It is going to get worse. (Politics and $$$ related)

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    yeah brahs zero reason why one of the first things dictatorships try to do when rising to power is to disarm the population

Iraq, under Saddam, guns ownership was legal.
    As soon as the US took over they outlawed gun ownership.
    Proving your point.

PatrickCrazy said:

no one can buy all the guns they want

You were right about the dictatorship thing but wrong about this.
    Volumen has already said that he and his family own all the guns they want.

I make +1.

What exactly is stopping you from owning all the guns you want?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

But hell yeah, all the guns owned by civilians in the US has slowed the tyranny of executing or throwing any more of us into prison over political reasons.

Do you have an example to illustrate this? European gun laws are more strict than the US and you could actually argue Europeans have more general freedoms than the US. More workers rights. More public health care. More controls on chemicals exposure. And they've acieved this through protests and organization. Not closets full of guns Europe isn't perfect but if you protest in the US you get pepper sprayed and beat up in pretty quick order. That's called tyranny. Just try pulling your gun out and your next protest rally and see what happens. Do you remember the WTO protest in Seattle? They were shooting unarmed people with rubber bullets and coating down town in tear gas and pepper spray because their was a difference in political ideology. Political tyranny at its finest. If you had a gun at that rally you would have been shot dead and the cop would have been given a metal.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    volumen said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:

guns for everyone because the elites income trump children being murdered.

Umm, you lost me bigtime there. Guns are to protect individual selves as well as to protect us collectively from tyranny.

You can't want freedom and not want individuals to be free to own their own guns.

Dude, I'm talking about proper background checks, wait periods and no extra large clips. None of these infringe on your rights. If your actually worried about having an extra large clip to defend your self against government agents then news flash, it won't help. They will just drone you into oblivion.

We are living under tyranny right now, all the civilian guns have done nothing to stop this. Your gun is not stopping NSA from collecting all your personal info and unregulated spying on innocent civilians is a form of tyranny.

Your a smart guy Harvey but your falling right into the NRA's trap in thinking a gun in your closet makes you free.

You hadn't made any of those distinctions.

But hell yeah, all the guns owned by civilians in the US has slowed the tyranny of executing or throwing any more of us into prison over political reasons.

And while you say I'm aping the NRA (I'm not at all), you sound like you are aping the other end of the extreme...as if it's specifically large clips that has killed the children you mentioned.

I actually want civilians to have access to ALL weapons in existence as that what's governments (with 95% of them proven to be corrupt) have. Okay, maybe not nukes...but nobody should have those, governments included.

I grew up hunting and target shooting and all my family and in-laws own guns. Not one of us sees the need to own anything other than shotguns, rifles (hunting not assault) and pistols that hold the standard amount of bullets. The only reason you need large clips is to kill people. Yes, people kill people but guns make it easier and quicker to kill people. You could not kill 20 people in a movie theater if you had to strangle them. Seriously when has an armed citizen ever stopped a shooting spree because he was allowed to carry a concealed large clip gun? Never. What rights are you preserving having a gun in your house? None. Who will you stop from taking over with that gun? Nobody. The only thing your going to succeed in doing is to go down shooting, but your still going down. Your fully entitles to own a gun and defend your self but to actually claim you are going to stop tyranny with your gun is total la la land.

Cool. says you for you. Your family has the guns y'all want. Now don't come to my house and tell my family what guns we need to own or not own. Because maybe we have reasons you don't know about to want to own something outside of your own personal mindframe.

You want to minimize death, don't worry so much about about school shootings, some of which were staged by the way. But instead go after the US military who use much more lethal weapons to kill more innocent people than anybody.

I'm noticing how it's like you are addressing me as if you are leaving right off on another conversation you were having with someone else. My stance is that if Joe Soldier in my country can wield an M-16, then so should I be able to. He and I are supposedly on the same team so neither of us should have anything to worry about from each other.

volumen said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Do you have an example to illustrate this?

You ain't ever heard of them pulling bullshit like they did in Boston with those door to door sweeps in Texas, have you?

And shit, last killing spree was down here, just yesterday. But guess what, it was a PTSD soldier at a spot that has had recurring incidents. And hey, he used a .45 pistol. So of course throw a new law out there and some insults at the NRA and that totally wouldn't have happened.

PatrickCrazy said:

You would even believe me if I told you how many guns my family owns. We have all we want and a few more just because they looked like fun to shoot. We are still responsible about gun safety and don't kid ourselves that guns give us some sort of political power.

volumen said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

You would even believe me if I told you how many guns my family owns. We have all we want and a few more just because they looked like fun to shoot. We are still responsible about gun safety and don't kid ourselves that guns give us some sort of political power.

Not political power, physical power.

You are already of it. Stop playing denial and just be it already because if the shit goes down your family with guns will be the ones protecting you. Call it an insurance policy. I know none of y'all are going to shoot up a school. That's for Manchurian Candidate soldiers with microchips under their skin.

volumen said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:

Umm, you lost me bigtime there. Guns are to protect individual selves as well as to protect us collectively from tyranny.

You can't want freedom and not want individuals to be free to own their own guns.

Dude, I'm talking about proper background checks, wait periods and no extra large clips. None of these infringe on your rights. If your actually worried about having an extra large clip to defend your self against government agents then news flash, it won't help. They will just drone you into oblivion.

We are living under tyranny right now, all the civilian guns have done nothing to stop this. Your gun is not stopping NSA from collecting all your personal info and unregulated spying on innocent civilians is a form of tyranny.

Your a smart guy Harvey but your falling right into the NRA's trap in thinking a gun in your closet makes you free.

And while you say I'm aping the NRA (I'm not at all), you sound like you are aping the other end of the extreme...as if it's specifically large clips that has killed the children you mentioned.

I actually want civilians to have access to ALL weapons in existence as that what's governments (with 95% of them proven to be corrupt) have. Okay, maybe not nukes...but nobody should have those, governments included.

I grew up hunting and target shooting and all my family and in-laws own guns. Not one of us sees the need to own anything other than shotguns, rifles (hunting not assault) and pistols that hold the standard amount of bullets. The only reason you need large clips is to kill people. Yes, people kill people but guns make it easier and quicker to kill people. You could not kill 20 people in a movie theater if you had to strangle them. Seriously when has an armed citizen ever stopped a shooting spree because he was allowed to carry a concealed large clip gun? Never. What rights are you preserving having a gun in your house? None. Who will you stop from taking over with that gun? Nobody. The only thing your going to succeed in doing is to go down shooting, but your still going down. Your fully entitles to own a gun and defend your self but to actually claim you are going to stop tyranny with your gun is total la la land.

Cool. says you for you. Your family has the guns y'all want. Now don't come to my house and tell my family what guns we need to own or not own. Because maybe we have reasons you don't know about to want to own something outside of your own personal mindframe.

You want to minimize death, don't worry so much about about school shootings, some of which were staged by the way. But instead go after the US military who use much more lethal weapons to kill more innocent people than anybody.

I'm noticing how it's like you are addressing me as if you are leaving right off on another conversation you were having with someone else. My stance is that if Joe Soldier in my country can wield an M-16, then so should I be able to. He and I are supposedly on the same team so neither of us should have anything to worry about from each other.

Staged school shootings and mutual assured destruction as a lifestyle choice. I forgot how paranoid you are.

HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:
    HarveyCanal said:

You ain't ever heard of them pulling bullshit like they did in Boston with those door to door sweeps in Texas, have you?

They were looking for mass murderers that they knew were in a small block radius. It's not like that is a day to day occurrence to make sure your not reading Pravda.

volumen said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:

Staged school shootings and mutual assured destruction as a lifestyle choice. I forgot how paranoid you are.

You should like totally talk anti gun and brag about all your family's guns at the same time.

volumen said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:
    HarveyCanal said:

They were looking for mass murderers that they knew were in a small block radius. It's not like that is a day to day occurrence to make sure your not reading Pravda.

Great, so now an excuse serves as a warrant. Not in Texas it doesn't. Shit would not fly.

HarveyCanal said:
    And shit, last killing spree was down here, just yesterday. But guess what, it was a PTSD soldier at a spot that has had recurring incidents. And hey, he used a .45 pistol. So of course throw a new law out there and some insults at the NRA and that totally wouldn't have happened.

Hold the phone. A shooting spree happened at a military base in Texas. Even the most armed place in Texas couldn't stop one guy from killing multiple people before killing himself. Maybe more guns aren't the answer?

volumen said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:

You should like totally talk anti gun and brag about all your family's guns at the same time.

I'm not anti gun. I'm anti banana clip in a semi automatic assault rifle sold to a 20 year old with mental health issues. . There is a difference.

HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Great, so now an excuse serves as a warrant. Not in Texas it doesn't. Shit would not fly.

Catching a mass murdering terrorist who in known to be hiding in that neighborhood is a pretty good excuse. You would rather they let him kill a few households while they fill out the paperwork? Texans locked down a whole military base twice and told the occupants to duck and cover. Why didn't they just tell everybody on base to grab a gun and start huntin' that sombitch? Oh cause they live in the real Texas and you live in a Wild West fantasy world that has never actually existed.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I thought we was talkin bout weed?

HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

Not political power, physical power.

You are already of it. Stop playing denial and just be it already because if the shit goes down your family with guns will be the ones protecting you. Call it an insurance policy. I know none of y'all are going to shoot up a school. That's for Manchurian Candidate soldiers with microchips under their skin.

The only thing we might stop is a couple of looters. When the government shows up with their tyranny we are dead meat. That was your original claim that owning guns stops political tyranny. Guns don't beat tanks and drones.

jlee said:
    I thought we was talkin bout weed?

Harvey is stoned and paranoid so technically we still are.

volumen said:
    Catching a mass murdering terrorist who in known to be hiding in that neighborhood is a pretty good excuse. You would rather they let him kill a few households while they fill out the paperwork? Texans locked down a whole military base twice and told the occupants to duck and cover. Why didn't they just tell everybody on base to grab a gun and start huntin' that sombitch? Oh cause they live in the real Texas and you live in a Wild West fantasy world that has never actually existed.

Noone can have guns on base. They are locked up in the armory. So it's the opposite of what you are trying to say. If everybody there was strapped, dude wouldn't have even attempted it.

volumen said:

The only thing we might stop is a couple of looters. When the government shows up with their tyranny we are dead meat. That was your original claim that owning guns stops political tyranny. Guns don't beat tanks and drones.

Way to put up a fight there, buddy.

I don't believe that at all. Most of the US military would refuse to turn on us like that. And when their bosses start using all the foreign troops they've been bringing in, the US military defectors will be on our side.

At any rate, you should read up on centuries of succesful guerilla war history.

That or go sew a Christmas sweater with grandma.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:

I don't believe that at all. Most of the US military would refuse to turn on us like that. And when their bosses start using all the foreign troops they've been bringing in, the US military defectors will be on our side.

This whole scenario is beyond preposterous.

Sorry, but the world has long since passed you by.

The government hasn't needed the military/force model for many decades.

Flat screen TVs, smart phones, fast food and poverty are far more effective than guns. People only revolt when they are starving. A population fattened up on Big Macs and staring at glowing screens is not going to revolt.

You can sit at home with your gun waiting as long as you want, but that knock that will never come because you lost years ago and just don't know it yet.

• HarveyCanal said:

Texass as a staunch defender of civil liberties...

One of the dumbest and one of the funniest things ever written by a human being.

https://www.google.com/#q=warrantless+searches+in+texas&safe=off

http://benswann.com/warrantless-vaginal-searches-conducted-by-texas-police/

"Shit would not fly." Like fucking fuck it wouldn't. Harvey knows shit about shit. He lives in a fascist sewer and thinks it's a beacon of liberty because they let him jack off while holding a pistol in his "free" hand.

Yee hah!

HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:

Noone can have guns on base. They are locked up in the armory. So it's the opposite of what you are trying to say. If everybody there was strapped, dude wouldn't have even attempted it.

I'm pretty sure bases have armed guards and MPs

HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:

At any rate, you should read up on centuries of succesful guerilla war history.

That or go sew a Christmas sweater with grandma.

I agree a lot of military would not turn on the public but some would and they wouldn't fight door to door. If you what to plan an imaginary war I would imagine the elite would pick us off with drones and large artillery from their underground bunkers that I'm sure you have the schematics on. Once again guns would not help. I would be better off knitting sweaters in the wilderness living by hunting than any one who chose to stay home taking pot shots at drones with there assault rifle.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    PLEASE DON'T ARM YOURSELVES PEOPLE.

It means more of your women and property for me!

Thanks.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

This is about transferring the wealth from us to the 1%.

Hey Dan, I'm really stuck on this sentence and not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate on what you mean by transferring?
    And what exactly is "the wealth" ?

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:

Flat screen TVs, smart phones, fast food and poverty are far more effective than guns. People only revolt when they are starving. A population fattened up on Big Macs and staring at glowing screens is not going to revolt.

You can sit at home with your gun waiting as long as you want, but that knock that will never come because you lost years ago and just don't know it yet.

Thank you.

It's high time we all start realizing that wars are not won and lost via armed conflict, if they ever really were. That has been proven over and over, and the fact that we seem unwilling to accept it is why we keep losing.

ÔÇ£The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.ÔÇØ

ÔÇ£Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to winÔÇØ

-The Art of War

Horseleech said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    volumen said:

If the world has indeed passed me by , it's because it knows better than to fuck with me.

Seriously, a well armed populace is better able to shield itself from all of the psychological and economic warfare y'all are speaking of.

JustAlice said:
    LaserWolf said:

This is about transferring the wealth from us to the 1%.

Hey Dan, I'm really stuck on this sentence and not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate on what you mean by transferring?
    And what exactly is "the wealth" ?

Hi Alice.
    As you know we do not have a free and open economy. The government, everywhere, always, controls the economy.
    In the paper every day are lots of examples of government policies that make the rich richer.
    In today's paper is detailed how Caterpillar avoids billions of dollars in taxes. Using laws that favor the wealthy and assure that the middle class pays. In most any article you read about Caterpillar it will explain why their tax dodge is different from the tax dodge used by google which is different than the tax dodge used by facebook.
    These dodges are all legal and are written into the tax code to give advantage to those who pay for campaigns.

Also in the paper today was a story on the "record fine" settlement with Anadarko. Anadarko stock skyrocketed on news of the 5.1 billion dollar fine. Why? Because the money will go to pay for 20 billion dollar clean up of Anadarko's waste. So in reality not only does Anadarko not have to clean up their waste, they didn't even have to pay a fine for creating the waste. Who will pay to clean up their waste? You and me.

These stories are in the business section of papers everyday.

Here are some graphics showing the current transfer of wealth.

When workers are more productive they are supposed to earn more money. That is a basic tenant of capitalism.
    But in reality, today, the gains from worker productivity is going owners, not workers.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Horseleech said:

Flat screen TVs, smart phones, fast food, gripsweats for raer records and poverty are far more effective than guns. People only revolt when they are starving. A population fattened up on Big Macs and staring at glowing screens is not going to revolt. .