True Detective

Comments

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    the monster we all want to be CTHULHU is just going to be the creepy guy that was mowing the schools lawn the first time they went there. he had a scraggly beard and scars on his face.

• motown67 said:
    I'm less for blaming Tuttle as the mastermind behind this whole thing then I was before. He's too obvious now after the last episode. I would think that there was some cult operating within his schools and he just tried to cover it up rather then being a member.

As for what was shown in the video in the preview for next season i don't think it has to do anything with his own kids. After his reaction to finding the two kids at Ledoux's that led to his offing and his beating of the two boys found with his daughter ANY scene involving children would get a strong reaction.

True. He reacts to that kind of stuff, but...

Rust wouldn't necessarily say he "needs" Marty to see it unless it was his kid. Also, his daughter drew those pictures when she was a kid and it was never explained what inspired them.

• how about Rust's girlfriend? she was a potentially normal woman who only got like 1 scene.

• motown67 said:
    I'm less for blaming Tuttle as the mastermind behind this whole thing then I was before. He's too obvious now after the last episode.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I don't know, I feel like Rust has a piece to play in these murders - at least having previous contact with the group of people doing them. The fact that the first murder (Dora Lange, I believe) took place on his daughter's birthday might mean that the murderers are sending a message to Cohle.

We don't know much about Cohle's life before his current job, just that he worked undercover and had a history with drug use. This gap in the audience's knowledge conveniently leaves room for surprises in the plot in the final two episodes.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I mean, who hasn't been propositioned by a T-Mobile employee to f*ck them in the ass.

;blap: :raw: :talib:

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    I feel like one of the two will die in the final episode. Not sure who but I'm leaning towards Marty. Possibly he'll die saving Rust's life and there will be some kind of meaningful exchange between the two before he expires.

*This is based on absolutely no evidence and now I've typed it probably won't happen.

• Who eats pasta like that!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Who eats pasta like that!

I heard this was the working title during scripting.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Controller_7 said:
    Who eats pasta like that!

I heard this was the working title during scripting.

Truth be told, the sketch artist drew this guy up as more of a Fettuccine Monster.

• http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/true-detective/

Creative Director PATRICK CLAIR details the creation of the title sequence for us.

PC: The project was produced by the wonderful and talented Jennifer Sofio Hall at Elastic and directed by myself through our studio Antibody. The team at Antibody in Sydney, led by Senior Designer Raoul Marks and with compositing and animation support from the good folk at Breeder, based in Brisbane, completed the design and animation phase. It was a truly transnational production.

When we were initially briefed, Nic Pizzolatta, the showrunner, and Cary Fukunaga, the director, spoke a lot about how the landscape and setting of the show revealed the characters and reflected their internal struggles. The show is set in Louisiana in the ÔÇÖ90s, with a strong presence of the petrochemical infrastructure and the pollution of the physical landscape. We read scripts for the first three episodes before even considering the visual execution. Story is always the most fundamental part of our design process, so it was great getting a good understanding of the writing before we began to explore visual ideas.

Visually, we were inspired by photographic double exposures. Fragmented portraits, created by using human figures as windows into partial landscapes, served as a great way to show characters that are marginalised or internally divided. It made sense for the titles to feature portraits of the lead characters built out the place they lived. This became a graphic way of doing what the show does in the drama: reveal character through location.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    white_tea said:
    I think Harvey's right you guys. People talking about the show in the True Detective thread? Needs to stop!

Anyone with any theories on the quantity on tampons that Det Hart was buying?

Clearly he's a huge fan of The King of New York

ROOM SERVICE, MOTHERFUCKERS!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I dunno if it was deliberate humor on the part of MM, but it was amusing to me how MM let a little Wooderson flashback/slipout occur in terms of vocal tone and gestures in speaking on how Cohle dealt with Cohle 's flashbacks...."Ya juust gotta roll with it"

• No one noticed this already? Five hooded men on horseback, I wonder what it means...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Those were scars on the guy's face right??

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Haha. Yeah. I think lawnmower man is involved for sure, but there's obviously more to it. The preview for next week still has me confused. So much more to come.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    "Don't look at me I ain't never been able to control him."

b/w

THAT EYE TWITCH.

• REMUS likes mowing lawns.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Haha. Yeah. I think lawnmower man is involved for sure, but there's obviously more to it. The preview for next week still has me confused. So much more to come.

I was confused about lawnmower man - I wouldn't be surprised if he was just a dim-witted family member who could have provided valuable info to either set of detectives, had they spent some more time questioning him.

• what bothers me is that cohle was DEFINITELY close enough to see the facial scarring through the beard when he was talking to him out front of the school. surely a detective doesn't miss the distinguishing feature of even a peripherally involved source of information

vintageinfants said:
    what bothers me is that cohle was DEFINITELY close enough to see the facial scarring through the beard when he was talking to him out front of the school. surely a detective doesn't miss the distinguishing feature of even a peripherally involved source of information

Bugged me too. For someone who picks up on a lot of little details, that one was right in his face. Didn't they already have a tip off about scarring at that point?

But, that dude isn't tall. Is he?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    At that time they thought the scared man was Ledoux

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    I thought it was kind of trashy how they made Lawnmower-guy's voice all in-bred and weird this episode. When you go back to episode three his voice was completely normal.

Also, agreed, Rust should have clocked the scars the first time around.

Still... Looking fwd to the final episode

Yeah, he kind of turned slingblade. I actually wondered if it was the same dude. Voice was different and all of a sudden they made the scars more pronounced.

And...

If your face is scarred like that you don't grow facial hair. He wouldn't have had a cover up beard convincing enough to fool Rust.

Edit: looking at a screenshot, it's a choppy beard, but how would a detective not remember a mangled face like that?

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    Da Vinylmentalist said:
    No one noticed this already? Five hooded men on horseback, I wonder what it means...

which episode is this from? completely missed it

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    double post

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    I think it was in the house of the pitcher uncle, episode 2?

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts

• I read an interesting article (Daily Beast) last night that linked this past 2005 sex abuse case to the show's storyline. Maybe you all already know but it was news to me. I can't wait for the last episode.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/25/national/25church.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0