Soul Strut 100: # 1 - Stark Reality - Discovers Hoagy Carmichael's Music Shop

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Uh, Beatminerz.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Top 25 45s?

We're throwing these ideas around, but is RAJ ready to do all the compiling, etc. work again...or anyone else on the Board?

• to anyone who is denying this being number one on the list:

who else showed up to post on this website, about themself?

[word to thes]

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I'm only sort of a record guy. I come to the strut because it's the last place that feels like the turn of the century internet. This record, and the strut-story surrounding it, is perfect though. The record is weird and cool enough to be worth talking about, I give a rip to all new parents in my circle. It's a cool kids' record, it's just cool.
    And then dude came here. And he was cool.
    And there's the Wil.I.Am drum moves.
    The whole thing is totally neato, and the record is number one.
    Come on.

• HarveyCanal said:
    bassie said:

Perhaps a Rap 100 is in order.

YES!

Oh man this would be sick.
    I hope it happens.

Edit-OK, I guess 100 is a bit much.
    Hell, 25 then.
    I also like the best cover versions idea.

Perpendicular to the mongrel nature?? lol.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Happy that Stark made #1, it is the record I think of when I think of Soul Strut.

I proposed a top 100 12" singles list before, I think that would yield an interesting list spread across many genres, and as many of us are DJ's 12" singles are right in our wheelhouse. I agree that a top 100 rap (or any other single genre) list would be a total shitstorm.

• Just out of curiosity, did interest in this album spark an interest in the Hoagy Carmichael rekkid?
    Anyone got that one?

• whatwhat said:
    Just out of curiosity, did interest in this album spark an interest in the Hoagy Carmichael rekkid?
    Anyone got that one?

What record are you talking about?

• The one that`s mentioned in the intro to this thread "1958 children's album by songwriter Hoagy Carmichael, to be used for the show Hoagy Carmichael's Music Shop which aired on PBS".

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Don't think I have ever seen that. I am an HC fan. I can only remember seeing lps that are reissues of 78s. His songwriting is better than his singing.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    bassie said:

Rap 100 LP vs Rap 100 12"

• billbradley said:
    bassie said:

Rap 100 LP vs Rap 100 12"

just a general top 100? or with regards to it's strut relevance?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The more I think about it, the more I realize how right James is - it would be a nightmare.
    LPs only - so no digital releases? How about mixtapes and street albums? One would need Excel spreadsheet technology from 2020 to organize a mixed list of rap full lengths, street albums, 12s, mixtapes and EPs.

I would humbly suggest either a Top 25 soul/funk 45s or Top 50 Rap Full Lengths that would include street albums.

• this album is truly number one

• milliondollars said:
    this album is truly number one

yep. It sums up all that is good about the strut.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    for any strutters that havent held this holy grail in their own hands, heres whats inside the gatefold....

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    This latest box thing is gonna have to do for me. It's great!

• Friggin' #32 it gets...freakin' bullshit dude...

Where is the picture of Raj finding this for 2.50 at a Philly flea market?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    still my all-time holy grail and such a great record. i'll always cherish my signed monty stark promo photo.

• How come there's no Fela Kuti in the Soul Strut 100?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    cause not enough people voted for it

sheesh. its not like a judgment on all things musical, its just a list that got put together to pass the time
    stark reality is fine at #1

saw one on the wall last week at Stranded in Oakland for $900

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Da Vinylmentalist said:
    How come there's no Fela Kuti in the Soul Strut 100?

I dont think there even was a Fela album on the list.

Darando > Fela in 2005-2010.......

• batmon said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:

So why wasn't there a Fela on the list, he's not worthy of it?

He also died about 20 years ago so I don't know what you mean by 2005-2010. The man used to be famous before Rich Medina started playing his records you know...

Because you were not here to guide us to the real when the list was at it's genesis.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Da Vinylmentalist said:
    batmon said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:

He also died about 20 years ago so I don't know what you mean by 2005-2010. The man used to be famous before Rich Medina started playing his records you know...

aint no hatt here......

Fela is most def worthy, but since ive been here i dont really recall the fetishization of a specific album amongst the dudes in 05 thru 10.
    Afrobeat and African rekkids did get a hot spurt of heat for a minute, but one of its masters wasnt overhyped or spawned some Indiana Jones diggin story that dudes gravitated to like flies to doo-doo.
    Logically u would think he'd be at least an option, but the list is more about what rekkids generated a gang of memorable threads vs. real ass heat.
    Shit for a long minute Fela was the new Bob Marley/Lee Perry but the ubiquity might have caused the radar to go black when the choices were being made.

• batmon said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:
    batmon said:
    Da Vinylmentalist said:

aint no hatt here......

Fela is most def worthy, but since ive been here i dont really recall the fetishization of a specific album amongst the dudes in 05 thru 10.
    Afrobeat and African rekkids did get a hot spurt of heat for a minute, but one of its masters wasnt overhyped or spawned some Indiana Jones diggin story that dudes gravitated to like flies to doo-doo.
    Logically u would think he'd be at least an option, but the list is more about what rekkids generated a gang of memorable threads vs. real ass heat.
    Shit for a long minute Fela was the new Bob Marley/Lee Perry but the ubiquity might have caused the radar to go black when the choices were being made.

Ok I see man. Thanks for the explanation.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Another thing is that among the Fela fans I know, there seems to be no mid-range. It's all either a) dudes that have been listening to him for decades and consider his catalog some stone-tablet level shit, or b) dudes who caught him during that big internet-based wave of popularity back in the 00s, bought or downloaded every Fela thing they could get their hands on, glutted themselves for however many weeks or months, and now don't listen to him anymore because they've burned out on him and/or have moved past him into more obscure/rarified Afro shit.

The come-latelys aren't really checking for foundational shit like Fela much anymore, and the long-timers can never agree on which of dude's like five hundred records is thee one, so he tends to fall between the cracks come list-making time.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    expensive shit would have been a good addition to the list, but whatever. the shit wasnt scientific

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    james said:
    the long-timers can never agree on which of dude's like five hundred records is thee one, so he tends to fall between the cracks come list-making time.

I think this is it. He was so consistent for so long that he doesn't really have a landmark album.

He's a more likely candidate for a lifetime achievement award.

I think one thing is clear.
    We like more than 100 records.