Sochi

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited February 2014 in Strut Central

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    No surprise Sochi isn't ready. As long as no terrorists attack I'll be happy. It is a bit elitist to expect top notch service just because the Olympics are there but Putin also dug himself a hole with this one.

Regardless I pretty much just leave the channel on the Olympics for 2 weeks and watch it all. I'm more annoyed about the awful US coverage that usually occurs than I am about reporters haveing to live like the locals for a couple weeks.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I insta follow some people who are there, saying their nbc setup is dialed. And there's powder. :bizzo:

Yahurd.

I stayed in a smoking room in Mountain Home, Idaho last summer. It was horrendous.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I'm in it for the hockey.

After that, I have no interest in the winter olympics whatsoever.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Snowboarding.
    Ski Jump.
    Downhill for the epic stacks.
    Anything with cowbells in the crowd. You can never have enough cowbells, no?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what about all the gays getting beaten

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Curling!

I've never cared for the winter olympics tbh, but if I had cable I'd tune in just to get my mind off the 100??F evenings I'm dealing with right now.

also, US coverage of the olympics seems to have taken an irreversible turn for the worse after the Sydney games, when they switched from straight live coverage to over-produced segments.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Curling
    Women's speedskating

Terrible idea for location.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    US coverage of the olympics seems to have taken an irreversible turn for the worse after the Sydney games
    I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that, but for whatever reason, Sydney kinda had me open. I guess because I'm more of a sentimentalist than a true sports fan, but I remember tearing up at both the Cathy Freeman shit at the opening and the Slim Dusty shit at the closing.

The Winters Olympics are my shit, though. But I tend to favor scoring/timed events--judged events mostly just get me heated.

File under "Can it be that it was all so simple then?": The first sneakers I have any conscious memory of were some navy blue post-Montreal Bruce Jenner cash-in skippies with red and white flair and the bogus gold medal attached. I put them on for the first time on the stairs at my aunt's house, threw my old jernts down into the yawning oblivion of her basement, and ran around the outside of the house at breakneck speed and you couldn't tell me shit...right up until I vomited a little bit of Tang out by the woodpile. For about two decades straight, my mom rocked a commemorative 1980 Lake Placid Games vacuum cleaner with cord issues. My brother had a big Sarajevo poster for a while. My daughter got a swimming lesson from Cullen Jones a while back. Ah, youth.

Anyway, yeah, I'll be checking Sochi, and, like the man says, hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

• PatrickCrazy said:
    what about all the gays getting beaten...to death

Fixed that for you.

A lot of LGBT activist groups are organizing various boycotts, but there's a range of opinions on the matter.

• i do find it funny that Sidney Crosby and co are sleeping on cots and shit, like military dorm room style - WTF?

• Looks like 50 billion doesn't go as far as it used to.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    52 of that will have been backhanders...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I've recently read a bunch of pieces about organized crime and corruption in Russia and shit is completely next level, not outlandish or out of this world but totally extraterrestrial... it was all in german so the links won't do you any good but just google for the Zapok gang out of Kutschowskaja to induce some prolonged headshaking. For the small handful krauts who do frequent the board, this is a pretty good, disgusting, entertaining and scary read: http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/russland-im-angesicht-des-verbrechens-16424.html

They should just give up on the Olympics altogether. Actually as corrupt as their committee has grown it's more than fitting that they're staging their shitshow in Russia. They should just move it there permanently, introduce mob run bare knuckle fights, cancel all doping tests and turn the whole spectacle into a hormone fueled steroid championship. They should also allow or better encourage human cloning and genetic manipulation for future athletes. Hell, I want to see bearded women claw each others eyes out and three legged mutant babies kick the guts out of their asses. Maybe then I'd start watching sports for once.

• "i expected better from russia"

- No One, Ever

• "in russia, olympics watch you"

seriously though, the seeming corruption surrounding these games is hard to escape. also, those videos of gays being beaten by skinhead mobs seem like scenes straight out of krystalnacht.

• vintageinfants said:
    "i expected better from russia"

- No One, Ever

haha

• Frank said:
    I've recently read a bunch of pieces about organized crime and corruption in Russia and shit is completely next level, not outlandish or out of this world but totally extraterrestrial... it was all in german so the links won't do you any good but just google for the Zapok gang out of Kutschowskaja to induce some prolonged headshaking. For the small handful krauts who do frequent the board, this is a pretty good, disgusting, entertaining and scary read: http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/russland-im-angesicht-des-verbrechens-16424.html

They should just give up on the Olympics altogether. Actually as corrupt as their committee has grown it's more than fitting that they're staging their shitshow in Russia. They should just move it there permanently, introduce mob run bare knuckle fights, cancel all doping tests and turn the whole spectacle into a hormone fueled steroid championship. They should also allow or better encourage human cloning and genetic manipulation for future athletes. Hell, I want to see bearded women claw each others eyes out and three legged mutant babies kick the guts out of their asses. Maybe then I'd start watching sports for once.

Russia is among 2-3 countries that I am absolutely terrified to visit.

I'd sooner go to Somalia, and I'm dead serious when I say that.

• the winter olympics are almost like hallowe'en for us canadians.

the olympic hockey tournament is a two week period every four years where everyone in an otherwise mild-mannered and delightfully subservient country gets to haul their patriotic gear out from where you keep the christmas decorations and straight wile out on patriotism like our friends to the south.

for two weeks in february, we ARE america, and our version is hilarious.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    prof_rockwell said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

Fixed that for you.

A lot of LGBT activist groups are organizing various boycotts, but there's a range of opinions on the matter.

I wasn't sure if Patrick's comment was in jest. Or serious...

In all seriousness. Russia should not be given any of these world wide events.

Disgusting shit.

• This is a sign in some of the hotel bathrooms:

WHY DID I BRING MY FISHING POLE?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    DOR said:
    prof_rockwell said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

Fixed that for you.

Disgusting shit.

wtf, why wouldn't it be serious

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    "i expected better from russia"

- No One, Ever

This shit is in Russia?

I figured it was in SOuth CHIcago!

PatrickCrazy said:
    DOR said:
    prof_rockwell said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

Fixed that for you.

Disgusting shit.

I'm sorry. I guess I've become use to your 1 line posts usually stirring the pot.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    DOR said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    DOR said:
    prof_rockwell said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

Fixed that for you.

Disgusting shit.

I'm sorry. I guess I've become use to your 1 line posts usually stirring the pot.
    wtf are you talking about? am I the only one who finds it incredible that this shit is going but everyone is like NBD IM GOING TO WATCH SOME CURLING

• ]wtf are you talking about? am I the only one who finds it incredible that this shit is going but everyone is like NBD IM GOING TO WATCH SOME CURLING

Oh, my cognitive dissonance is strong going into this one. I'm a big Olympics fan, even if it's become more of a corporate sponsored affair, but I also don't really want to give any airtime to advertisers associated with this one.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    "in russia, toilet seat puts YOU down!""

fixed.

http://deadspin.com/a-users-guide-to-the-bizarre-toilets-of-sochi-1516518904

PatrickCrazy said:

wtf are you talking about? am I the only one who finds it incredible that this shit is going but everyone is like NBD IM GOING TO WATCH SOME CURLING

I've already stated that I find this Olympics being in Russia wrong and disgusting.

I'm watching because all these athletes have been putting their whole lives into being in the Olympics. They deserve support...

People like Kaya Turski (All athletes deserve support) deserve to have people cheering them on.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1124694/how-experimental-knee-surgery-got-kaya-turski-ready-for-the-olympics/

And my original comment towards you wasn't an attack. It was only due to your ability to throw out one word (or line) with no context. Making it tough to figure out what you're really getting at. But thanks for a clarification. And I agree with you. These games should not be happening in Russia.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Patrick Crazy endorses Jimmy Carter!

• Rockadelic said:

I figured it was in SOuth CHIcago!

clever!

• Horseleech said:
    This is a sign in some of the hotel bathrooms:

WHY DID I BRING MY FISHING POLE?

Is the bottom right dude slammin' heroin (or krokodil :oof: ) ??

:woah: