True Detective

Comments

• right yeah. kinda rules out Marty for me.

• Yeah, I saw that article on Marty/Hart, etc. It was the first time I started to entertain him for this, but still- I feel like it would be a bit of a betrayal for a show that has let us in to these two characters. I mean, Marty doufusing for most of his adulthood into this would feel like a cheap reveal in episode 7 or 8.

From the first time we saw the lawnmower man, I turned to my wife and said, "this is not the last time we see this dude."

• the imdb page has some good info for how the plot might progress. don't wanna spoil it.

• mcconaughey BEEN staying in the zone

enjoyed this.

• Mud, Paperboy and Killer Joe were all good performances. Wolf of Wall Street, too. Haven't seen Dallas Buyers Club.

• best episode yet.

the final shot (of the tail light that we had just see busted several years earlier in the parking lot fight, still broken after all these years) was awesome.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    best episode yet.

the final shot (of the tail light that we had just see busted several years earlier in the parking lot fight) was awesome.

Disagree on the Best Episode by a wide margin. Domestic drama nonsense.

It was a good, but a far cry from the best. Marty stays being a dick...

• So does Marty see footage of his kid as a little kid or as a teen? Rust tells him he has to see something and then he is very upset.

I guess they reteam and solve it once and for all.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    gareth said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    best episode yet.

the final shot (of the tail light that we had just see busted several years earlier in the parking lot fight) was awesome.

Disagree on the Best Episode by a wide margin. Domestic drama nonsense.

It was a good, but a far cry from the best. Marty stays being a dick...

I would concur about not being the best episode - but still damn good in my book. Although it would appear that this episode sets up how the series will end (both working together again, solving case), I am kinda hoping for another red herring, just to keep it fun.

also - is it established that the "Tall" man with scars has not yet been identified? Ricky Leboux didn't seem to have them, and the lawnmower man doesn't appear to have any noticeable scars either.

Really curious to find out who that will be.

• Still on board, but I was disappointed with how they painted Rust as some kind of victim of Maggie's advances, like he had no responsibility or agency in that situation.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    It's amazing Marty is a detective at all, considering how badly he covered his tracks with that post-coital load of laundry.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Chuck_Huss said:
    Still on board, but I was disappointed with how they painted Rust as some kind of victim of Maggie's advances, like he had no responsibility or agency in that situation.

yup!

• white_tea said:
    It's amazing Marty is a detective at all, considering how badly he covered his tracks with that post-coital load of laundry.

and the photos left on the phone....and the phone left on the dresser whilst showering.

adulterer rookie movies.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    Mud, Paperboy and Killer Joe were all good performances. Wolf of Wall Street, too. Haven't seen Dallas Buyers Club.

I stopped watching Wolf of Wall Street after that drawn out restaurant scene with MM. I thought that movie was terrible and so heavy handed. Marty seems way out of touch. I thought it made Oliver Stone's Wall Street seem like The Piano.

• edith head said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Mud, Paperboy and Killer Joe were all good performances. Wolf of Wall Street, too. Haven't seen Dallas Buyers Club.

I stopped watching Wolf of Wall Street after that drawn out restaurant scene with MM. I thought that movie was terrible and so heavy handed. Marty seems way out of touch. I thought it made Oliver Stone's Wall Street seem like The Piano.

the movie sucked; I totally agree. you saw the best part.

• I think this episode is getting a bad rap. Some great lines. And the last scene/shot alone was worth the price of admission.

???Without me there is no you."

???If you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself.???

???Actually, you should buy me a beer.???

• The Maggy and Rust thing was kind of weak, like she couldn't leave Marty unless she slept with someone. Maybe it was just the nail in the coffin she needed, but it was fairly weak, especially since she was using a man that she for the most part had respect for. But maybe she didn't. I guess he told her to fuck off before.

For such a short show, it's been dense and the characters have changed quite a bit. I've been up and down on things, but I can't really hate in general. It's weird to think that it's only 6 eps in.

• I trip out on actresses who get scenes where they say "I want you to eff me in the a." I wonder whether or not they're like "Mom, Dad, Grandma! Make sure to watch me on HBO tonight!"

(I used to think the same about the girl who sings on "Put It In Your Mouth.")

• Controller_7 said:
    The Maggy and Rust thing was kind of weak, like she couldn't leave Marty unless she slept with someone. Maybe it was just the nail in the coffin she needed, but it was fairly weak, especially since she was using a man that she for the most part had respect for. But maybe she didn't. I guess he told her to fuck off before.

Weak yes, but I've known this to happen in real life A LOT.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    cove said:
    Chuck_Huss said:
    Still on board, but I was disappointed with how they painted Rust as some kind of victim of Maggie's advances, like he had no responsibility or agency in that situation.

yup!

At first I leaned towards this view myself, but (a) he was boozing, (b) she's attractive, (c) he seemed to connect with her while having scorn for Marty, and (d) what Herm said. Ultimately, Rust isn't perfect, and I found the scene plausible, even if I thought Rust should've acted differently.

As for the last shot, I liked it. But at the same time, I'm also thinking, they're about to cut to black any second and leave me wondering for a week. So I was also a little annoyed. Haha.

• episode 6 might have been the least productive in terms of plot line development, but might have been the MOST productive in terms of character development ..... which is scary considering the fact that everything pizzolato has alluded to is that we are not going to GET a conclusion to this and that we are doomed by even participating in it..... kind of like cohle himself.

it comes off as very heavy-handed, but it must have been a very conscious choice to so strongly re-iterate what the primary flaws of our main characters so close what should be the end of act two. hart is a serial philanderer who thinks of himself first and jeopardizes his family life for hedonistic delight. he also has been navigating through his professional career off the back of better police work [rust] and has slowly lost the perspective that he is only where he is by the grace of another man's victories, albeit a man he welcomed into the fold.

now cohle, cohle is gone. the broken tail light was a visual that he was now mentally left the third dimension and exists as an outsider; what is the purpose of repairing a tail light when time itself is flat and meaningless? 10 years have passed and nothing has changed. if his separation from human life wasn't clear enough, by suggesting that guilty mother kill herself he is showing that is now completely devoid of human empathy.

by his choice, he exists on the outside, looking in. and now it is the choice of the writer to tell us if it's a tragedy or not, and that's a terrifying amount of power to have.

• these are very real, and flawed human beings, and he [pizzolato] is going a long way out of his way to drive that point home, possibly at the expense of proper closure.

ALSO:

can we talk about how the stoner from dazed and confused is maybe the best actor in the world right now? and how the bartender from cheers isn't getting left too far behind?

• vintageinfants said:

can we talk about how the stoner from dazed and confused is maybe the best actor in the world right now? and how the bartender from cheers isn't getting left too far behind?

SHIT YEAH.

Harrelson is seriously huge in this; McCounaughey has the more bravura role, but this whole show is great because it's a fucking heavyweight fight.

• let's not forget his rom-com phase and his crusading Southern lawyer phase.

those seem as distant from his current incarnation as Dazed and Confused did.

• He killed on Diners Drive ins and Dives.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The amount of blah-blah this show has already caused, I swear.

• HarveyCanal said:

If you don't watch, the door is that way.

If you do, share your thoughts.

• HarveyCanal said:

really tho?

compared to all the other utter shit on TV?

sure, me and my friends and the Strut are talking about it.

but it's barely a murmer amidst the din of Jimmy Fallon, American Idol and other network schlock related interweb chatter.

google bubbles.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Here, on facebook, on twitter, and in this long lost thing they used to call real life...I can't manage to avoid people consumed by talking about this shit. Of course, I'm extra annoyed because it just replaces all the Breaking Bad chatter and The Wire chatter before that. I don't know. I sometimes watch and enjoy too. I just never feel the need to discuss afterwards. But apparently that's just me, so plaese to carry on...as I send silent cease-and-desist rays your way.

• Just don't click on the thread.