What!? No Ferguson Talk on Here!!?

Comments

• So, this was an [del]interesting[/del] astoundingly biased op ed in the Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/08/19/im-a-cop-if-you-dont-want-to-get-hurt-dont-challenge-me/

DonÔÇÖt argue with me, donÔÇÖt call me names, donÔÇÖt tell me that I canÔÇÖt stop you, donÔÇÖt say IÔÇÖm a racist pig, donÔÇÖt threaten that youÔÇÖll sue me and take away my badge. DonÔÇÖt scream at me that you pay my salary, and donÔÇÖt even think of aggressively walking towards me.

fixed.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    He should try working an afternoon in retail.
    Here is how a retail worker approaches their job:
    Argue with me, call me names, tell me that I canÔÇÖt stop you, say IÔÇÖm a racist pig, threaten that youÔÇÖll sue me and take away my job. scream at me that you pay my salary, and aggressively walk towards me. I will still address you politely with a smile.

For a different police perspective try this.
    Seattle's former chief and head of police training for Washington state.
    http://www.vice.com/read/a-former-police-chief-speaks-out-against-police-brutality-818

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    So, this was an [del]interesting[/del] astoundingly biased op ed in the Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/08/19/im-a-cop-if-you-dont-want-to-get-hurt-dont-challenge-me/

DonÔÇÖt argue with me, donÔÇÖt call me names, donÔÇÖt tell me that I canÔÇÖt stop you, donÔÇÖt say IÔÇÖm a racist pig, donÔÇÖt threaten that youÔÇÖll sue me and take away my badge. DonÔÇÖt scream at me that you pay my salary, and donÔÇÖt even think of aggressively walking towards me.

fixed.

Via Twitter;

There is a big difference between being "tased, pepper-sprayed, struck with a baton..." and being "shot".

What I mean is, if you are the victim it is a big difference. To the cop who wrote that it's all the same thing.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Just keep reminding yourselves with sufficient regularity that you live in the free-est country on the planet and you'll be fine.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:
    volumen said:
    Still not sure why it's accepted that cops kill people at all. They just shot a guy with a knife yesterday. Really, they can't just shoot someone in the leg? I'm pretty sure that would stop most people enough to get them under control.

Sorry, but this is just stupid. The guy was 3-4 feet away from the cops and was apparently out of his mind. This "shoot him in the leg" shit is pure TV fantasy. If the cops are telling the truth - and it seems they are - they were justified here. And I'm about as anti-cop violence as you can be.

You think you are anti-cop violence and you take the cops word for it? Try reading the story and watching the video instead of just popping off. The cops roll up on a guy who has been around multiple people for a while and not hurt anyone. The guy immediately start saying shoot me. Suicide by cop is a know thing and cops are trained not to fall for it. But not these pigs, they unload 9 shots into a guy with civilians in the background. All with in a few second of being on the scene. Oh, and where is the knife? These cops had no clue and just killed a person on the street like the pig in Ferguson did. They also put civilians in danger firing that many shot in a neighborhood with people standing around. Get a clue. This guy wanted the cops to kill him and didn't even have to try that hard. And seriously, 9 shots? Further evidence that they just mow people down when they feel like it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/20/kajieme-powell-shooting_n_5696546.html

So, this was an [del]interesting[/del] astoundingly biased op ed in the Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/08/19/im-a-cop-if-you-dont-want-to-get-hurt-dont-challenge-me/

fixed.

Via Twitter;

LOL and get ready to be accused of hiding something because you don't want them to look in your car or search you. They will consider that suspicious activity and the courts will back them up.

This cop needs to take his own advice. Meanwhile we actually get officer Fuck You and guns in our face just for protesting. They can approach us aggressively and call us names and threaten to shoot us. Interesting logic.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Frank said:
    Just keep reminding yourselves with sufficient regularity that you live in the free-est country on the planet and you'll be fine.

• volumen said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    volumen said:
    Still not sure why it's accepted that cops kill people at all. They just shot a guy with a knife yesterday. Really, they can't just shoot someone in the leg? I'm pretty sure that would stop most people enough to get them under control.

Sorry, but this is just stupid. The guy was 3-4 feet away from the cops and was apparently out of his mind. This "shoot him in the leg" shit is pure TV fantasy. If the cops are telling the truth - and it seems they are - they were justified here. And I'm about as anti-cop violence as you can be.

You think you are anti-cop violence and you take the cops word for it? Try reading the story and watching the video instead of just popping off. The cops roll up on a guy who has been around multiple people for a while and not hurt anyone. The guy immediately start saying shoot me. Suicide by cop is a know thing and cops are trained not to fall for it. But not these pigs, they unload 9 shots into a guy with civilians in the background. All with in a few second of being on the scene. Oh, and where is the knife? These cops had no clue and just killed a person on the street like the pig in Ferguson did. They also put civilians in danger firing that many shot in a neighborhood with people standing around. Get a clue. This guy wanted the cops to kill him and didn't even have to try that hard. And seriously, 9 shots? Further evidence that they just mow people down when they feel like it.

I completely apologize and retract my earlier post. A cellphone video has been released and the cops were lying through their pig teeth. They simply blew this guy away and lied about every detail.

Thanks for the kick in the ass. I had it coming.

day said:
    Frank said:

A lieutenant on the force for 20 years no less. At least they suspended him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/20/ray-albers-ferguson-protestors_n_5696715.html

• volumen said:
    day said:
    Frank said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/20/ray-albers-ferguson-protestors_n_5696715.html

No doubt "with pay."

LazarusOblong said:
    volumen said:
    day said:
    Frank said:

No doubt "with pay."

Funny enough without. I was surprised as that is rare but I think the police superiors are finally realizing how bad they look. It still won't supprise me if he takes a class and comes back.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:
    volumen said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    volumen said:

I completely apologize and retract my earlier post. A cellphone video has been released and the cops were lying through their pig teeth. They simply blew this guy away and lied about every detail.

Well played sir

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    skel said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    volumen said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    volumen said:

Well played sir

Indeed

b/w

Dude's been civil lately, and it's refreshing.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    day said:
    Frank said:

Crazy... besides the obvious: He's moving towards and into the crowd on some Rambo mission. How can a cop allow himself to be separated from his unit and expose himself to potential attacks from all directions? And why even give these guys assault rifles? Riot gear, clubs and tear gas I can understand but assault rifles? At the same time I can't manage to muster any sympathies for these iphone "reporter" types. The whole purpose of these nighttime demonstrations or more apt confrontations escapes me. What good could possibly come out of this?

Frank said:
    The whole purpose of these nighttime demonstrations or more apt confrontations escapes me. What good could possibly come out of this?

The hope is, if there is enough of a public outcry, and enough national coverage, Michael Brown's murderer will be brought to justice. AND police procedures will change.

It's doubtful that it will work, but with out it we know that he will get off on some, 'I feared for my life' bs, and no changes in police procedures will happen.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Frank said:
    The whole purpose of these nighttime demonstrations or more apt confrontations escapes me. What good could possibly come out of this?

The hope is, if there is enough of a public outcry, and enough national coverage, Michael Brown's murderer will be brought to justice. AND police procedures will change.

It's doubtful that it will work, but with out it we know that he will get off on some, 'I feared for my life' bs, and no changes in police procedures will happen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for public outcry. But I believe that chaotic, nighttime cat and mouse games with the cops are not helping the cause. That being said it's good to have this video as a prime example for totally unprofessional, hostile and dangerous police conduct.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The "cat and mouse games" are showing the world exactly how foul the police are by design.

Only problem is that they're confined to Ferguson. Similar demonstrations should be taking place in every city in America right now, if not 5-10-20 years ago.

White America wants so badly for the NFL season to start so they can go back to not being bothered with this reality.

So the people (who aren't agent provocateurs) in Ferguson who are keeping the pressure on should be applauded and not belittled as unproductive.

Thank you.

• Just got some interesting perspective on perceived levels of threat during a Tenant/Landlord Law Class the other day. In order to hit someone with a 24 hour Termination of Tenancy one of the threshold events is, imminent threat. In my county someone is is threatening you verbally (with harm or death) but not making any move towards you will not trigger this threshold. The judges see the most horrific shit day in and day out and what I consider a grave and unsettling threat barely moves the needle for these guys. However, in a different county (less populous) I could get the tenant out because their threshold is set way lower.

I am not condoning any of the heinous behavior on full display by the Furgeson police (not to mention the utter failure of its leadership and the poor training of its officers) but that is the lens that will be distorting how the courts will handle any cases that come before it (if any do) around the subject of police verbally assaulting protesters.

This of course completely does not address the good ol' boy network that protects the police and the interests of of the DA's office and Courts have in preserving their relationships with the police.

On the subject of video, I think all those "citizen journalist" are an amazing thing. Having the unblinking eye of technology directed on the police is forcing the complacent folks in this country to face the fact that our police are way out of control. Racism, the para-militarization of the police, poor training, lack of public oversight, most importantly "The Drug War (tm)" have warped policing in this country.

Don't even get me started on the prison-industrial complex that has grown like a cancer in this environment.

• volumen said:
    day said:
    Frank said:

the smart ass recording this can eat a dick too.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    volumen said:
    day said:
    Frank said:

Care to elaborate? What in particular makes you believe this man can eat a dick? Other than the use of "bro".

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    BeatChemist said:
    What in particular makes you believe this man can eat a dick?

To be fair, just about anyone can eat a dick. But should he? And can he do it with style and flair? If not, what's the point?

^FTW

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    And can he do it with style and flair? If not, what's the point?
    This very nearly made me do a spit-take.

• BeatChemist said:
    BallzDeep said:
    volumen said:
    day said:
    Frank said:

Care to elaborate? What in particular makes you believe this man can eat a dick? Other than the use of "bro".

say what

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    BeatChemist said:
    What in particular makes you believe this man can eat a dick?

To be fair, just about anyone can eat a dick. But should he? And can he do it with style and flair? If not, what's the point?

Sometimes enthusiasm can make up for lack of style and flair.

Now where's that grapefruit/dildo video when you need it?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Fred_Garvin said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Well, you definitely lose style points for that.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Fred_Garvin said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Well, you definitely lose style points for that.