In my mind it did. I didn't even know for the win and saw some dude with a FTW tattoo and was like "woah, that dude has a fuck the what tattoo!"

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    bassie said:

I recently left FB, too - for different reasons - though I had very few Soul Strut friends on there. I'm still emailing with the general population though ha ha

Hope all is well with everyone!

PS. Sorry I'm missing the Montreal get-together but I need to be home this weekend. Have some drinks and epic dance moves for me.

Hey Bassie,

Personally, I am saddened to hear that the 'frat boys' have offended and pushed away one of our most prized members. You have made invaluable contributions to making this place what it is. I hope that those who read your words will think a little deeper about what they type in discourse with fellow Strut members. This is a community and we should display common courtesy in our exchanges with one another. I thank you for dropping in and, as usual, dropping some knowledge on us.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

+1

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    I believe Bassie left as a result of the Ferguson thread.

Israel thread had me out the door, the Ferguson thread was it hitting me on my way out. There's unfortunately not enough music threads or an overall positive environment to balance out the other stuff. This is about my tolerance levels, not the Board.

And oh yea, I'm still buying records and enjoying the new raps coming out all the time.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    bassie said:
    Controller_7 said:

Israel thread had me out the door, the Ferguson thread was it hitting me on my way out. There's unfortunately not enough music threads or an overall positive environment to balance out the other stuff. This is about my tolerance levels, not the Board.

And oh yea, I'm still buying records and enjoying the new raps coming out all the time.

fwiw, it's good seeing you post on here.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    bassie said:
    Controller_7 said:

I agree... this place is missing something without Bassie. Advice for NRR Threads (DO NOT CLICK)!

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Bassie: the Isreal thread was started by Kala. It was a five pager in under 5 hours. Again, the topic was Isreal. Any red lights flashing? Though I'm with you, I couldn't resist diving in. Talk about being disillusioned about some of the folks on the board. But WTF that's the belly of the beast I guess. As JP once said: without moderhaters the lunatics now run the asylum.

We're all (I hope though sometimes I wonder) music lovers on here. But some take that for granted and would rather troll. You never took the music for granted. For that you'll be missed.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Did FTW ever mean fuck the what on here?

In my mind it did. I didn't even know for the win and saw some dude with a FTW tattoo and was like "woah, that dude has a fuck the what tattoo!"

For The Win, don't care for acronyms myself and refrain from using them as much as possible.

I always thought it was interchangeably "Fuck the World" or "For the Win."

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I'm here. An irregular visitor in all senses.

I left FB a long time ago - Instagram can be fun (nzshadow there too) but shit, I'm 41 years old man, out doin Papa stuff not all hunched over my PC hitting f5 on a Harvey thraed like BITD.

That said, just the other day Strutter Age sent me the most amazing package of 45s and CD mixes via an Instagram post.

I just dont really have that much to contribute to a record related board anymore - I live in a small town that has no damn records and yeah, I is old too.

LoopDreams said:
    Grafwritah said:

Dude: http://collectorsfrenzy.com

specially if you're a Nuck and your dollar's tankin

:balla:

I meant more of your day to day collectro records. What is a RAMP going for these days, for instance.