so whats jazzing anno 2014

upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
no at all up on any recent jazz acts but coincidentally heard this yesterday, uk jazz trio.. pretty nice!!

Comments

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I don't think they have any records out but someone posted this vid of the Myron McKinley Trio performing at NAMM in January that was pretty face melting, I'd buy a record for sure. Myron is the musical director for Earth, Wind, & Fire BTW...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Resolution 88

ÔÇ£Wow. Soulful music, played with passion and incredible skill. This harkens to the best funk-jazz of the sixties and seventies and takes it to a new level. Think Headhunters for the new millennium.ÔÇØ
    - Bob Power (The Roots, Erykah Badu, DAngelo) New York 2013

http://www.resolution88.com/store/#!/~/product/category=0&id=30671189

TomO is a Strutter.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    What's up with The Heliocentrics? I really like their album with Mulatu but haven't heard anything else.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    My most recent current Jazz likes:

Get The Blessing - Lop and Antilope
    Chicago Underground Duo - Locus
    Mark Guiliana / Brad Mehldau - Mehliana: Taming the Dragon
    Kris Bowers - Heroes and Misfits
    Vijay Iyer - Mutations
    Ben Allison - The Stars Look Very Different
    Kneebody - The Line
    Derrick Hodge - Live Today
    Gregory Porter - Liquid Spirit (easily the best male jazz vocal album of the past 10 years)

Too lazy to youtube them...but they are all well worth checking

I've heard all the Gregory Porter stuff but I couldn't feel it. I didn't know why, because he can certainly sing. But after trying a few more times, I sussed it:

Despite being technically great, it seems to lack any individual detail. If his voice was a person, it would be a storefront mannequin.

But he's pretty much got the under-70 male jazz singer genre* to himself, so yeah Greg, fill your boots.

*Connick and Cullum are singing pianists, no?

If you dig 70's spiritual jazz check out Menagerie - They Shall Inherit. They capture the vibe well.

Very cool stuff, I always dug Tom's youtube videos, glad to hear him doing his own thing. I'll be buying for sure.

J i m s t e r said:
    Resolution 88

ÔÇ£Wow. Soulful music, played with passion and incredible skill. This harkens to the best funk-jazz of the sixties and seventies and takes it to a new level. Think Headhunters for the new millennium.ÔÇØ
    - Bob Power (The Roots, Erykah Badu, DAngelo) New York 2013

http://www.resolution88.com/store/#!/~/product/category=0&id=30671189

TomO is a Strutter.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    I've heard all the Gregory Porter stuff but I couldn't feel it. I didn't know why, because he can certainly sing. But after trying a few more times, I sussed it:

Despite being technically great, it seems to lack any individual detail. If his voice was a person, it would be a storefront mannequin.

But he's pretty much got the under-70 male jazz singer genre* to himself, so yeah Greg, fill your boots.

*Connick and Cullum are singing pianists, no?

That's not how you spell p*nis.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    This is a great thread. Newer Jazz is not something I am very familiar with. Looking forward to doing some googling to discover more from the artists mentioned.

I think that Menagerie track is my favourite thing so far. Perfect music for mornings on the weekend, sipping a coffee on the porch.

Wish I had suggestions to contribute. I am grateful to everyone who has posted!

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    loving the new gogo penguin album very much! on heavy rotation...

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    Years ago I discovered a "met" a guy called Sean Smith via an ebay auction where he sold some Japanese reissues of classic Soul/Funk/Jazz albums as well as a few new Japanese and European Jazz releases I had not heard of. Over the cause of the years he started writing on a blog and on google+ about new releases, usually with sound clips.
    This is a good way of finding out about a lot of new Jazz that would otherwise be completely off my radar: http://tokyojazznotes.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

Thanks for the headsup on the Tokyo Jazz Notes blog. This is really nice:

• leonleon 883 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Thanks for the headsup on the Tokyo Jazz Notes blog. This is really nice:

To my ears this is an awful crooner version. The clip doesn't make it better.
    Brrrr.

Edit: Like the stuff Astro posted! Proper skills.

awful crooner version

I like the way she pitches a bit like a mute trumpet, and the darker chords - When I think about the OG, I don't think it's solemn enough for the lyric. Stripe-and-spliff headnodding while the bloodshed unfolds - I dunno, Kingston man speak on it.

YMOV.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Depending on how rigidly you define the "j" word, this might work for some of youse guys. The album is a lot less "jam-band noodling" than I expected.

• just stumbled across this on twitter...

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    Nat Birchall: Manchester saxophonist who is about to release a great, deep, spiritual live concert on double LP. Highly recommended!
    Nicola Conte: nujazz veteran, is about to release a new album on Schema records, featuring Timo Lassy (all of whose stuff is great, really)
    Takuya Kuroda: Japanese trumpeter living in the US, recently released an album on Blue Note, produced by Jos├® James. Many funk and afro-beat influences, really good.