Grammys

Comments

• 1% of eligible voters within the recording academy thought kendrick had the best rap album of the year. kanye 11%.

leaving drake, jay'z and macklemore to fight over what's left.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:

Not sure how dude can be accused of "stealing" one.

"It sucks that I robbed you" - Macklemore's own words.

• Hi. I'm a voting member.

I voted for Kendrick.

Carry on

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    Hi. I'm a voting member.

I voted for Kendrick.

Carry on

Who did you vote for in the Best Orchestral Performance field?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    You dudes/ladies sound like you do not dougie.

Nobody's force-feeding Macklemore down your throat, any more than you are forced Robin Thicke saying "Sing it brother" to the Chicago players last night. Or Madonna or any of these other white artists doing their thing; trying to prove their musical "legitimacy".

If you want to read any further into Macklemore's twitter comment, that's for TMZ and yall cats to do. I for one, believe those are sincere thoughts. "I shouldn't have won in a landslide victory with 3 grammys". Norah fuckin' Jones won like 5 or 6 if I am correct that one year.

You have that mentality watching this shit, you will lose every time.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Bon Vivant said:

Not sure how dude can be accused of "stealing" one.

"It sucks that I robbed you" - Macklemore's own words.

So what? He's not the one that voted.

• http://www.complex.com/music/2014/01/how-does-grammy-voting-work

Kinda fits in here. Maybe Thes can support or dispute this.

• Here is more or less my experience - after the initial rounds of nominations, you receive a very official ballot that is mailed to you from the academy and then you mail it to a third part accounting firm.

You also get the invite/opportunity to purchase tickets, for me I think they were about $200 this year. I have never been, maybe I'll go next year.

Day's album was in the ring for packaging, it got snubbed.

It's handled with all the pomp of an official election. Meh.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:

Day's album was in the ring for packaging,

Congrats to him and you. Well deserved.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Day's album was in the ring for packaging, it got snubbed.

DOPE.

• Herm said:
    that video that Rootless posted is very corny, but nowhere near as corny as a white dude changing his name to a more Black sounding name to hide his whiteness. .

Herm out here being petty as fuck

The reason for the backlash is not that grammys matter, or that cultural appropriation never happens, or that grammys never get wrongly awarded. Macklemore's success has been a simmering pot on the hip-hop stove (okay, blech, that was gross) for a minute now and people are finally coming into the realization that he is going to take all of their cookies and the backlash is more over that, in the broader cultural context, than about the grammys or even just Macklemore himself (although he didn't really help his own cause with those instagrams IMO).

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    staxwax said:
    fuck his PC gay is ok message

How he puts that sentiment across is whatever, but anyone who'd shit on the actual sentiment itself...

yeah of course. the subtleties of hating on sentiment without hating the actual sentiment. i cant wait for kanye to do a song embracing wallmart fashion and aesthetically challenged caucasians. oh the grandeur, forgiveness and inclusivity of it all, im welling up just typing this. solving the worlds problems, one horrid pop song at a time. how many grammys must get dissed?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Herm said:
    that video that Rootless posted is very corny, but nowhere near as corny as a white dude changing his name to a more Black sounding name to hide his whiteness. .

Herm out here being petty as fuck

Chal??. He took a jab so I took one too, with a fact that was related to the topic this thread devolved to. I keep shit like that in my pocket 'til fools get lippy with me. If I remember correctly you used to poke some fun at that fact back in the day too. (For the record, I never involved myself with that 'til now.)

Fuck it though.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    So much sweat in these pages. It's just the fuckin' Grammys, dudes.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    parallax said:

this will definitely be my last post in this thread - but if someone engages in conversation about the abomination that is the internationally published grammy music awards esp. in the rap category - on a music/rap themed message board - what could possibly be your problem?
    fall back.
    Also countering someone who has a negative opinion of something you like with comments which are the equivalent of 'stop player hating / get with the times' is tired af.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what are people angry about in this thread
    don't want to bother reading all of it

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    staxwax said:
    parallax said:

this will definitely be my last post in this thread - but if someone engages in conversation about the abomination that is the internationally published grammy music awards esp. in the rap category - on a music/rap themed message board - what could possibly be your problem?
    fall back.
    Also countering someone who has a negative opinion of something you like with comments which are the equivalent of 'stop player hating / get with the times' is tired af.

Sure.

But, do you lose your shit to poorly written articles in the NY Post, too?

Do you go to Old Navy and say "this season's crop is awful"?

I'm just a bit surprised that the Grammys hold any relevance to the group here is all.

Please, carry on.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ny post does not have poorly written articles

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    ny post does not have poorly written articles

Define "poorly written"! J/K.

I think we should keep this thread going, perhaps we can get Staxwax to dish another 500 so words on why he doesn't care.

I watched a good portion of show and, frankly, am a little upset at the lack of chatter about Bey's booty and Stevie Wonder playing with Daft Punk. Those were my personal highlights.

• Herm said:
    but nowhere near as corny as a white dude changing his name to a more Black sounding name to hide his whiteness. .

I always assumed Vanilla Ice was saying that he was cool and white.

• it's interesting that this "story" has seemingly touched a nerve...

Macklemore Is a Ho Bag

Last night at the Grammy awards, Macklemore beat out Kendrick Lamar for multiple "Best Rap" awards. Afterwards, Macklemore texted Kendrick an apology. Classy? On the contrary.

Let's leave aside the question of whether or not Macklemore "deserved" to win "Best Rap Album" and "Best Rap Song" of 2014. (No.) Let's also leave aside the question of whether or not Kendrick Lamar makes "better" hip hop music than Macklemore. (So obvious as to be undeserving of further explanation.) Let us simply address here Macklemore's actions last night, which were threefold:

1) He decided to attend the Grammys. There he won a bunch of awards. He accepted those awards with pleasure.

2) Later, after it was all over, he sent a text message to Kendrick Lamar, reading: "You got robbed. I wanted you to win. You should have. It's weird and sucks that I robbed you. I was gonna say that during the speech. Then the music started playing during my speech and I froze. Anyway, you know what it is. Congrats on this year and your music. Appreciate you as an artist and as a friend. Much love"

3) Macklemore put a photo of his private text message on Instagram to ensure that everyone saw it.

As to the question, "Is Macklemore a ho bag?" we may now answer, "Yes, he is." Consider the following alternative courses of action that he could have taken, all of which would have been less characteristic of a ho bag:

1) He could have boycotted the Grammy awards, which are for ho bags in general.

2) When called on stage to accept his award, he could have said, "This award belongs to Kendrick Lamar." (There is precedent for such a thing.)

3) He could have walked down from the stage and given his award to Kendrick Lamar.

4) If he was too flustered to do this on stage at the Grammy awards, he could have done it immediately after the Grammy awards.

5) During the performance of his song "Same Love" at the Grammy awards, he could have married Kendrick Lamar, and presented him with a very special ring???made out of the Grammy award for "Best Rap Album."

6) He could have sent Kendrick Lamar an apologetic text message without putting a photo of that text message on Instagram in a transparent ploy to win himself plaudits for his graciousness.

Macklemore did not do any of these things. Instead, he went to the ho bag Grammy awards, basked in the unblinking adulation of the cameras, accepted all of his awards, and then clumsily tried to insulate himself from the conversation about his own suitability for such awards that he knew would ensue, by apologizing for those awards in the most vainglorious possible way. I challenge anyone to construct a chain of events that more readily demonstrates the definition of "self-serving."

Macklemore has not yet given back the award he is very sorry he won.

Macklemore is not the world's greatest villain. Maybe he is a really nice guy. Maybe events are moving too fast for him. Maybe Macklemore is but a bit player caught up in the sweeping cultural drama that is at the intersection of hip hop, race, and pop culture. Then again, Macklemore is not a role model. Macklemore is not some real cool guy. Macklemore is just some guy who makes catchy songs, sells Dr. Pepper, and gives bad apologies.

Don't be like Macklemore.

http://gawker.com/macklemore-is-a-ho-bag-1509862810

i think bassie kind of hit the nail on the head when she posted that this fellow parodies and is ironic about his "white privilege" but when it really comes down to it, he relies on that very "white priviledge" to carry him.

• the whole airing-out-a-private-message-on-your-instagram-to-show-how-down-you-are....I just...I can't...the mind boggles at how little dude a move that is.

Like, it's probably the most embarrassing thing that could have emerged from this whole thing, and yet he did it -- himself, having even had several hours to premeditate it....it's just...beyond lame.

• i dont wrestle with white guilt ever. i constantly wrestle with the fact that shitty things happen to undeserving people every single day, music awards being the very least of them.

• vintageinfants said:
    i dont wrestle with white guilt ever. i constantly wrestle with the fact that shitty things happen to undeserving people every single day, music awards being the very least of them.

oh so now you're gonna go and try to make us all feel petty up in here???

nice try, buddy.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    i dont wrestle with white guilt ever. i constantly wrestle with the fact that shitty things happen to undeserving people every single day.

^^^This times a zillion^^^

• rootlesscosmo said:
    vintageinfants said:
    i dont wrestle with white guilt ever. i constantly wrestle with the fact that shitty things happen to undeserving people every single day, music awards being the very least of them.

oh so now you're gonna go and try to make us all feel petty up in here???

i think the association between "white guilt" and "the grammys" is petty, yes.

when i watch a documentary about how the NCAA ensures that young black athletes have to sign contracts stating that old white men can ruin their life if they dont work for free i dont for a second associate myself with the latter. i feel absolutely gutted for those effected, but why should i feel guilty?

invoking "white guilt", a term so inextricably linked to abominable human rights infractions when talking about some corn ball selling out more than his peers is insane.

it's a dude i've never met, and never have, playing both sides and capitalizing off of NUMEROUS visible minority groups to vault himself into personal success. that has nothing to do with me.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

Vintageinfants knows what's up.

• oh I thought you were on some stop-complaining-about-the-grammy's-there's-bigger-problems-in-the-world, an attitude that would, you know, apply to every discussion on soulstrut.

but yeah I never really involved in the white guilt aspect of this thread; carry on.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    it's a dude i've never met, and never have, playing both sides and capitalizing off of NUMEROUS visible minority groups to vault himself into personal success. that has nothing to do with me.

You Sound White

• rootlesscosmo said:
    oh I thought you were on some stop-complaining-about-the-grammy's-there's-bigger-problems-in-the-world, an attitude that would, you know, apply to every discussion on soulstrut.

but yeah I never really involved in the white guilt aspect of this thread; carry on.

haha. surely i get more credit than THAT.

to speak to the matter on a "soulstrut only" basis, WE all know this is some corny ass shit, while apparently more than a majority of the voting members tend to disagree (I SEE YOU THES!).

BUT..... 1%. goodkid m.a.a.d. city got ONE PERCENT of the best album votes. it doesn't mean we're wrong, it just means it has nothing to do with us.

and sadly, the more this little drama plays out the better it looks for macklemore. it has caused the "real hip hop" community to delve into the same sputtering and ranting that we've all made fun of kanye west for - seeking validation from a group of people you dont like to begin with.