Where's the MFIng plane, godammit?

1235»

Comments

• some group called 'ReThink' took out a ton of 9/11 truther ads on Toronto subways THIS WEEK. a dozen years later. clearly the answers given and the explanations for what occurred right in front of everyone's face didn't satisfy people's curiosity, so why do we assume we'll be getting straight talk for something that occurred in an informational vacuum?

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:
    LoopDreams said:
    Thanks that was a good read, seriously. But the 0 communication thing still bugs me. You've got smoke in the cabin, you try to extinguish the cause by flying to 45 000 ft, at which point you stall and plunge to 5000 ft and you still don't send out an SOS? One would have to conclude that the fire systematically tooks out all possible means of communications and location tracking devices and yet still left computer navigation equipment and flight control and engines functional? I don't know, it sounds just as far fetched as anything else at this point.

You could send out a billion SOS's.

No one could help, since sons of Krypton don't actually exist.

That's why "communicate" is last on the list.

I'm certainly not claiming that this piece is definitive, but of all the scenarios I've seen it seems the most plausible. And not "far fetched" in any way.

Dude, I don't know if you've ever sat in a cockpit , but I have many many times. My father has his private license and my sister has her commercial. Communication with the ground is one of the easiest, ,most essential , most routine aspects of being in the air.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Respect due, but expecting people not to talk about the most important event of the past 20 years is an extremely tall order.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Respect due, but expecting people not to talk about the most important event of the past 20 years is an extremely tall order.

^^

And I don't see how it's disrespectful in the slightest.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    cove said:
    HarveyCanal said:

^^

And I don't see how it's disrespectful in the slightest.

It's disrespectful because you have been respectfully asked.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    man.... y'all do you.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    JectWon said:
    gareth said:
    Slate has had the best coverage of this, just go there as your #1 source. Today they thoroughly discredited the Wired theory, and have had an entire article on why cell phones wouldn't work.

They bring up some good points. Seems like that last blip of location information goes against the Wired explanation.

The author of the wired article has posted on G+ a proclamation that he feels the search will come to an end in the next 24 hours (as of 9:50PM last night):

Somehow I believe this is coming to an end. The reported sighting over the Maldives coincides with the time line well. The aircraft is probably a small distance west of Maldives. I believe it will be found in next 24 hours hopefully. Finally searching in the right place on that extended line which goes over the Maldives I suggested in the first post.

I have purposely declined all media interviews with all major networks CNN FOX CBS ABC NBC MSNBC ESPN. I do not wish to join the talking heads on 24 hour news channels. I wrote the original post because I felt the speculation was running amok. I have done two radio interviews with BBC in London because I respect the way they have handled it. We discussed primarily why this had become such a huge social media story to begin with.

Who knows if he's right.

Dude who yesterday knew the airstrip it landed on today knows where it went down?
    I wonder why he feels speculation is running amok?

Might wanna rtfa....he thinks that is where the pilot attempted to head. He isn't saying they landed there....your skepticism of the dude's opinion makes a whole lot more sense now that it is apparent that you either didn't read it or couldn't understand it.

Seriously folks...can we at least read the things we get such bold opinions on?...It wasn't even long.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

serious question though: assuming in a fantasy scenario that the people in a cockpit are unable to communicate for whatever reason, and cell phones aren't working: is there any type of communication device available to the cabin crew or passengers on an airplane? I mean outside of the cockpit? do the stewardesses have access to any type of radio or distress signal sender type thingy? Or is all communication equipment contained in the cockpit?

anyone??

please to school me.

I have to think there's a radio somewhere outside of the cockpit on an airplane.

just seems kinda like, I dunno, a cool thing to have.

LaserWolf said:
    I appreciate that people are trying to create logical stories based on the little they know.
    I even appreciate that people latch onto the stories as somehow true.
    There are many stories you can create using logic and the info you have.
    It is called speculation run amok.

Gareth, Thanks for recommending Slate as a source.

Bro...talmbout 'speculation run amok' THEN thank a dude for posting the Slate articles....

The top most recent Slate article is literally titled:

The Craziest Malaysia Flight 370 Theory Yet: The Missing Jet Used Another Jet to Hide

Seriously, dude? Please to read the shit you are commending and/or criticizing.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. The top article is about the missing flight simulator files. The article you reference is from 2 days ago and there are 8 stories above it. In the article an expert calls it totally crazy and explains why. I found it interesting because the original story it discredits was posted here a few days ago as a likely scenario.

LaserWolf said:
    I'm not sure what you are talking about. The top article is about the missing flight simulator files. The article you reference is from 2 days ago and there are 8 stories above it. In the article an expert calls it totally crazy and explains why. I found it interesting because the original story it discredits was posted here a few days ago as a likely scenario.

Eh, he leaves himself room to say "I didn't say I believe this shit" if need be but then writes at length about how it could be possible according to some flight enthusiast and ends the article saying "it's interesting to think about'.

In my opinion that is waaaaaaaay more 'speculation running amok' than a dude on G+ saying "I think it crashed trying to get to the nearest airport after some catastrophic event".

My bad on 'top article at Slate claim...It's the top article that when you google 'slate, Malaysia flight'.

At any rate, it seems that we are kinda in the same boat...the wild speculation is dumb (perhaps fun for some) until there are legit reasons to go into those theories...I think you might have misinterpreted the G+/Wired article in that it seems that you thought the author claims it landed in that air strip...which he is not claiming...

Right, I overstated saying he says it landed there.
    But his whole thing was so obviously bunk, creating a long chain of events, fire, fuses, communication failure and on and on. The rest of the article is filled with "us old pilots know" and other Boys Life adventure descriptions. All culminating in it never left Malaysian air space.

It is easy to debunk something that starts with shadowy conspiracies. But if you read critically it is just as easy to debunk supposedly logical articles from experts. Including those experts who are spouting their theories on CNN and Fox.

At the end of the day, if we ever find out what happened, one of these crazy theories may be right.

I hope we find out soon.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    JATX said:
    There's a fire on the plane and none of the passengers used their cell phones to call loved ones? Not trying to stoke the conspriracy here, but that strikes me as odd. Maybe I missed that part?

Maybe they didn't know about it.

• Did they ever mention at what point the airplane ascended to 45K feet then descended to 15k(?)? Once it did reach that height, oxygen masks fall. That should have alerted everyone something was wrong. Upon realization that things were not right, could passengers/crew break into the cockpit?

Random thought: Do they breathalize each pilot before boarding?

It is very unlikely that the plane did the maneuvers that have been reported. The reports have been discounted.

Your question is filled with assumptions, such as terrorism.

I doubt pilots are every regularly or randomly asked to do breathalyzers. But I don't know what Malaysia Airlines rules are.

• Isn't everyone assuming things on this thread? This ain't court. It's just crazy to think about.
    Thanks for the reply tho, Lase!

Also, Wtf was the crew doing this whole time? Stewards had to have been trying to contact the pilots after 7 hours of flight. "Time for you dinner sir......Open the goddamn door you asshole!"

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Top NBC website news article right now -

"Could Malaysian Jet's Computer System Have Been Hacked?"

click on article

"ALMOST CERTAINLY NOT"

:eyeroll:

• LoopDreams said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    LoopDreams said:
    Thanks that was a good read, seriously. But the 0 communication thing still bugs me. You've got smoke in the cabin, you try to extinguish the cause by flying to 45 000 ft, at which point you stall and plunge to 5000 ft and you still don't send out an SOS? One would have to conclude that the fire systematically tooks out all possible means of communications and location tracking devices and yet still left computer navigation equipment and flight control and engines functional? I don't know, it sounds just as far fetched as anything else at this point.

I'm certainly not claiming that this piece is definitive, but of all the scenarios I've seen it seems the most plausible. And not "far fetched" in any way.

Dude, I don't know if you've ever sat in a cockpit , but I have many many times. My father has his private license and my sister has her commercial. Communication with the ground is one of the easiest, ,most essential , most routine aspects of being in the air.

I have done that on multiple occasions.

I still don't see how "communication with the ground" would be a priority if the crew was dealing with an immediate emergency on the plane and was a long way away from a landing strip.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:
    LoopDreams said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    LoopDreams said:

I have done that on multiple occasions.

I still don't see how "communication with the ground" would be a priority if the crew was dealing with an immediate emergency on the plane and was a long way away from a landing strip.

Part of the reason you have 2 pilots. One of them should be able to yell "mayday" at least once over the radio. It's hard to believe that things went so wrong so fast they couldn't communicate but could still fly and didn't make it back to land. Hell they could have lowered altitude and got a cell phone signal if they had to. Communication with the ground is a priority when you are flying a pressurized vessel thorough the air. If your going down you want people to have an idea where you are and hopefully rescue you!

It seems like most of the reports are questionable but basically it's terrorism and went down in the ocean or a major unheard of set of malfunctions and it went down in the ocean. If it was actually hijacked and landed then WWIII is here and who cares anymore. At this point I just want the families to have an answer if nothing else. CNN is just comical asking questions like could terrorist be lying in the mechanical space underneath the cockpit cutting wires with out the pilots knowing.

I agree the families need an answer.
    I think you just proved there was no malfunction.

• LaserWolf said:
    I think you just proved there was no malfunction.

Um.

No.

And, also, congrats on breaking your own World Indoor Stupidity record.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Looks like all the stuff in the Southern Indian Ocean is plane debris. So now it's either massive catastrophe that depressurized the whole plane and it just auto piloted until it ran out of fuel or an intentional terrorist/suicide crashing of the plane. Sad either way but at least the families can move forward without lost hope.