Rap You're Liking

Comments

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Whoa that Black Milk beat is crazy. That dude rarely disappoints.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    )

thoughts on the new ross?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Herm said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Grandfather said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Grandfather said:
    audio day dream is great, good post harv

They have a soundcloud or a place to get an audio file of this?

they dropped a mixtape today Duder

http://www.djbooth.net/index/albums/review/add-divehiflylo-every-man-is-king

Thanks, I was just about to post that. It's actually a proper album.

These dudes are dope. Kinda remind of G-Side a bit. Well, G-Side's first album.

Only a 160 mp3? Would buy a WAV or 320 if there's a shop selling.

320 free DL on their soundcloud!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    The best mid-90's, Wu Tang-influenced rap outta Houston you've never heard before...

Sorry, decided to take this down because of the weird way it speeds up for a stretch in the middle of the song. Don't remember my many dubbed versions ever doing that on cassette so I'm going to eventually re-record it and re-post. In the meantime, I leave you with this unreleased Scientist track. They were Crazy C's group outta Houston...

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    DWELLAS AND MORE DWELLAS

Been uploading more old stuff from cassettes. These 3 songs all came from the Messenjas from the Darkside compilation that came outta Austin/San Antonio in '96...

Another mid-90's Texas rap raer...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    everyone feeling YG right?

or nah?

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

or nah?

maybe I'm an old, crusty rap traditionalist, but I really don't understand the critical acclaim for this album. Can someone please to explain?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    meant in the nicest way possible, you might be, because it's about the least explanation-requiring shit I can think of. just some hard ass west coast gangster shit.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

or nah?

Took me a couple of listens, but yeah, I like it. It's a lot of fun to listen to, strange as that might sound. Likewise Sage - another record with seemingly few pretensions beyond being just straight-up rap music, and all the better for it. I actually think the Sage album is more instant, or at least for me it was.

The Vince Staples tape is good, too, although I need to spend a bit more time with that. Digging the MadGibbs as well.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Been playing the YG all week, really enjoying it. "1 a.m." - a Dre beat sounding almost horrorcore, with Axelrod in the credits?!?

Edit...

Duh - it's "The Next Episode."

Hell fucking yes...

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    ^dddope

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I like:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Some interesting stuff here.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts

:beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I am a huge fan of Schoolboy Q's first two so a bit of a drag that I only like the Los Awesome track off the new one.

I couldn't find a working link for the YG, got frustrated and gave up lol - I'll try again. How far of a departure (or refinement) is My Krazy Life from his previous stuff? I liked what I heard fine, but nothing really grabbed me.

Here's a blast from the past that was on heavy play this weekend - still sounds so good.

Bassie, weren't you sayin something about Drunk in Love being dope but not feeling Bey n Jay?

Yes, thank you for remembering and posting....and not to be rude, but I think this might be worse.

:grrr:

bassie said:
    Yes, thank you for remembering and posting....and not to be rude, but I think this might be worse.

:grrr:

Haha!

From 1994's The Sounds of the Good Life cassette...

DocMcCoy said:

The Vince Staples tape is good, too, although I need to spend a bit more time with that. Digging the MadGibbs as well.

I am lovimg the Vince Staples.
    I keep trying to like Freddie Gibbs, but he just leaves me cold. I like the Scarface 'Broken' track and that's not even anything big big.

ok - please help an old lady out- where are people getting the YG link from?

Now I'm curious on whether there is any consensus possible on Future?

Junior, Sr (MIA) was/is a big fan of Pluto, not sure how he feels about Future's entire oeuvre up to now.

I can't stand that whole nasal whiny autotune sound he favours, especially for a whole song.
    I do like Same Damn Time in all its ridiculousness (and that it's closer to his 'regular' voice).
    And Parachute is one of the best stripper songs out there.

He's fine as a feature, not as the main attraction imo.

Jonny_Paycheck said:

or nah?

Thank You, kind people, for the YG links. I couldn't even listen to a stream because Spotify was blocking me out - for why, I don't know.
    Now, I'm set.

Listened to it a few times and I like it...especially the dark and chewy production. I found myself tuning in and out of the lyrics and more listening to his flow as part of the song. All the n-words and young guns drama is exhausting after a while - it's a right mood/right environment thing for me.

This snapshot line made me smile, though.

"All my homies gangbangers
    They dry their clothes on hangers
    "

But, yea, the production.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    bassie said:

I can't stand that whole nasal whiny autotune sound he favours, especially for a whole song.

thought i was the only one!
    it's awful.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

Track off the OC and Raywest EP which I copped recently. Great, great ep.
    Production throughout is standout and OC is in a great place as an mc

These are also great - Beneficence is a straight up golden era throwback mc and hes crafted a superb 90's style album with Concrete Soul. Many features and producers seasoned heads will check for on the album.

Gibbs Madlib is sick as hell too album is getting tons of album of the year nods 4 months in - telling enough. My fav tune would be thuggin, i suppose. The 12 for that came out a while back but love this track 'Bomb' w. Raekwon as well - some type of sleazy italian style soundtrack intro which then flips. madlib is arguably the star of the show on the album.

bassie said:
    Junior, Sr (MIA) was/is a big fan of Pluto, not sure how he feels about Future's entire oeuvre up to now.

I do like Same Damn Time in all its ridiculousness (and that it's closer to his 'regular' voice).
    And Parachute is one of the best stripper songs out there.

He's fine as a feature, not as the main attraction imo.

yeah, i wasn't into Pluto overall, and i generally HATE the autotune game these days (and yes, hate is a strong word). but i feel like he comes up with something totally singular every once in a while that i can't help but love.