Vnylst

1235»

Comments

• LaserWolf said:

I would, but I can't write all good like James can.

I don't think it would be, like, that hard. I mean, just relax and say what you feel.

• soundsreal said:
    The heartbreaking thing about this thread
    is that Ossian (or whatever his name is)
    Is the only one who doesn't realize how much everyone wants to see him succeed
    and how much everyone is trying to help him

Peace.

Actually, that's not true. I've passed my regard to people on this thread privately and publicly where their feedback has been informative and constructive. By the nature of this very thread a lot gets lost in the mix.

We're working on how to improve our site, message and overall ask. I appreciate the feedback, folk.

Osandi
    Vnylst Inc.
    Attached files

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    LaserWolf said:

I would, but I can't write all good like James can.

I don't think it would be, like, that hard. I mean, just relax and say what you feel.

Should I use a lot of slanty looking, words, and like those, comma thingies?

• FamousMortimer said:
    where is the blood in this thread old soulstrut would've never let this ole i work at the genius bar listen to my jargon then give me six hundred thousand dollars ass clon clock out with a simple thanks for your feedback everyone here should be ashamed of their kindness and maturity

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    THEY CALL IT PROGRESS.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    hey good luck with your steak holding thing

• "breathe new life into the beloved pastime of collecting and sharing records"

so after all the smoke clears, it's just some tacky record tchoktkas. i'm sure you're all kicking yourselves for not investing/donating sooner to this high minded venture.

http://www.vnylst.com/collectibles/
    http://www.vnylst.com/crates/
    http://www.vnylst.com/slipmats/
    http://www.vnylst.com/apparel/

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    $140 for a 45 crate? And those dividers look annoying in the crate too. I could see paying... maybe $25 for it.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Or you can buy their version of a Rega turntable with a phony wood base for about double the cost of the regular version:

http://www.vnylst.com/recordplayers/

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    are you guys seriously questioning someone who worked as an Apple Genius????

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    "peace"

sells but who's buying?

• when i was in middle school my friend marc's older sister* used to pick up the phone by saying 'peace'. the first time i called around i got so confused i just blurted out 'yeah, cool. okay peace!' and hung up right away. i didn't know what to do next so i just walked over to his house to talk.

*= she had had one of ODB's many children, and she also called everyone 'earff' and 'god'

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    $140 for a 45 crate? And those dividers look annoying in the crate too. I could see paying... maybe $25 for it.

If you want 45 crates, holler at my dude Mitch at Lookwright.

My personal preference is for a box with smooth sides.
    Crates invariable catch (and ding) the covers as they go in and out.

I do appreciate the work and the beauty of those Lookwright crates.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    My personal preference is for a box with smooth sides.
    Crates invariable catch (and ding) the covers as they go in and out.

I do appreciate the work and the beauty of those Lookwright crates.

Yeah, that's true--all the stuff in my Lookwright crate is in a plastic sleeve to counter the catch-n-ding issue. And Lookwright makes some flat-sided crates as well:

• DJ_Enki said:
    Kinetic said:

damn yo! those are so damn fresh...

• Those crates are nice.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    when i was in middle school my friend marc's older sister* used to pick up the phone by saying 'peace'. the first time i called around i got so confused i just blurted out 'yeah, cool. okay peace!' and hung up right away. i didn't know what to do next so i just walked over to his house to talk.

*= she had had one of ODB's many children, and she also called everyone 'earff' and 'god'

I laughed.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Kinetic said:

I actually am kinda in the market for something better than shoe boxes for my 45s. These look pretty awesome. Doesn't look like they ship to the land of Oz though. They do look super fresh though, and I like the idea of hijacking this thread to buy something at less than half the price elsewhere too!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I'm not seeing the functionality nor the attractiveness of either product.

Milk crates will ding the corners of your record covers and are for junkers and amateurs. making them out of wood doesn't improve the concept.

For storage I'd consider protection from dust, sunlight and potential leaks and spills as well as stackablility to be the mainly important features:

While for carrying them out I'd want to look for protection against shock, dust and rain as well as for style:

As for the Vnylst debacle, it was quite obvious that their absurdly unrealistic crowd-sourcing project would be an embarrassing failure and it was funny to just watch it disappear from their website and them acting like it never happened.

Now the project has degraded to just another useless digital bathroom wall on twitter and facebook. All of this stupid vinyl talk is making me sick anyway. There's nothing special about vinyl. It's nothing but plastic. Most records are shit. Very few of them are special but most are just a waste of perfectly good petroleum. Seeing this fool post up pictures of landfill fodder such as The Thing or the Mawhinney "collection" just proves the absence of any clue or rhyme or reason.

Fucking bullshit start-up hype talk. Come and mow my lawn if you want to do something useful. Or want to do something special that improves the lives of many? Go and fix a road! Actually, you could fill quite some potholes by melting down the Mawhinney and the Thing stock. Crowd-source that, I'd give you a buck or two.

• Frank is my new best friend.

I think the wooden crates are for look. You leave them out like furniture, so when people visit they comment on them. Not exactly built for long term storage but for housing the records you are gonna listen to.

• Hey guys... Speakmumbles nailed it. My current crate offerings at Lookwright are more geared as a piece of furniture for the home... which is why I am using top class furniture grade material... making the cost sit where it does at the moment. I will have more cost friendly and effective long term storage options available eventually. Thanks for the kind comments and input all around. Much respect and appreciation!

Welcome Lookwright.
    Those crates are a thing of beauty. Smooth sides and an elaborate front is the way to go.

• Thanks for the welcome LaserWolf.
    Much appreciation for you diggin' my crates.

So when I was working on the designs for the crates, I made a choice to make each part [front, back, and sides] interchangeable... as such, it would be possible to have the front and back panels from the milk crate styled crate with the sides from the solid style crate.

Is this perhaps what you were describing? If so, I actually do have that planned out... I'm just waiting to add it until I finally get some proper product shots overall later this week... [the 4 am at home cell phone lamp lit shots I've got now really aren't to my liking.]

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I had a 45 case custom made out of wood a few years back and I was surprised at how damn heavy it was. This was some crazy heavy tropical wood used by a carpenter back in Guinea but anyway, when I got it it was just too damn heavy to take it on a plane as carry-on, especially once I had the records in it. I then had the carpenter cut out all of the sides and line the inside of the skeleton with leather. The result was really fucking pretty... I can't seem to find any pictures and the case itself is not with me at the moment but this might be a good solution for your crates... just line the sides and bottom with leather. My old carpenter just glued the leather in there but maybe adding some sort of flat headed upholstery nails would be preferable. I bet you can get some real attractive color combinations with different woods and leathers. You could also do side panels that leave a larger section free to expose more of the leather and leave room to put on a logo with a customized heat transfers or even go all out and explore branding options...

Maybe make a version with a lid and a handle and you'd have a great carrying case. If there's a way to make the lid detachable you'd have another strong selling point. Most 45 cases don't have that and in those cramped dj booths those stupid lids often are in the way and limit your options on how to position the case.

I think these work better as furniture than carrying cases.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Found a pic of this thing:

I had this put together in a hurry because I had to fly from Guinea to NYC for a dj gig and didn't have a 45 case with me. Of course the workmanship and especially the metal ware is super crude but that's what the guy had in his shop...

I actually ended up using it quite often as the wood frame gives your 45s maximum protection when you put it in the overhead bin and other passengers squeeze their shit in next to it.

I'd most definitely much rather carry this thing around than any of the altogether super ugly 45 carrying cases that are available commercially.

• Damn Frank that's a 45 CHEST! lol

• So of course it failed. 

"Osandi is currently innovating crypto fintech."

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    He had a go at his own thing, so respect for trying to make something that he loved be his career.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3002935/vnylsts-osandi-robinson-learning-lead-virtually

But the real problem was obvious : His hat was too small.
    billbradleyskel