Spike Lee is a low-balling motherfucker

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Rockadelic said:
    I watched the interview and the thing that stuck with me was simply that the schools, services, etc. had improved with gentrification.

That's Spike's whole point. The city wasn't sincerely trying to improve any of that when it was a black neighborhood. But then once it started turning into a more white neighborhood, the long-needed resources suddenly started falling from the sky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leimert_Park,_Los_Angeles

If you can't count on the government doing it for you why not improve it yourself?

Improve a public school yourself? Collect garbage yourself? That shit is already paid for with our taxes. We need to hold our public servants responsible for doing a good job in white neighborhoods and in turn deliberately doing a poor job in black neighborhoods. That's the issue being talked about here. I don't know why you are choosing to act so naive on this subject, but you are deserving of a trophy for it right about now.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Guzzo said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Rockadelic said:
    I watched the interview and the thing that stuck with me was simply that the schools, services, etc. had improved with gentrification.

That's Spike's whole point. The city wasn't sincerely trying to improve any of that when it was a black neighborhood. But then once it started turning into a more white neighborhood, the long-needed resources suddenly started falling from the sky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leimert_Park,_Los_Angeles

If you can't count on the government doing it for you why not improve it yourself?

Improve a public school yourself? Collect garbage yourself? That shit is already paid for with our taxes. We need to hold our public servants responsible for doing a good job in white neighborhoods and in turn deliberately doing a poor job in black neighborhoods. That's the issue being talked about here. I don't know why you are choosing to act so naive on this subject, but you are deserving of a trophy for it right about now.

I'm hearing people here saying theres a long history of racism which leads to neighborhoods not getting better til white people move in or the neighborhood gets economically better. So if thats the case why not build from within the neighborhood and stop counting on government to do what they haven't done in pretty much ever. Leimert Park is a great example

http://www.blackpanther.org/TenPoint.htm

and its not acting Naive, its taking Spikes points and seeing them the way he, in a public light, is talking about them/ starting a public discussion. What he's saying doesn't sound bad, what he's saying sounds bitter and sad.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    smh

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Leimert Park is great for what it is. But it's not a school and it's not garbage collection and it's not rent control either.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    batmon said:
    smh

I feel like I'm more being held in the light of representing a pro-racist stance of being for changing neighborhoods so minorities have it harder.

I understand generations of racism lead to particular neighborhoods being as they are and the want for people to find affordable housing/ improve or flee neighborhoods exposes economic and/or racist practices I'm just saying the way Spike is framing doesn't necessarily sound bad.

Maybe his voice isn't really lending to making people care anymore than they did about the issue. Do y'all really think that my interpretation of what spike said is that unique?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    You want to dissect what Spike says, people respond by saying 'these are the facts', and you respond by saying, 'but I am not interested in facts, I am interested in what Spike said'. Not a recipe for communication.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    You want to dissect what Spike says, people respond by saying 'these are the facts', and you respond by saying, 'but I am not interested in facts, I am interested in what Spike said'. Not a recipe for communication.

Oh I'm interested in the facts for sure, but theres other things being sprinkled in here, theres also the other side in which people aren't talking about the positives of economic improvement, etc.

I said my piece, I showed that there may be a perspective people might be looking at this who are trying to understand and form an opinion and ask questions on the topic. I think I'll bow out now

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Didn't mean to run you off.

• HarveyCanal said:
    The thing from the interview that stuck with me the most was Spike talking about his dad playing his bass at his spot for 40 years without anyone ever complaining and then along come some new additions who didn't hesitate 2 seconds to call the cops with a noise complaint.

That's some deserving of a sledge hammer to the forehead bs right there.

The exact same thing is happening here in Amsterdam, and it's not even race-related. The yuppie and hipster plague has spread everywhere and they are moving in all the former working class neigbourhoods of Amsterdam's city centre. Now there are some many complaints coming in that many bars and clubs are forced to close their doors very early in the evening.

• are 'motherfucking hipsters' white? are there no black hipsters? Asian? Latino?

y'all some christopher columbus'ing motherfuckers.

• can you believe the Christopher Columbus'ing that's happening in Detroit right now you guys?!

lets go protest

• spike lee cares about spike lee. he ain't about SHIT

he's done for black people what Top Gun did for gay fighter pilots.

• You a hatter bro.

vintageinfants said:
    spike lee cares about spike lee. he ain't about SHIT

are u serious?

• batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    spike lee cares about spike lee. he ain't about SHIT

are u serious?

not entirely. spike lee IS a jackass tho

• "eassst williammsssbuuuuurgggggggg? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY"

• Spike Lee is a clown. He added zero intelligence to what is a very complex social issue. I can't help but get the sense Spike is much more intelligent and has more nuanced opinions than what we see in the media. Maybe he realizes the only type of opinion that will make headlines/get noticed will be one similar to the one he made. It probably suits today's short attention spans best. Cops were called to his father's house? This is what he chooses to discuss? Garbage pickup? I'm no NYC native but from what I've seen the entire NYC area has an issue with garbage pickup.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    http://vanishingnewyork.blogspot.com/2014/03/on-spike-lee-hyper-gentrification.html

essential piece for anyone remotely interested in this subject.

Guzzo - it goes directly to your arguments in this thread.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I'm not trying to make any point with this or imply that it's any kind of metric--just a by-the-by thing that this thread has made me semi-curious about: How many black NYC residents are currently active on soulstrut? Two? Three?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    http://vanishingnewyork.blogspot.com/2014/03/on-spike-lee-hyper-gentrification.html

essential piece for anyone remotely interested in this subject.

Thanks for this. I've moved out of two (Toronto) neighbourhoods due to drastic changes in the cultural and economic landscape.
    The "but but but we've made the place better, cleaner, more interesting" argument is very prevalent around these parts, too.

james said:
    I'm not trying to make any point with this or imply that it's any kind of metric--just a by-the-by thing that this thread has made me semi-curious about: How many black NYC residents are currently active on soulstrut? Two? Three?

Counting the two nappy dogs in Harlem?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'm 1/8th Black Irish. I don't live in the city anymore though. Gentrification-related.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I don't know how long i'm going to be living in the city
    75% moving from harlem after lease is up

lol

PatrickCrazy said:
    75% moving from harlem after lease is up

Why?

• PatrickCrazy said: