Sochi

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    I've never understood the American hesitance to enjoy hockey. it's violent, it's athletic, it's skilled, and you are heartily encouraged to get bombed while watching the game. PLUS, it's a game where you put something in a GOAL, and not some subjective scoring system.

Soccer on ice skates, no?

Yet, you wonder why most Americans aren't into it?

• HarveyCanal said:
    vintageinfants said:
    I've never understood the American hesitance to enjoy hockey. it's violent, it's athletic, it's skilled, and you are heartily encouraged to get bombed while watching the game. PLUS, it's a game where you put something in a GOAL, and not some subjective scoring system.

not even close. full contact basketball on ice with fistfights and no diving.

EDIT: name another sport where dudes will take 20+ stitches and return for the end of the game.

I watched most of the game. It's the only Olympic anything I've watched so far. Way to choke there, ladies. Y'all need to learn from the NFL that going into a prevent defense does nothing but prevent you from winning.

vintageinfants said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    vintageinfants said:

Are you trying to understand why we don't like it? Or are you just out to oversell your wares?

• HarveyCanal said:
    vintageinfants said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    vintageinfants said:

Are you trying to understand why we don't like it? Or are you just out to oversell your wares?

i am actually legitimately trying to understand. i'm not even heated like that, i just actually dont get it.

vintageinfants said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    vintageinfants said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    vintageinfants said:

i am actually legitimately trying to understand. i'm not even heated like that, i just actually dont get it.

I mean, the easiest answer is that: Most of us don't live where there is ever ice.

• vintageinfants said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    vintageinfants said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    vintageinfants said:

I mean, the easiest answer is that: Most of us don't live where there is ever ice.

That's not even true, but exemplifies Hooey's Confederate view of the country.

• vintageinfants said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    vintageinfants said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    vintageinfants said:

fair enough. i figure it's also an american past time to dislike things for no reason as well, so.... we'll call it a push.

b/w.

• vintageinfants said:

fair enough. i figure it's also an american past time to dislike things for no reason as well, so.... we'll call it a push.

naw, we just think it's boring. and comparing basketball and hockey? c'mon.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    NOT ENOUGH TIMEOUTS!

• there's actually a ton of Americans who are really into hockey.

fucking weirdos.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Seriously. The US National team is potentially gonna beat Canada tomorrow. Best team they've ever put on ice.

rootlesscosmo said:
    there's actually a ton of Americans who are really into hockey.

fucking weirdos.

Hilarious because it's true.

I used to like the city of Denver before they got a hockey team and lost their damned minds over it.

• walter_chron said:
    vintageinfants said:

i dont think it's THAT far of a stretch. 5 on 5. fast moving. east/west game.

i'm not saying they're the same thing, i'm saying that there are enough common denominators to compare the two positively.

what is more of an unrealistic premise? that it's similar to basketball or that it's not successful because a third of america doesn't get snow?

i didn't say that it SHOULD be more popular, i was stating that i was SURPRISED that i wasn't. it seems to check a lot of the boxes. maybe just less fat people?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    paging SoulonIce

• bassie said:
    paging SoulonIce

no shit.

• rootlesscosmo said:

vintageinfants said:
    bassie said:
    paging SoulonIce

no shit.

BostOnIce.

• vintageinfants said:
    walter_chron said:
    vintageinfants said:

i dont think it's THAT far of a stretch. 5 on 5. fast moving. east/west game.

i'm not saying they're the same thing, i'm saying that there are enough common denominators to compare the two positively.

what is more of an unrealistic premise? that it's similar to basketball or that it's not successful because a third of america doesn't get snow?

i didn't say that it SHOULD be more popular, i was stating that i was SURPRISED that i wasn't. it seems to check a lot of the boxes. maybe just less fat people?

yeah, I totally see what your saying, and I'm not even a hockey hater either. I like watching my team or big games or the playoffs or the end of a close game. I just can't count how many times i've been reasonably hyped like, "oh shit, there's a good hockey game tonight! I'm gonna grab some beers and watch that shit!", and been bored as fuck 8 minutes in and bailed to watch some basketball. I don't know what it is, I mean I try.

And, obviously, the basketball thing jumped out at me almost strictly because of the scoring. I mean, bball compared to anything that regularly results in 1-0 finals scores just immediately deadens it for me. Maybe that's another american thing, idk.

b/w

I stayed up all night and watched the US Russia game hammered and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

• you won't catch me pretending like canada is competitive in basketball, football, baseball or rap, but hockey is something that we have a very evenly matched rivalry that half your country doesn't even care to recognize. that's all. no propagating, just trying to put you up on it like you might enjoy it.

• especially with the game being recently american-ized by shrinking goalie pads for more goals and settling undecided overtime games with a shootout.

just strikes me as peculiar.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I think another factor--along with climate, which is probably the biggie--is that even in its most stripped-down, pick-up-game form, hockey requires a decent amount of equipment (I'm guessing you need, at the very least, some kind of skates, some kind of stick, and some kind of puck-type object?). Here in the United States of Casual, that's a bit of a deal-breaker. I think that to get any kind of cultural toehold here you need to be able to, when it gets down to it, have your shit together in two blanks or less: "Hey, let's grab some _____ and a _____ and go play a quick game." Any pastime requiring more runway than that is gonna struggle at the ground level.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    It all starts with ball hockey!

b/w

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    That's it. Bandy is my sport...

• DOR said:
    That's it. Bandy is my sport...

there's no end to the dumb shit they'll feature in the olympics.

take a sport, make it a little easier, call it a different name...

shades of "team handball" (which I realize is huge in eastern europe).

• anyone got a link to a live stream of this game??

• walter_chron said:
    anyone got a link to a live stream of this game??

http://olympics.cbc.ca/videos/live/video/men-hockey-semi-final-webcast-35935.html

45 second delay

• thanks but....

This video is not not working or not available in your territory. Please check again later on.