World Cup sh*t tawk

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Okem said:
    Back in it. Back in it!

He made that run twice - first time nobody saw him. Great goal!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Worth pennos.

Duderonomy said:
    Okem said:
    Back in it. Back in it!

He made that run twice - first time nobody saw him. Great goal!

I saw him do the first one. Fresh legs no doubt.

J i m s t e r said:
    Worth pennos.

This is amazing.

Momentum has shifted...

and yeah Moke, it's Danny Murphy's voice.

WHAT A GAME.

Great game.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    [removed]void(0);

Great game. Wanted the US to come back and take it to penalties, they deserved it with that display.

[removed]void(0);

Great game. Wanted the US to come back and take it to penalties, they deserved it with that display.

Definitely. They had good chances too! Ah well, another brilliant game in what has been the best world cup I've ever watched.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Farewell Merimen. Hope your countrymen appreciate what a great performance their team just put in.

What a World Cup it's been so far.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I hope some grown men cried up in yanksville! Everyone knows losing is what makes you love football.

A friend from NYC was down here for the Germany v Algeria game and was flying out to Fortaleza to catch Brasil v Colombia on friday (I'm not the least bit jealous, no). Sucks for him that his flight was today at exactly the same time as this game, he's about to hear some unpleasant news in one of his layovers. Then in the next layover he'll discover how crazy the game was.

what the fuck will I do for the next two days? Work?

also, if the Germany v France match doesn't have at least 7 goals, I will be disappointed.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Okem said:

What a World Cup it's been so far.

It's been by far my fav that I can remember. Hope it keeps up this level of play.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    ppadilha said:

I've always been a bit of a Howard fan. All the gif is missing is random swear words.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    felt totally frustrated during regulation. Actually turned off the TV at 2-0 until I got a text from my international connect ditto like "oh shit!"

I'll be watching the rest of the cup, not sure how many more of my countrymen will, but trust that this run had a big effect. I think a lot of us Merimen can better appreciate the #levels to this shit today.

• US of A has a legitimate gripe about only 1 minute of injury time after like 5 warnings to belgium for stalling.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    US of A has a legitimate gripe about only 1 minute of injury time after like 5 warnings to belgium for stalling.

fuck yeah.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    I hope some grown men cried up in yanksville!

No, unfortunately nutless dickheads here are congratulating themselves for almost.

It's actually an epidemic that strectches far beyond football.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Love it. All of it.

This loss puts me in the precarious position of rooting for a Belgium loss despite hoping that the Argentinos lose so Brazil don't have to be troubled by the absolute dipshits that are the Argentino fans (ppadilha, please verify).

Also, I love Colombia.

ROMELU FUCKAKU.

• ROD1ROD1 26 Posts
    Well the yanks losing is kinda the coach's fault. Altidore getting hurt really left USA weak up front. The lack of goal scoring can prove it. Not to say Donovan would of made that big of a difference but does have experience..

Brasil over Colombia 2-0.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    MusicaDelAlma said:
    Love it. All of it.

despite hoping that the Argentinos lose so Brazil don't have to be troubled by the absolute dipshits that are the Argentino fans (ppadilha, please verify).

On that note, let me introduce the Strut to new Argentino Futbol Anthem....

For those that don't understand Espanish - especially Argie slang - the gist of it is saying:

"Brasil how does it feel to have your daddy in your home (eg you''re getting sonned), and no matter how much time passes we won't forget how Maradona and Caniggia kicked your ass and you're still crying about losing to Argentina in Italy. We swear that you're going to see Messi holding this world cup, oh yeah, and by the way, Maradona is better than Pele"

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I'll be watching the rest of the cup, not sure how many more of my countrymen will, but trust that this run had a big effect. I think a lot of us Merimen can better appreciate the #levels to this shit today.

Heart, fitness, desire and organisation got USMNT thus far.
    Clint won't be there for the next one.
    To sustain meriman interest, they really need to unearth a couple of game changing players over the next 2 or 3 years.
    But it was a blast to see the number of US fans in Brasil, the biggest non-Brasilian contingent by far.
    And the ex-pat turn out here in bars and pubs was awesome; my office dudes even sacrificed basketball practice to join in.
    Radical.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Watched yesterday's game from a bar, and the scene in that bar was rivaled only by watching the 2004 Red Sox-Yankees series in Boston. It was hot, loud, incredibly packed... Damn, what a scene.

Great run, need to build on it. Scary that Howard had to make that many saves, but damn.

I love Klinsman- to make the next step, we need an internationally experienced star who can instill international standards.

Great times, haven't gotten that into a World Cup since 2002.

ppadilha said:

Tim Howard set a new World Cup record by making 15 saves against Belgium on Tuesday night, but told reporters that it felt like a hollow achievement after his USA team were eliminated anyway by Belgium.
    This has been an impressive tournament for Howard, who despite failing to keep any clean sheets may have contributed more to the USAÔÇÖs cause than any other individual player. But he was keen to downplay his own contribution:
    ÔÇ£You just try and do all the things that have gotten me here, and gotten us here, and we hope that it all comes together,ÔÇØ he said. ÔÇ£ThatÔÇÖs what I signed up to do, stick my face in front of balls.ÔÇØ

But what about the football, Tim?

MusicaDelAlma said:
    Love it. All of it.

This loss puts me in the precarious position of rooting for a Belgium loss despite hoping that the Argentinos lose so Brazil don't have to be troubled by the absolute dipshits that are the Argentino fans (ppadilha, please verify).

I, for one, welcome our new argentinian overlords.

Their roving horde moved on from Porto Alegre to São Paulo and must be on their way to Brasilia now for the quarter-final. One of my favorite things about this world cup has been the support our fellow neighbors have brought, and it's been great to see some real passionate fans in the stadiums, even if they're not brazilian. From what I've heard the argentinos haven't been dipshits, at least to the extent you can expect one not to be.

b/w

I wonder if now the US soccer press will look back at that 2002 run and give it the kind of credit it deserves. I remember sports writers and USMNT suits back then talking like it was just a natural progression, saying things like "we made it to the round of 16 last time, quarter-finals this time, so we expect to be in the semi-finals next time." That Sunil Gulati dude could use a little more perspective. Of course this was the same time they wheeled out Freddy Adu like he was the next Pel├® and everyone bought into it, so maybe they were just really clueless back then. I thought the US made it as far as they could, they play with a lot of heart but come up short technically and mentally at times. Klinsmann has done really well with what's available, but it will be a while before the US can have bigger ambitions than making it out of their group and hope for a short run to the quarter-finals. No shame in that though, countries with a lot more tradition in the sport are on the same boat **cough** ENGLAND **cough**.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    skel said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Heart, fitness, desire and organisation got USMNT thus far.
    Clint won't be there for the next one.
    To sustain meriman interest, they really need to unearth a couple of game changing players over the next 2 or 3 years.
    But it was a blast to see the number of US fans in Brasil, the biggest non-Brasilian contingent by far.
    And the ex-pat turn out here in bars and pubs was awesome; my office dudes even sacrificed basketball practice to join in.
    Radical.

The US team, along with a few others (i.e. Swiss, Mexico, Algeria) have really made this World Cup very entertaining....what they lack in individual talent compared to the "big" boys, they make up in a remarkable team ethos (**cough** Ingerland **cough**).

Cudos to America, I think you'd be stretching ambition to not look back at this tournament as a fair result given the competition that we were up against. For that, I give them plaudits.

Also, I think people are really missing the point on the adoration of this team from the US public. This is not some tipping point of support for the game of SOCCER in this country, its just a really fun way for a bunch of people to support their country. 9/10 times when people are "supporting" America it gets tainted with talk of politics, industrial war complex, Corp greed, etc. This was just a sporting event that got people really amped and allowed them to wear American Flag garb without feeling like they had to get in a debate.

That said, I do believe that SOCCER is gaining interest, that many are starting to enjoy the uniqueness of the game when compared with other popular sports, and that the curmudgeon "anti-soccer" people are becoming outsiders, simply because people don't really care to argue with the "why I have to make you enjoy this game" persons.

I've seen the popularity of SOCCER increase several-fold over the past 10+ years. The success of World Cup has something to do with it, as does the broadcasting of international leagues, coverage of superstars via the internet, and even with the popularity of the FIFA video game.

So with that, I do not believe that US needs to find the next "Messi" to continue for the sport to gain popularity. I think it's just going to be a natural progression in this country....at times it may appear like its speeding up, other times like its stagnating. But I do think you will see some really good players and really good teams (both national and club) come from America in the years to come.

jlee said:

Also, I think people are really missing the point on the adoration of this team from the US public. This is not some tipping point of support for the game of SOCCER in this country, its just a really fun way for a bunch of people to support their country. 9/10 times when people are "supporting" America it gets tainted with talk of politics, industrial war complex, Corp greed, etc. This was just a sporting event that got people really amped and allowed them to wear American Flag garb without feeling like they had to get in a debate.

I was really trying to be a sport about it, but yesterday hanging with people vigorously waving American flags and chanting U-S-A U-S-A made me mad uncomfortable.

But yes, I totally agree with you that it's fine time to completely tune out the anti-soccer contingent here. They only sound stupid and aren't worth anyone's convincing.

And I think a big thing for US soccer will be to create its own unique identity. The We Believe ish is far too cultish for me, like hanging out with Mormons or some ish. We need theme music that we can be proud of. And frankly, I don't want to hear an Irish accent when listening to US games. Let's make this shit our own already and do it with style.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

I was really trying to be a sport about it, but yesterday hanging with people vigorously waving American flags and chanting U-S-A U-S-A made me mad uncomfortable.

But yes, I totally agree with you that it's fine time to completely tune out the anti-soccer contingent here. They only sound stupid and aren't worth anyone's convincing.

And I think a big thing for US soccer will be to create its own unique identity. The We Believe ish is far too cultish for me, like hanging out with Mormons or some ish.

no more american flags to support american teams and change the chant.

good luck!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    And I think a big thing for US soccer will be to create its own unique identity. The We Believe ish is far too cultish for me, like hanging out with Mormons or some ish. We need theme music that we can be proud of. And frankly, I don't want to hear an Irish accent when listening to US games. Let's make this shit our own already and do it with style.

I hear you on this...but I also think its a balance. Yeah, the idea that we need to drink Guinness or call each other "mate" just to watch a soccer match is ridiculous. As is the need to scream "Goooaalllll" like we are a paid sportscaster from Univision.

But, I think it is important to appreciate the more global aspects of the game, and enjoy how other countries and cultures have excelled from the way they play the game.

Countries that do not appreciate the element brought by foreign countries and players seem to stagnate. Russia historically has been loath to accept players in their own league from other countries (i'm sure its some cultural/racism component unfortunately), and they rarely have players move to other countries to play in other leagues....as a result their teams has been pretty stagnant over the years even though they are a big country, with lots of money and a passion for the game.

America would do wise to instill its own stamp on the game, but if we think that we can ignore all the other countries and what they have to offer, then I am certain it will take us longer to move to the next level.

jdeez said:

no more american flags to support american teams and change the chant.

good luck!

The flag's whatever. But the chant...that's easily the worst chant in sports history. It's self defeating. Of course we can win. Do you also believe that you can brush your teeth and wear a jacket? Ugh.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The "We Believe" thing is a straight rip from Red Sox fans in 2004, who had "Believe" on t-shirts and signs throughout the postseason. It made sense in the context of the Red Sox possibly winning the World Series after 86 years of frustration as a sort of "I hold on to my hope despite a lifetime of disappointment" thing. I guess I can see how that is supposed to translate to the World Cup, but with the previous decades full of apathy rather than frustration, it comes off more as a weird faith thing.