Sochi

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    dude you wrote:

LaserWolf said:
    Lets not forget the US.
    Foreign embassies and consulates routinely use slave labor.

Dude. I wrote:
    Lets not forget the US.
    Foreign embassies and consulates routinely use slave labor. The recent arrest of an Indian diplomat in NYC raised an international out cry. Not over slave labor, but over diplomatic immunity.

US farms, factories, and even quicky marts, use slave labor. Estimates put the annual number of slaves in the US as over 14,500.

As for Sochi, I will be rooting for the country with the crumbling infrastructure, anti-gay laws, sub standard health care, failing schools... USA! USA! USA!

If ignoring over 14,500 slave laborers in USA (plus those at embassies and consulates in the US) makes you more of a patriot than I am I can live with that.

• this is a stupid argument. I'm not being jingoistic. Frank pointed out that slavery and deadly working conditions are commonplace (even legal) in Gulf States; you had to wag your finger and bring the US into it; the two cases are vastly different, and I was just pointing that out. Lord knows the US has problems, but let's not pretend we're on the same level as the Saudis, Qataris and Emirates when it comes to workers rights.

Frank said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    dude you wrote:

LaserWolf said:
    Lets not forget the US.

The whole debate surrounding the case of the Indian Consulate worker is morally dishonest.
    It's funny how the Indian government asked the US embassy to declare exactly what they pay their staff and what US diplomats pay their domestic staff at home. Apparently Indian embassy staff like cooks or drivers $200 to $250 (I'm assuming er week?":
    http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2013-12-29/news/45674890_1_indian-diplomats-indian-staff-wages

Let's not confuse "underpaying" with "slavery".

I disagree. If a person is tricked, or forced, into "employment", is indentured to the employer, is not allowed to leave, and is not paid a living wage, That Is Slavery.

I don't buy the whole, 'but our slaves are happy and well fed' argument.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Frank said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    dude you wrote:

LaserWolf said:
    Lets not forget the US.

The whole debate surrounding the case of the Indian Consulate worker is morally dishonest.
    It's funny how the Indian government asked the US embassy to declare exactly what they pay their staff and what US diplomats pay their domestic staff at home. Apparently Indian embassy staff like cooks or drivers $200 to $250 (I'm assuming er week?":
    http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2013-12-29/news/45674890_1_indian-diplomats-indian-staff-wages

I disagree. If a person is tricked, or forced, into "employment", is indentured to the employer, is not allowed to leave, and is not paid a living wage, That Is Slavery.

I'm getting dizzy here, did you say "Foreign embassies and consulates (in the US) routinely use slave labor" or did you mean "US embassies and consulates (abroad) routinely use slave labor"?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Don't forget about those $7.50 an hour fast food slaves

b/w

WE ARE THE WORLD

rootlesscosmo said:
    this is a stupid argument. I'm not being jingoistic. Frank pointed out that slavery and deadly working conditions are commonplace (even legal) in Gulf States; you had to wag your finger and bring the US into it; the two cases are vastly different, and I was just pointing that out. Lord knows the US has problems, but let's not pretend we're on the same level as the Saudis, Qataris and Emirates when it comes to workers rights.

I don't have a voice in those countries. I do have a voice in the US. It would be dishonest of me to make a stink about gay rights in Russia, when people can't get married in my own state, are 'legally' refused service, and are beaten for being gay.
    Likewise, while I am appalled at slavery anywhere, I am far more appalled when it happens at home.
    You and Frank are world travelers, and might consider yourselves citizens of the world.
    I am just an American that thinks we can do better.

Frank said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Frank said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    dude you wrote:

LaserWolf said:
    Lets not forget the US.

I'm getting dizzy here, did you say "Foreign embassies and consulates (in the US) routinely use slave labor" or did you mean "US embassies and consulates (abroad) routinely use slave labor"?

I was speaking to FEAC in the US, but was conscious of the fact that this is a world wide problem.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

I don't have a voice in those countries. I do have a voice in the US. It would be dishonest of me to make a stink about gay rights in Russia, when people can't get married in my own state, are 'legally' refused service, and are beaten for being gay..

Many US states have already legalized gay marriage in this country, with many more on the verge. Further, the US government recognizes those marriages by way of permitting tax breaks and joint filing. Russia has neither of those characteristics.

While people may be beat up for being gay, that's also federal crime. It's not sanctioned by our government, and hasn't been for a minute.

Russia has also made it a criminal act to publically speak positively about homosexuality. The US doesn't have that.

If you have such an issue with Oregon, move. Don't lay that at the feet of the whole country just because you folks in Oregon are backwards.

It certainly shouldn't hold you back from speaking out against injustice in other parts of the world., unless you don't honestly think Russia's position on gays is an injustice

Equating the US to Russia in regard to gay rights is......weird.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    this is a stupid argument. I'm not being jingoistic. Frank pointed out that slavery and deadly working conditions are commonplace (even legal) in Gulf States; you had to wag your finger and bring the US into it; the two cases are vastly different, and I was just pointing that out. Lord knows the US has problems, but let's not pretend we're on the same level as the Saudis, Qataris and Emirates when it comes to workers rights.

I don't have a voice in those countries. I do have a voice in the US. It would be dishonest of me to make a stink about gay rights in Russia, when people can't get married in my own state, are 'legally' refused service, and are beaten for being gay.
    Likewise, while I am appalled at slavery anywhere, I am far more appalled when it happens at home.
    You and Frank are world travelers, and might consider yourselves citizens of the world.
    I am just an American that thinks we can do better.

The Nigerian president recently passed an anti gay law that in the Northern Nigerian states which have the Sharia is now being used to punish homosexual acts with lashes and possibly even with death. I had a brief discussion about this with a Nigerian friend who said that this was in part a spiteful reaction to Western powers trying to dictate their liberal ways on African governments... but then it also could be argued that the anti-gay sentiments in sub-saharan countries are tied in with the imported religions of Christianity and Islam which both are the forces that promote these heinous anti-gay laws and assaults.

There's a new documentary out called "God Loves Uganda" that's supposed to be really good and another recentt one called "missionaries of hate" which both highlight how the anti-gay persecution in Uganda was and is being fueled by US missionaries and their propaganda. Missionaries Of Hate is on Vimeo but I haven't had the guts to watch it yet because I know it will make me want to go out and kill people.

In my opinion it is not only legitimate but necessary to let the Russians now how they stigmatize themselves with their medieval bullshit and that they can't expect to be accepted by the rest of the civilized world while they pass anti gay laws and watch while nazis torture and kill gays only to arrest and harass the victims.

It's a fucked up world that stinks from many places but the stinkiest corners should not be rewarded by letting them host prestigious sporting events. Or maybe they should cause sports fucking sucks anyways!

They just awarded the first Gold Medal.

A dog set the world record for the 100 yard dash.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Don't forget about those $7.50 an hour fast food slaves

b/w

WE ARE THE WORLD

Not for nothing. And way off topic.

But $7.5 is slave labour IMO.

A 40 hour work week is $15,600. Minus any deductions (Whatever they might be).

Depending where you live. Rent and food is putting you around there.

Being a slave you're given the basics of food and shelter...

In my city, there has been some controversy on this guy who just got fired from heading up the Pan Am games. Fired...

Getting fired is getting him $534,800 in severance.

Of that $10,000 is for "relocation counselling"

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2014/01/31/fired_pan_am_games_ceo_to_get_536000_severance.html

Darwinism is a bitch

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    They just awarded the first Gold Medal.

A dog set the world record for the 100 yard dash.

I'd rather watch those dogs jumping into the pool contest than the Winter Olympics.

• Snapping said:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/06/sports/olympics/racing-to-save-dogs-roaming-around-sochi.html?hp&hp;&;_r=1

Somewhat unsurprisingly, Sochi is not a good place to be a dog these days....

New Olympic sport? Dog sledding?

BTW - I would not even want to attend this Olympic Games as a spectator or athlete.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Only just spotted that Google incorporated the rainbow flag into today's Olympic doodle. Full marks Larry and Sergei.

• Snapping said:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/06/sports/olympics/racing-to-save-dogs-roaming-around-sochi.html?hp&hp;&;_r=1

Somewhat unsurprisingly, Sochi is not a good place to be a dog these days....

The real hard hitting story here is how in Sochi used toilet paper must be put in the trash can as opposed to flushed down the toilet.

Western journalists cannot suffer this indignity.

Ok, 4000 posts, does Faux still have that god awful pink striped shirt? Is Day still mistaken for Kevin James? Brian Peppers. The_Mack. How many of you have gray and/or no hair now? Most of you should be getting old now.

That is all, see you in a few years.

Graf....I just want to comment on your awesome avatar.

Johnny Eck was part of the greatest Vaudeville act of all time.

He worked with a "magician" and their act was the old cut the body in half routine.

Except after the body was cut in half Johnny would leap off the table and run down the aisle and out of the theater on his hands!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    People in my office are watching the opening ceremony, commenting on the outfits and talking in what they think each country's accent sounds like. Kill me.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Yuzuru Hanyu killed it last night in men's figure skating.

:feelin_it:

• bassie said:
    People in my office are watching the opening ceremony, commenting on the outfits and talking in what they think each country's accent sounds like. Kill me.

your work place sounds kinda fun actually.

"The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." ???Olympic Charter

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Channel 4 are airing this all over the UK right now...

:beerbang:

• SUPER HETERO ARMY

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Canadia kinda killed it with this one

• DB_Cooper said:
    Canadia kinda killed it with this one

and then this dimwit un-kills it.

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Wants gay pride flag out front of City Hall taken down.

rob ford has officially become costanza TRYING to get fired from the yankees. straight wiping sauce on the bambino's jersey.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Snapping said:

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    watching the Russian Police Choir sing "Get Lucky" makes me think maybe Russia isn't so homophobic after all. Their version of that song has a strong Pet Shop Boys vibe.