Sochi

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    deezlee said:

That guy was a crack up. Pants on the ground!

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    Just saw this... what a comeback... Yikes!

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/02/14/when-irish-ice-is-smiling

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts

Thought I'd embed it. Good catch from the lad.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    [removed][removed]

• you guys are the best

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    SPOILER ALERT: weird people make weird faces

http://www.sadanduseless.com/2014/02/faces-of-olympic-figure-skating/

• here's a taste of a bit of the local flavour we've got going on over here:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    here's a taste of a bit of the local flavour we've got going on over here:

Dude is next level. Made me laugh more than once.

That said. Sketchy stuff...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I just watched some Olympics, and for my trouble, I got to hear "podium" used as a verb and watch a Cadillac commercial whose off-the-meter jingoistic dickhead vibes were delivered atop portions of Terry Callier's otherwise imperial "You Goin' Miss Your Candyman."

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    DOR said:
    vintageinfants said:
    here's a taste of a bit of the local flavour we've got going on over here:

Dude is next level. Made me laugh more than once.

That said. Sketchy stuff...

Can you link to the real newscaster this guy's imitating? No way is this dude real! He's a master. Holy shit!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts

• FEB 18, 2014
    Here's why the US women's bobsled team has basically already won gold
    Halfway through the women???s bobsled competition in Sochi, United States 1 leads Canada 1 by 0.23 seconds and third-place United States 2 by 0.56 seconds. With two of the four heats remaining and just a half-second separating three teams, the gold medal seems like it would be up for grabs. Not so fast, my friends.

A fascinating article in Slate suggests that because bobsled results tend to be highly predictable, USA 1 might as well receive their gold medals now. As Ben Blatt discovered, time variations in bobsled runs are so minuscule that the team winning after the second heat has gone on to win 85 percent of Olympic or World Cup competitions since 2006. The gold at each Olympic race in 2010 was already sewn up at the halfway point.

FEB 19, 2014

:game_over: :game_over: :game_over: :game_over: :game_over:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    So USA1, after two heats, put 0.23 seconds on the Cannucks? Their sled is .11 faster per run? Surely, if they get 2 clams or they faceplant the start, they could still theoretically drop the time?

• I think all the Americans in this funny/cold Olympics thread should back out and cede it to the Canadians.

least we can do for the little guys.

toodles.

• J i m s t e r said:
    So USA1, after two heats, put 0.23 seconds on the Cannucks? Their sled is .11 faster per run? Surely, if they get 2 clams or they faceplant the start, they could still theoretically drop the time?

they did. disastrous final runs and they gave it up.

counting chickens.....

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Am I to understand that teh USA and teh Canada will be playing ice hockey against each other?

• DB_Cooper said:
    Am I to understand that teh USA and teh Canada will be playing ice hockey against each other?

tomorrow at noon. i'm pretty sure the entire country will be stopping for two hours.

• vintageinfants said:
    DB_Cooper said:

tomorrow at noon. i'm pretty sure the entire country will be stopping for two hours.

Not here. Just some guys in places named "Rochester" taking long lunches.

I have to admit, I am interested enough in the outcome of this match to allow myself to passively learn the result from someone else at some point after it's over. Which is more than I can say for anything that has happened at these Olympics thusfar.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    The Canadian in my office is losing his mind right now.

• I've never understood the American hesitance to enjoy hockey. it's violent, it's athletic, it's skilled, and you are heartily encouraged to get bombed while watching the game. PLUS, it's a game where you put something in a GOAL, and not some subjective scoring system.

• DB_Cooper said:
    I have to admit, I am interested enough in the outcome of this match to allow myself to passively learn the result from someone else at some point after it's over. Which is more than I can say for anything that has happened at these Olympics thusfar.

vintageinfants said:
    I've never understood the American hesitance to enjoy hockey. it's violent, it's athletic, it's skilled, and you are heartily encouraged to get bombed while watching the game. PLUS, it's a game where you put something in a GOAL, and not some subjective scoring system.

I actually enjoy hockey, having grown up in a hockey-loving area. I just moved, though, and don't have TV. Couple that with my apathy towards the Olympics and you get this. Still, from what I understand, the Canadien team is supposed to be the Dream Team, so I have some interest in the outcome. You know, USA USA, and whatnot.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    That women's game was insane.
    Wow.

cove said:
    Wow.

Well, you can cross that off the list of things you thought you'd never hear someone say.

• DB_Cooper said:
    vintageinfants said:
    I've never understood the American hesitance to enjoy hockey. it's violent, it's athletic, it's skilled, and you are heartily encouraged to get bombed while watching the game. PLUS, it's a game where you put something in a GOAL, and not some subjective scoring system.

I actually enjoy hockey, having grown up in a hockey-loving area. I just moved, though, and don't have TV. Couple that with my apathy towards the Olympics and you get this. Still, from what I understand, the Canadien team is supposed to be the Dream Team, so I have some interest in the outcome. You know, USA USA, and whatnot.

the canadians have the allstars yeah, but i think that the US is basically the only team that could beat canada.

all i'm saying is the "ONLY POAST IN THIS THREAD IF YOU'RE DRUNK" thread will probably be getting an early afternoon visit.

• FOR THE WIN

• vintageinfants said:

Unless the net gets kicked loose.

I've been interested in the NHL again the past few years after giving it up for a long time because the Bruins ownership didn't give a damn about the team. But I hate the Winter Olympics in general, and the way the hockey teams were assembled just makes the games seem like a series of NHL All Star Game spinoffs.

The Winter Olympics in general is the worst sporting event there is. Ice dancing, really? Those stupid X-Games events? Crap, all of it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I was in the middle of a presentation with my managers and director and all of a sudden we heard screaming and yelling from down the hall. Everyone froze....and then we remembered the game lol
    It was really odd and scary to hear that kind of noise in an office setting.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    cove said:
    Wow.

Well, you can cross that off the list of things you thought you'd never hear someone say.

Nah.
    The US-Canada women's hockey games are almost always amazing. Better than most men's games.