DEFEND YOUR HONOR BRITS

WRONG:
    Nottingham
    Manchester
    Leeds
    Liverpool*

ON POINT:
    ALL ELSE.

*[DO YOU EVEN LIVE THERE McCOY? YOU CHOSE GERMANY OVER IT. STAN BOARDMAN IS TURNING IN HIS GRAVE AND HE IS NOT EVEN DEAD.]

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Is Birmingham really that bad? The only time I've been, was from the airport to the train station.

• i can attest to dundee being fun and edinburgh being a mad god's dream. surely the rest must be absolutely truth.

• liverpool is...... THE place? or liverpool is the PLACE? surely it matters.

b/w

A 12-year-old schoolgirl has been accepted into Mensa after discovering she is brainier than both Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking.

Olivia Manning, from Liverpool, managed to get a whopping score in an IQ test of 162 - well above the 100 average.

Her score is not only two points better than genius German physicist Einstein and Professor Stephen Hawking, but puts her in the top one per cent of intelligent people in the world.

(Other sources: Liverpool Daily Post)

• DOR said:

i spoke to an everton supporting friend this afternoon and he was despondent. more man in hood than shouting mad. it was even pretty painful to watch with no vested interest, as though only one team had made it to the stadium.

vintageinfants said:
    only one team had made it to the stadium.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    vintageinfants said:
    DEFEND YOUR HONOR BRITS

WRONG:
    Nottingham
    Manchester
    Leeds
    Liverpool*

ON POINT:
    ALL ELSE.

Oxford is a tricky one as it's difficult to separate the University from the the city, but in terms of the metropolitan living experience, definitely (but then again I'm not sure who would actually rate the city as anything other than nice to look at and, uhmm, safe).
    In terms of the University, I'm not having it that an institution that combines a spot in the world's top ten with a Harry Potter film set can be over-rated.

Birmingham - it feels American in that it's dominated by big roads, lots of concrete, and consumerism in place of culture ;-) . It's historically important and the people are lovely, but that seems to be more inspite of Birmingham than because of it. Cracking curry scene too.

Norwich - small city, just over 365 pubs when I was there. It has all of the pros & cons of travelling back in time by 20 years. Sedate, but parochial. Nice vibe for a place to visit, but like Oxford I'd want to leave sooner rather than later.

Bristol - loved my visits there. Friendly, good pubs, good food, good night-life. The city seems to have been made using some hardcore black granite which is also a nice contrast to the white limestone of Oxford.

London - brilliant to visit, seems like a massive ballache living there, yet still feel that at some point in my life I should give it a go.

• ...and Brighton is a paradise.

Where art thou Paul & A*i?

Amazing season. 3 points separates the relegation spots from 11th place!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

That's actually a pretty rum do, though. Akie might be a weapons-grade oddball, but six weeks on remand only for the CPS to drop any charges does seem as if it might constitute the basis for a harrassment claim. Which would be very ironic indeed.

"99% white."

Pics here.

• BUZZFEED: The Superbowl Analysed by a Briton Who Has Never Seen American Football

buzzfeed is annoying but they pretty much nail it with this one. also, "analySed" must feel like a small victory.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    I was mad into the American "Hand-egg" game, until Channel 4 over here kind of lost the franchise to air the games at a reasonable hour.

I wake up years later to find Seattle representing the NFC(?!?!). Although I googled that today and apparently that's how it was in the beginning. I always liked the 'Hawks from the days of Kurt Warner and Steve Largent. I remember Largent coming off against the Lions at half-time during the "Strike" season, when he'd already racked up crazy numbers. It was a classy move.

• J i m s t e r said:
    I was mad into the American "Hand-egg" game, until Channel 4 over here kind of lost the franchise to air the games at a reasonable hour.

I wake up years later to find Seattle representing the NFC(?!?!). Although I googled that today and apparently that's how it was in the beginning. I always liked the 'Hawks from the days of Kurt Warner and Steve Largent. I remember Largent coming off against the Lions at half-time during the "Strike" season, when he'd already racked up crazy numbers. It was a classy move.

in your absentia, the guy who founded microsoft purchased the team, built a stadium that houses 80,000 drunk people and got teh one DeeRock of the strut to play records for them.

surely one if not all of these factors have led to their current success.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    My dudes, how's that Mourinho/idiot idea shaping up this morning?

::wink::

Fair play to Chelsea, did everything right. The season ain't over doe. Disappointed but not mad, City just not good enough last night.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    ^^ secret chelsea fan / mancrush revealed.

City were poor last night. Everyone knows Mou is a great manager, doesn't stop him from being an idiot.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    exciting game but not scoreline
    huge victory but it the grand scheme of things its not that significant yet
    demichaleis was very lazy on the goal
    hazard is a beast, cole is done (for big games)
    chelsea made smart transfer window moves (xcet mata)
    what about arsene's spending?
    arsenal is still doing very well with injuries wos compared to last season
    still city's title to lose

• pcmr said:
    still city's title to lose

I don't know why, but i've been hearing this a lot and it annoys me. Over half of the games have been played and Arsenal are still top of the league, it's not City's to lose since they're not even 1st...

I've never seen this angle before.

[Hansen voice]"Shawddy defendin'.[/HV]

Loudrock excused of his Swansea duties. Harsh, no? It's not like he scuppered them out of a CL jackpot ticket.

J i m s t e r said:
    Loudrock excused of his Swansea duties. Harsh, no? It's not like he scuppered them out of a CL jackpot ticket.

Supposedly the victim of a player's revolt. Not in a "lost the dressing room" kind of way, although I fail to see how it wouldn't be just such a scenario to some degree. But from what I hear, the squad has ganged up on him and leant on the chairman to get rid. Wahnsinn, as we say over here.

Weather. It's occurring:

Duderonomy said:
    Weather. It's occurring:

Saving a fortune on window cleaning, doe.

Man dem know dem i-habit perpetual flood planes; man should be all diversified into gennies, sandbags and tinned-food-by-dinghy delivery businesses since like, Avalon (no Roxy).

When man gives man lemons...

• J i m s t e r said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Weather. It's occurring:

Man dem know dem i-habit perpetual flood planes; man should be all diversified into gennies, sandbags and tinned-food-by-dinghy delivery businesses since like, Avalon (no Roxy).

WHERE

vintageinfants said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Weather. It's occurring:

WHERE

Notty-Bronx?

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    J i m s t e r said:

Supposedly the victim of a player's revolt. Not in a "lost the dressing room" kind of way, although I fail to see how it wouldn't be just such a scenario to some degree. But from what I hear, the squad has ganged up on him and leant on the chairman to get rid. Wahnsinn, as we say over here.

The squad has quite gone to schitt though since the CC trophy last year. Granted they have some injuries to contend with (Michu), but they have appeared to play half-ass for the past 10-12mos. In the first part of 2012/13, they were one of my favorite teams to watch, not so much this year.

That said, I do feel that the incentives for recurring mid-table teams seem really lacking - most teams are actively looking to avoid Europa, and so long as you make sure your 8-10pts above the bottom-feeders, and win your local derby, you basically just languish is "meh"-ness.

So to that extent, the CC cup for the Swans was probably the proverbial cherry-on-top that the supporters will likely see for the next few years.