True Detective

Comments

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Errr, anybody heard that Matt Mac said he won't be back for the second series? What's even the point any more..

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    toby.d said:
    Errr, anybody heard that Matt Mac said he won't be back for the second series? What's even the point any more..

I thought that was already established? I thought every season was gonna be a completely different story/cast?

But yeah, big shoes to fill.

• toby.d said:
    What's even the point any more..

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Herm said:

I thought that was already established? I thought every season was gonna be a completely different story/cast?

But yeah, big shoes to fill.

You're right. I've only caught up with the whole thing over the last couple of days and just heard about that today. Dunno how they'll wrap everything up and yeah, BIG shoes.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    His Oscar speech [Best Actor in a Leading Role] was kind of braggadocio. Egos in Hollywood. Who would have guessed?

He's a good actor, because I like him less as Matty Mac.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    hobo_d said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:
    No one noticed this already? Five hooded men on horseback, I wonder what it means...

which episode is this from? completely missed it

episode 2 - at Dora Lange's mother's house

The stream I was watching was garbage - what church were the two cops looking for at the end?

bassie said:
    hobo_d said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:
    No one noticed this already? I wonder what it means...

which episode is this from? completely missed it

episode 2 - at Dora Lange's mother's house

The stream I was watching was garbage - what church were the two cops looking for at the end?

Srs doe, if you got into a Banana Splits outfit, and then tried to get on a horse, would it freak the horse out real bad?

I ask because I haven't got a horse.

Or a Banana Splits outfit.

I guess horses are OK with ape outfits. Urko and dem. But like, trunks and shit might evoke some primal memory of pachyderm-on-equine sexcrime.

There must be an expert on this very matter here on The Strut, no?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    bassie said:

what church were the two cops looking for at the end?

thought they were looking for the church that bongo and woody found freeman from the wire in one of the early eps?

Thanks!
    I thought I heard "black church", but didn't think it was the same one as in 1995.

I am half thinking the lawnmower man in '95 was a different guy. As said above, the demeanour and speech is different and yea! Hair doesn't grow out of severe scars. I guess it's shaping up to be Tuttle, his sons and some other big people.

I doubt very much they will tie everything up, but it will bug me if the link to Hart's daughters is not answered - you can't throw in a Barbie and Ken model of what we saw on the video tape and just leave it hanging.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    bassie said:
    Thanks!
    I thought I heard "black church", but didn't think it was the same one as in 1995.

I am half thinking the lawnmower man in '95 was a different guy. As said above, the demeanour and speech is different and yea! Hair doesn't grow out of severe scars. I guess it's shaping up to be Tuttle, his sons and some other big people.

I doubt very much they will tie everything up, but it will bug me if the link to Hart's daughters is not answered - you can't throw in a Barbie and Ken model of what we saw on the video tape and just leave it hanging.

pretty sure it's the same guy... and he revealed that the "black church" burned down several years ago, right?

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

I guess horses are OK with ape outfits. Urko and dem. But like, trunks and shit might evoke some primal memory of pachyderm-on-equine sexcrime.

Horses are pachyderms technically

;)

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    I don't think lawn mower man is the giant everyone's been talking about. It could be his brother or something so maybe their grandfather cut him too but not as bad as the King. Just seems too strange for everyone to be going on about this deformed giant and then it turns out to be little ol' lawn guy.

jdeez said:
    bassie said:
    Thanks!

pretty sure it's the same guy... and he revealed that the "black church" burned down several years ago, right?

oh yea, I can see that now, you're right.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    6 amazing hours of amazing, creepy subtlety...then an hour of kindergarten step-by-step exposition.

speakmumbles said:
    REMUS likes mowing lawns.

haha.

toby.d said:

can someone break this down? which eps?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Is this how people watch teevee now?

My attention span isn't there for the 7-year-long stories. Mega episodic, it just doesn't vibe. When circumstances conspired to knock me a few weeks behind during season four of Mad Men, I was so relieved to be able to just call it.

I can handle a cliffhanger here and there, and some loose story through-lines, but godDAMN do I really have to watch every millisecond like a hawk what the fuck

Got free HBO for a year and fired up this show, due to this crazy hyperbole I was hearing about the McConaissance. WHAT HE'S DOING HAS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE OR SINCE. First few episodes were nice and slow burn, I was into it. I dipped into this thread a couple weeks ago and got scared: you guys are some seriously active viewers! Different teevee vibe than I'm into, but damn it's cool.

I like knowing there are only eight episodes. I like the idea of "it's written, it's cast, we filmed it, we're out." That's my style. I remember reading about the Lost writers, lurking on messageboards for ideas/directions/reception. I don't want to get drawn into that.

But yeah: this show is good. I agree with some of you in here, and the Emily Nussbaum piece in The New Yorker: it's just a cop show. They're n2deep, creepy crawlazoid church gone wrong, who's good who's bad who's lying. But it's better than if it didn't exist. Right? I dunno.

Fuckin McConaissance is for real though! The guy is hilarious. He may be hemol.

JK Livin yall

srslytho I like to turn teevee on for an hour and watch the shit and then turn it off. This is the first YOU GOTTA BE WATCHING THIS show that I've been able to join in on, and it's exhausting. Can't see how I'll ever watch Wire or Breaking Bad.

That episode 4 under-undercover drugged-out freakout mega shot whatever biz: that whole episode made me jittery. For a couple days. You guys enjoy this?

rootlesscosmo said:
    toby.d said:

can someone break this down? which eps?

1 - Show crew instagram - image didn't appear this clear or close-up in the show
    2 - Episode 2 - see my previous post
    Image is explained by Cohle in Episode 7

3 - Episode 2 - Hart's daughters' dolls
    See my previous past

4 - self explanatory
    Meaning - who knows?!

5 - Episode 7 - self explanatory

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    You guys enjoy this?

clearly not.

i'm sorry for your loss re: wire and BB.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    While this will give Sir Duke no peace, a Facebook friend created a nice fan site for the show:

http://www.wekeeptheotherbadmenfromthedoor.com/#intro

Someone told me the finale was going to be 120 minutes and then corrected to say that it will only be 60 minutes. Maybe they can pack all the needful into that time period, long as Det. Hart doesn't need to upgrade his headset, so to speak.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Word. I appreciate the richness of the new model, I guess, but have a hard time stomaching the distilled preciousness of it. I like the long game.

Homicide > The Wire

james said:

Homicide > The Wire

haha. cute. but no.

dukeofdelridge said:

"Now" being before or after Twin Peaks?

bassie said:
    dukeofdelridge said:

"Now" being before or after Twin Peaks?

this is probably true.

I couldn't get with Twin Peaks until about five years ago. Unheard-of, being of the correct age and location for the highest of Twin Peaks-izm. The only opening music that could get me off the couch and changing the channel faster than Badalamenti's spookytime was the fucking MASH guitars (my dad's "hmm, Korea looks a lot like southern California" intro didn't help).

I ended up loving Twin Peaks. I can't believe I didn't like the music--the music is great. Maybe I'll have a change of heart over MASH, but I doubt it.

Twin Peaks is honestly kind of a mess, too. They fucked it all up on season two, right? Some horrible acting. That whole James-meets-cougar arc? That Mr. Tojamura beard? I drove by the Mar-T diner a couple weeks ago, they're still selling bad coffee and pie to tourists LOL

but yeah. I am a shitty teevee watcher. I'll admit it.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Twin Peaks was a mess to me although I don't think I ever actually finished (or maybe even started) the second series. You need to give viewers some kind of reward at the end of a series, the end of Twin Peaks 1 has literally no closure to anything that's happened and I'm a bit worried True Detectives may leave more unsaid than I'm cool with. As for overanalysing things, the net has probably made this more obvious but I bet people were doing it ten years ago or more. The weirdest part is the writer seemingly expressing surprise at the attention and geeking his show's getting. You make a detective programme this good with so many clues and leads in it and then ask people to take it as it is (character study) and stop analysing? Teh fnck?

• rootlesscosmo said:
    james said:

Homicide > The Wire

haha. cute. but no.

true invective

toby.d said:
    Twin Peaks was a mess to me although I don't think I ever actually finished (or maybe even started) the second series. You need to give viewers some kind of reward at the end of a series, the end of Twin Peaks 1 has literally no closure to anything that's happened and I'm a bit worried True Detectives may leave more unsaid than I'm cool with. As for overanalysing things, the net has probably made this more obvious but I bet people were doing it ten years ago or more. The weirdest part is the writer seemingly expressing surprise at the attention and geeking his show's getting. You make a detective programme this good with so many clues and leads in it and then ask people to take it as it is (character study) and stop analysing? Teh fnck?

yeah, for sure people have been geeking on teevee forever. I guess I just wish I were geeking about something more FUN than antlerized dead teen hookers.

I know people lost their shit at The Prisoner's ending way back when. Is cool. I just struggle with finishing a single thought, so I can't do anything but marvel at someone making a whole teevee show. Even half a teevee show.

Fuck.

Not really comparing True Detective and Twin Peaks as far as content, etc.
    Twin Peaks is the first show I remember talking and talking about with people - dissecting, analyzing, reading on, re-watching for clues and straight geeking over.

dukeofdelridge said:
    The Prisoner's ending

:dodododo: :hated_it: :talib:

No explanation offered. The manifestation of broken promises, the soundtrack being the bottom of a barrel being scraped. If my teenage self had owned the telly I watched it on, my Chinese takeaway would still be stuck to the screen.

Twin Peaks was more interesting with the Black Lodge, but just too esoteric given what had gone before.

Must torrent the latest True D now...