Jack White's Lazaretto

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Playing around in a pressing plant and coming up with inventive packaging ideas is fun.

No one has a problem with musicians playing around with all the gimmicks, bells and whistles in a recording studio.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I have an LL 10" from '88 which has Jack The Ripper and Going Back To Cali as a double groove. I also have a John Cooper Clarke 45 from '79 with a double groove.

In the early 90s, there was a brief trend amongst Detroit techno labels for mastering shit to play inside out. Underground Resistance had a couple, Reese did one, and there were a few more, the details of which I can't remember.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I fux with this gimmick shit. I saw dude on some TV show talmbout doin this a while ago.

Smashing Pumpkins is terrible.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    batmon said:

OKay, y'all. Only people you hated from afar liked them. Got it.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    I have an LL 10" from '88 which has Jack The Ripper and Going Back To Cali as a double groove. I also have a John Cooper Clarke 45 from '79 with a double groove.

In the early 90s, there was a brief trend amongst Detroit techno labels for mastering shit to play inside out. Underground Resistance had a couple, Reese did one, and there were a few more, the details of which I can't remember.

There were LP's made in the late 50's-early 60's that had between 6-10 grooves.

They were Horse Racing records that would have a different winner depending on what groove the needle was tracking.

HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:

Nope..had goofy coworkers that repped them for three years to never speak on them afterwards.

I still like you, its cool.

batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:

Nope..had goofy coworkers that repped them for three years to never speak on them afterwards.

I'm actually not still trying to champion them as anything today. I was just using them as a past example for another point. Didn't expect any backlash. But hey, nothing should surprise.

HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:

I'm actually not still trying to champion them as anything today. I was just using them as a past example for another point. Didn't expect any backlash. But hey, nothing should surprise.

actual balls?

batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:

actual balls?

Yeah, when they would rock out, they would rock the fuck out. Opposed to similar bands today that never get to rocking the fuck out...ever.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

There were LP's made in the late 50's-early 60's that had between 6-10 grooves.

They were Horse Racing records that would have a different winner depending on what groove the needle was tracking.

I don't think I knew that. But I know those records. I think they were part of a board game.

• StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
    Dunno about the vinyl, but the two things ive heard off the record BANG

also loved JW's blunderbuss record..

yo

• Hidden tracks under the label = obsessive collectros have to buy 2 copies (one to soak the labels off so that you can play, and one to keep in OG condition). At least that's what I'd do if Jack White was something I collected. The Hologram sounds pretty dope and I' d like to see it.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    edit: I have several different Omar-S releases from the mid 2000's that play inside out and have a locked groove at the outer edge.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    In terms of hidden tracks, you don't have to hide it under the label. It can be done in the deadwax just like on Hugh Masekela's - 'Masekela' Side 2, there's a hidden track in the deadwax.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Are there any with separate grooves that meet for the body of the song?

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Its only a matter of time till an album is released on novelty wax coated cardboard toilet roll. No compression used!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Those Drums said:
    Hidden tracks under the label = obsessive collectros have to buy 2 copies (one to soak the labels off so that you can play, and one to keep in OG condition). At least that's what I'd do if Jack White was something I collected. The Hologram sounds pretty dope and I' d like to see it.

Supposedly the label sticks into the grooves and you can actually play the song through he label but it sounds rough. I'm sure it's not good for the record needle or label.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Herm said:
    Are there any with separate grooves that meet for the body of the song?

Have to admit, first I ever heard of that.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    volumen said:
    Those Drums said:
    Hidden tracks under the label = obsessive collectros have to buy 2 copies (one to soak the labels off so that you can play, and one to keep in OG condition). At least that's what I'd do if Jack White was something I collected. The Hologram sounds pretty dope and I' d like to see it.

Supposedly the label sticks into the grooves and you can actually play the song through he label but it sounds rough. I'm sure it's not good for the record needle or label.

That sort of defies logic though. Even smashed into the grooves, the paper of the label would cancel out the shapes in the groove. But maybe like you said, it's rough, like it's pushed in enough to conform to the grooves, but I still don't understand how that could possibly work. Maybe the label is in colored wax in the center.

Also, I wonder if a lot of the people who would buy this have a turntable that would automatically pick
    up the arm when it got that far into the label area?

Regardless, this is the most the strut has talked about dude in a while, so gimmicky or not, it's working as a promotional tool.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    volumen said:
    Those Drums said:

That sort of defies logic though. Even smashed into the grooves, the paper of the label would cancel out the shapes in the groove. But maybe like you said, it's rough, like it's pushed in enough to conform to the grooves, but I still don't understand how that could possibly work. Maybe the label is in colored wax in the center.

Also, I wonder if a lot of the people who would buy this have a turntable that would automatically pick
    up the arm when it got that far into the label area?

Regardless, this is the most the strut has talked about dude in a while, so gimmicky or not, it's working as a promotional tool.

I assumed everyone already saw this but I guess not. They play the center track under the label. Just sounds like a kid singing or something. If someone is really into records they should have a player with a fully manual tone arm.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    volumen said:
    Those Drums said:

That sort of defies logic though. Even smashed into the grooves, the paper of the label would cancel out the shapes in the groove. But maybe like you said, it's rough, like it's pushed in enough to conform to the grooves, but I still don't understand how that could possibly work. Maybe the label is in colored wax in the center..

Could be it's the labels that contain the grooves like those record postcards that I think were plastic coated paper with the groove pressed in.

Edit: in the video above they explain that the groove was actually covered by the paper label blababla... Very cool presentation video by the way.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Nice video explaining everything. I can't hate. They're having fun with it and are fully aware of the big picture with the "we'll never know if we're the first to do this, you'd have to listen to every piece of vinyl ever" and "you don't need a slide rule to listen to this album, you can just put it on and let it play."

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    dude's guitars sound awesome, that's all I know.

I have two white stripes records, and they're both listenable. De Stijl and the one whatever has the one white one red double LP. I definitely had a Z-trip style 7 nation army superbeatmix in my bedroom deejay sets for a few months, and cannot believe how crazy it is that shit got euro-soccer-chanted up and now I hear it at NBA games. So good. Now? Why now? Is he less of a jock than Freddie Merczx, thereby making the sportsfan chanting his song the weirdest ever?

I'll keep taking my time checking out his albums, so as not to overdose.

I had a rapping 7" that went backwards, from some superscientifical / self-aware funny caucazoidcrew I forget the name of. Did not pass GOOD MUSIC test. It is gone.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    I kinda like the guy.
    I don't own any of his music, but I like what I hear.

I liked that doc he was in with Page and the Edge too.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    I kinda like the guy.
    I don't own any of his music, but I like what I hear.

I liked that doc he was in with Page and the Edge too.

That was a good doc. It could have been brilliant with someone other than the Edge. It made me sick to have one of the worst perpetrators of inflated arena rock present himself as a punk veteran.

I thought early U2 was given Post -Punk credibilty.

Sham from day one????

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Smashing Pumpkins opening for U2: FRANK, DO YOU ATTEND AND IF SO WHAT WEAPONS DO YOU BRING?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    batmon said:

Sham from day one????

Most definitely.

dukeofdelridge said:
    Smashing Pumpkins opening for U2: FRANK, DO YOU ATTEND AND IF SO WHAT WEAPONS DO YOU BRING?

the horror... the horror...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Frank said:
    batmon said:

Sham from day one????

Most definitely.

I think it comes from when the band first got started no? Before they were U2 they were playing and covering punk songs. And as my memory goes into remembering what I once saw in an interview WAY back in the day, the U2 name came from one of the dudes from the Irish punk band The Radiators From Space who was a friend of theirs.

In any case. I liked that doc with Page and White and the Edge... The part with Page gushing over Link Wray always comes up in my head from time to time.