Sochi

Comments

• Sexytime!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:

Sexytime!

does no one remember this his&hers; from a few years ago??

• bassie said:

does no one remember this his&hers; from a few years ago??

Whose side are the candles on?

• man, all of the media who've gone there early to send out mean tweets are going to be SO PISSED when they find out they're competing in the first ever russian hunger games to close the olympics.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Could be worse...

Alex Owumi: I played basketball for Gaddafi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25933297

• vintageinfants said:
    man, all of the media who've gone there early to send out mean tweets are going to be SO PISSED when they find out they're competing in the first ever russian hunger games to close the olympics.

An interesting twist. Watch out lame Super Bowl, here comes the most watched event ever!

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

• the structures in the ancient olympics weren't crumbling yet. they were, like, brand new and shit.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    the structures in the ancient olympics weren't crumbling yet. they were, like, brand new and shit.

Yeah but now you can have brand new AND crumbling, the best of both worlds, ancient and modern all wrapped into one. Instant vintage.

They should have the Einst??rzende Neubauten play at the grand opening ceremonies.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Making the Brazilian World Cup look good.

(I thought the bad press Brazil was getting was over the top.)

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Making the Brazilian World Cup look good.

(I thought the bad press Brazil was getting was over the top.)

Don't get me started on the fucking World Cup. FIFA is just the same breed of corrupt and evil fuckers as the Olympic Committee. In 2013 alone 185 Nepalese workers died on construction sites in Qatar building the stadiums and that's only the official number which everybody knows leaves the far majority of cases unrevealed since concealing their slave labor realities is on the very top of their national agenda. And "their" World Cup is going to be in 2022... once we're getting close to the actual event these Arab salvers will have succeeded in reaching genocidal proportions. Someone should give them a medal for that.

• Frank said:
    And "their" World Cup is going to be in 2022... once we're getting close to the actual event these Arab salvers will have succeeded in reaching genocidal proportions. Someone should give them a medal for that.

Yo for real, why are you talking like that?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    StoneHands said:
    Frank said:
    And "their" World Cup is going to be in 2022... once we're getting close to the actual event these Arab salvers will have succeeded in reaching genocidal proportions. Someone should give them a medal for that.

Cause it's a fact.

Plus, I was called a European colonialist times enough to talk any damn way I want to.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    StoneHands said:
    Frank said:

You don't think they should get a medal for that?

• Whats with the "Arab slavers" stuff though? Check how Egyptians or Palestinians get treated in the Gulf and the whole "arab/non-arab" dichotomy kinda falls apart.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    StoneHands said:
    Whats with the "Arab slavers" stuff though? Check how Egyptians or Palestinians get treated in the Gulf and the whole "arab/non-arab" dichotomy kinda falls apart.

I used the term "Arab slavers" to point out a cultural historical consistency that you will find impossible to disprove.

Better spend your time on researching the situation of "migrant" workers in Dubai for example. Specifically look into Somalian maids.

What you are talking about above has absolutely nothing to do with this.

• Frank said:
    StoneHands said:
    Whats with the "Arab slavers" stuff though? Check how Egyptians or Palestinians get treated in the Gulf and the whole "arab/non-arab" dichotomy kinda falls apart.

I used the term "Arab slavers" to point out a cultural historical consistency that you will find impossible to disprove.

Better spend your time on researching the situation of "migrant" workers in Dubai for example. Specifically look into Somalian maids.

What you are talking about above has absolutely nothing to do with this.

I hear you on the migrant workers situation of course. Wifey's Sudanese and has siblings living in Dubai. I just dont see the point in that kind of language - seems purposefully generalizing, on some orientalist sh*t. Considering your won experiences Im sure you'd find that annoying, no?

Lets not forget the US.
    Foreign embassies and consulates routinely use slave labor. The recent arrest of an Indian diplomat in NYC raised an international out cry. Not over slave labor, but over diplomatic immunity.

US farms, factories, and even quicky marts, use slave labor. Estimates put the annual number of slaves in the US as over 14,500.

As for Sochi, I will be rooting for the country with the crumbling infrastructure, anti-gay laws, sub standard health care, failing schools... USA! USA! USA!

• http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/06/sports/olympics/racing-to-save-dogs-roaming-around-sochi.html?hp&hp&;_r=1

Somewhat unsurprisingly, Sochi is not a good place to be a dog these days....

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Thread is fascinating on some sociological schitt.
    Not about Russia, but on the NA psychosis.

Are dudes pro-gay or anti anti-gay?
    Is the vitriol aimed at Russki on a residual Cold War angst basis?
    Teh Man From Uncle sold you the whole Th.Rush propaganda so well that it seeped into the collective DNA and still hits home after two generations?
    The ability to be good at chess and put tin can in space on string+blue tack so shook the confidence that hairs stand on end at the mere mention of the euroasiatc hordes?

Speakski on it.

::wink::

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    StoneHands said:

I just dont see the point in that kind of language

Why? The term adequately described the subject. So where's the offense?

StoneHands said:
    Considering your won experiences Im sure you'd find that annoying, no?

No! Definitely not, being called out as an European colonialist never did anything but amuse me. Especially by Americans which implicates an almost delicious irony. The price took a self titled "Chief" Boima Tucker, aka the "Sherbo Son"... whose proud African roots I found out consist of being a descendent of one of the most infamous slave trading families of the entire West African coastline.

But yeah, let's not hi-jack a hi-jacked thread and get back to the greatest games of the bloody mess we call human history.

• LaserWolf said:

Foreign embassies and consulates routinely use slave labor.

that's foreign governments...and when we find out about we arrest them (see the recent Indian thing).

every year or so some rich Saudi is discovered with a slave or two in their house. prosecutions/deportations usually follow, as they should.

these practices are illegal in the US.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Snapping said:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/06/sports/olympics/racing-to-save-dogs-roaming-around-sochi.html?hp&hp;&;_r=1

Somewhat unsurprisingly, Sochi is not a good place to be a dog these days....

Sad but like you said not surprising.

Yesterday I saw a short report on this family's house about to slide down the hill due to the ground becoming unstable from the Olympic constructions:

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DOR said:
    You know what's fucked-up in an oddly culturally-specific way? The anti-gay "Occupy Pedophilia" propaganda video that's expcerpted in this piece uses (at 0:36) the tango fanfare from the Police Academy movies, the same one that played whenever a straight character inadvertently ended up in the very gay Blue Oyster Bar, and the same one that for a huge swath of the eighties was audio shorthand among suburban American chuckleheads--dudes would sing or whistle the first few notes of that horn part--for denoting someone or something that you thought might be "homo." Dudes at my school used to do that shit all the time, and at my cousin's school up north, too. Hearing it used in this vile Russian shit in 2014 is jarring.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    LaserWolf said:

that's foreign governments...and when we find out about we arrest them (see the recent Indian thing).

every year or so some rich Saudi is discovered with a slave or two in their house. prosecutions/deportations usually follow, as they should.

these practices are illegal in the US.

Dude...we can't allow other countries to be called out without throwing America under the bus too.

That would be Un-'Murican

Bizarre that someone would think that "Foreign embassies and consulates" would refer to the US.
    SMH

• dude you wrote:

LaserWolf said:
    Lets not forget the US.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    james said:
    DOR said:
    You know what's fucked-up in an oddly culturally-specific way? The anti-gay "Occupy Pedophilia" propaganda video that's expcerpted in this piece uses (at 0:36) the tango fanfare from the Police Academy movies, the same one that played whenever a straight character inadvertently ended up in the very gay Blue Oyster Bar, and the same one that for a huge swath of the eighties was audio shorthand among suburban American chuckleheads--dudes would sing or whistle the first few notes of that horn part--for denoting someone or something that you thought might be "homo." Dudes at my school used to do that shit all the time, and at my cousin's school up north, too. Hearing it used in this vile Russian shit in 2014 is jarring.

FWIW, it's a French made song that I've heard multiple times watching original Soviet-era commercials, movies and cartoons. It's called "El Bimbo." And, to add some irony:

"The song "El Bimbo" is used as a theme song for a 1977 Soviet-made anti-war short film named "Polygon (film)" directed by Anatoly Petrov and written by Sever Gansovsky."-wiki

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    dude you wrote:

LaserWolf said:
    Lets not forget the US.

The whole debate surrounding the case of the Indian Consulate worker is morally dishonest.
    It's funny how the Indian government asked the US embassy to declare exactly what they pay their staff and what US diplomats pay their domestic staff at home and none of those numbers were ever published, at least not what Americans pay for their domestic helps abroad which would be the exact equivalent to the offense of the Indian Consulate woman who got busted in the US.

Apparently Indian staff at the US embassy like cooks or drivers $200 to $250 (I'm assuming per week?":
    http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2013-12-29/news/45674890_1_indian-diplomats-indian-staff-wages

But let's not confuse "underpaying" with "slavery".