Where's the MFIng plane, godammit?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    bassie said:
    The_Non said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:
    It was stolen and landed in an abandoned military jungle airport.

I work with a guy who is ex-CIA and he absolutely believes this.....says most likely in Vietnam on one of the many airstrips that our military built.

As time goes on, I'm starting to believe this too, and for reasons/purposes that are simply terrifying to imagine, particularly after the revelation the plane flew 4-5 more hrs after it stopped showing up on radar.

I've read mixed reports about the extra flight hours, they've confirmed it now?
    Yeah, mixed reports, but US sending a ship to Indian Ocean costs money. I don't think they'd do it unless it was based on something. All this mixed information and misdirection makes me think there is "something" someone isn't saying. This plane had enough fuel to reach Pakistan, Afghanistan, or Indonesia.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    So the search area looks like this

Unless the plane went South.

• BENGHAZI

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Unless the plane went East.

Or south.

Where's my soulstrut Aborigine posse at?

Paging DJ Sheep and them

:: breakface::

Errr... I meant to say South, East is shown.

• LaserWolf said:
    Errr... I meant to say South, East is shown.

So is South.

Maybe you meant to say Up.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    The_Non said:

Yeah, mixed reports, but US sending a ship to Indian Ocean costs money. I don't think they'd do it unless it was based on something. .

The US Military is never concerned about wasting money. Ships get sent to these types of events all the time just for the practice of search and rescue etc. They also look for any excuse to get close to other countries where they may normally not be welcome. Every one is baffled and pitching in at this point.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    -- Was it hijacked?: The plane may have been taken over or hijacked by someone with knowledge of flying planes and was being taken toward the Andaman Islands, according to a report by Reuters. The news agency bases its information on military radar data -- but the article doesn't address key facts such as which nation's military radar information they are basing their deductions on. Also, the story is based on unidentified sources.

whoa! i didnt actually think this was a possibility..

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts

28 days... 6 hours... 42 minutes... 12 seconds. That... is when the world... will end.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    This is why we need many more drones across the skies capable of tracking all planes that leave the ground. For this we can thank the shortcomings of our current system of not losing track of large airborne jet liners. As a bonus, the network of drones will provide global wifi penetration.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    An interesting and terrifying turn of events. No solid details, but I guess they're all agreeing this was deliberate. Planes scare me to begin with, but this is really scary. What is happening to those people?

Room service at the Almaty Hilton?

I still can't comprehend the motivation behind stealing full passenger jet.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Yeah, especially since there haven't been any claims or any ransom demands. I hope this miraculously turns out ok.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    I can't imagine the mental state of the those whose loved ones were in that plane. Jeez they must be going though a total mind-fuck torture with each twist. This is beyond cruel.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    I hope this miraculously turns out ok.

Yes, and that would mean a whole lot of people have been keeping a really really big secret for the past week.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    eaten by a furtive sea volcano

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    bassie said:
    Controller_7 said:
    I hope this miraculously turns out ok.

Yes, and that would mean a whole lot of people have been keeping a really really big secret for the past week.

the Malaysian government certainly has.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/16/world/asia/series-of-errors-by-malaysia-mounts-complicating-the-task-of-finding-flight-370.html?hp

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Room service at the Almaty Hilton?

I still can't comprehend the motivation behind stealing full passenger jet.

According to FOX it's to turn it into a giant terrorist missile. As usually they are all over the terror angle but have 0 interest on where the people on the plane might be.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    It could have been as simple as a suicidal pilot who wanted to take people with him....I doubt the passengers are alive and my heart goes out to their relatives who must be going through a living hell.

What amazes me is that the transponders were such that they could be turned off...why would that ever been a necessary option?

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    You gotta think people ( big power intelligence) knows where this plane is, they just aren't going public for whatever reasons. That said it would be next to impossible to keep a lid on a hostage situation of that magnitude, unless it was somewhere super remote. Also, I heard it say that the given the amount of fuel aboard, the possible search area is 6 times the area of the United States. People keep saying it's impossible to loose a plane now a days, not so. It is possible to evade radar by flying low through interference, you just have to be a top tier pilot.. Satellites will be the only way to find it and if they landed and hangered that sucker it's gone. But the motives do not add up. If your looking to build a jumbo cruise missile you'd think you'd take a cargo plane and keep a low pro, no? That is unless you're trying to scare the crap out of folk.
    Peace to all those involved, in a weird way there's still hope.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    It could have been as simple as a suicidal pilot who wanted to take people with him....I doubt the passengers are alive and my heart goes out to their relatives who must be going through a living hell.

What amazes me is that the transponders were such that they could be turned off...why would that ever been a necessary option?

Because if it malfunctions it can lead to a plane crash, among other bad results. Basically, almost every electric device on a plane is switchable for this reason. Also, when you are near an airport it can lead to a lot of confusion when there are lots of other planes around.

Pilot suicide seems unlikely, imo. Why turn off the transponders at all? Why 14 minutes apart? And most of all, why switch direction, change altitude and keep flying for 6 hours after doing so? Wouldn't you just ditch the plane?

I know this would be an irrational act and can't be judged by rational standards, but a six hour suicide ride seems hard to pull off.

The more info that comes out, the more it seems that a hijacking scenario was involved. Was the pilot complicit? Or was one of the hijackers a highly trained pilot? What was the objective? Did the pilots and and passengers eventually overpower them?

The idea that we may never know seems unbearable, infinitely more so for the families of those on board.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

There are so many questions with this. If it was pilot suicide (actually would be more of a mass homicide), why go through the trouble of disabling the transponders?

"Experts on aircraft maintenance have explained that the plane's communications system can only be disabled manually ÔÇô a process that requires switching a number of cockpit controls in sequence until a computer screen necessitates a keyboard input."

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/17/mh370-contact-missing-plane-communications-disabled

Why not just crash the plane right out the gate? Why go through all that trouble? Not to mention climbing to 45,000 ft., changing course and dropping down to what they now say is 5,000 feet to avoid radar detection?

I'm not saying someone in the crew isn't responsible for whatever has happened and I'm not ready to put on my tinfoil hat, but too many things just don't add up with this.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Or, basically what Horseleech said 0_o

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    tabira said:
    I can't imagine the mental state of the those whose loved ones were in that plane. Jeez they must be going though a total mind-fuck torture with each twist. This is beyond cruel.

Cosign. I imagine this situation would be extremely traumatic and impossible to process for loved ones. There is no closure for them until the plane and people are found.
    I am hoping for a miracle, but expecting tragic results.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Rockadelic said:

Because if it malfunctions it can lead to a plane crash, among other bad results. Basically, almost every electric device on a plane is switchable for this reason. Also, when you are near an airport it can lead to a lot of confusion when there are lots of other planes around.

Pilot suicide seems unlikely, imo. Why turn off the transponders at all? Why 14 minutes apart? And most of all, why switch direction, change altitude and keep flying for 6 hours after doing so? Wouldn't you just ditch the plane?

I know this would be an irrational act and can't be judged by rational standards, but a six hour suicide ride seems hard to pull off.

The more info that comes out, the more it seems that a hijacking scenario was involved. Was the pilot complicit? Or was one of the hijackers a highly trained pilot? What was the objective? Did the pilots and and passengers eventually overpower them?

The idea that we may never know seems unbearable, infinitely more so for the families of those on board.

That makes sense.

Here is an article that came out 8 hours after my post.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_MALAYSIA_PLANE_SUICIDE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-03-17-00-50-29

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:
    Rockadelic said:

That makes sense.

Here is an article that came out 8 hours after my post.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_MALAYSIA_PLANE_SUICIDE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-03-17-00-50-29

I'm actually becoming more inclined towards the suicide theory after reading more about it this morning.

Why climb to 45,000 ft? Apparently that could knock out or even kill the passengers due to lack of oxygen.

Why turn off the transponders and change course? It may be that the pilot (or copilot) didn't want the wreckage to be found. One reason for this could be insurance related.

Why keep flying for 6 hours? To make it that much harder to find the wreckage and to ditch the plane in the deepest part of the Indian Ocean.

It's one thing to commit suicide, but quite another to take 230 lives (and shatter thousands of others). It's hard to fathom the thinking of anybody who would do this.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Is this thread about the plane that hit the pentagon?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    the thought i keep getting is some super villain plot with an image of some remote Dr.No. hopefully some capable james bonds are on the case and not on team cover-up.