Grammys

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    . They're sometimes "thrift stores," but I swear they're most commonly called "secondhand stores" here. "Value Village" is kinda the Escalator Kleenex of them too.

We call 'em all thrift stores here. Luckily mom and dad kept us one step above those growing up, strictly K-Mart for us. I don't know anybody that calls 'em "second hand stores," even when the stores call themselves that.

• dukeofdelridge said:

ADDENDUM: I'm definitely not comfortable with the Seahawks/Macklemore/Seattleizm right now. I'm having a hard time.

It's been VERY tough to stomach these last 2 wks. Seems like if you rep Seattle and are a complete douchebag you are inexplicably winning the internet right now.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    ketan said:
    LaserWolf said:

popshlock?

etymology pls

Sorry should have been popschlock. Thanks for catching that.
    And if not clear, that would mean schlocky pop.
    And if that is not clear schlock is yiddish meaning cheap. Cheap yet glittery.
    Thus a bad song or singer with a polished arrangment. Of a flashy singer with no soul. Or a showy rapper with no flow.
    Kapisch?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Seems like if you rep Seattle and are a complete douchebag you are inexplicably winning the internet right now.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Herm said:
    dukeofdelridge said:
    . They're sometimes "thrift stores," but I swear they're most commonly called "secondhand stores" here. "Value Village" is kinda the Escalator Kleenex of them too.

We call 'em all thrift stores here. Luckily mom and dad kept us one step above those growing up, strictly K-Mart for us. I don't know anybody that calls 'em "second hand stores," even when the stores call themselves that.

SODA OR POP OR COKE?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    his music is really, really bad, dude.

I dunno that it's "really, really bad". I thought the album was OK, although I haven't listened to a note of it since I reviewed it. Thrift Shop was obviously going to be a huge international hit, and the lasting impression I got from the rest was of something destined to find an audience amongst people who liked the idea (or an idea) of rap but couldn't get to grips with the music on anything like its own terms. That's pretty much what's happened, but the sheer size and reach of its success blindsided a lot of people, myself included. I'd have bet on him going the way of Asher Roth.

To address Laser Wolf's question, I personally don't think rap's core audience gives that much of a fuck about a rapper's ethnicity anymore. Certainly not as much as they might once have done. While I'd be willing to bet that, amongst the people who buy Eminem's records, he's probably the only rapper most of them seriously listen to, his standing amongst black listeners and other rappers gives him a level of legitimacy that Macklemore couldn't buy. So he didn't buy it, and instead bypassed the long-established route for white-boy rappers, whereby their credibility depends on a cosign from established black artists or a black audience.

Add to that a number of songs which adopt a somewhat high-minded, lecturing attitude towards topics like homophobia and rampant materialism, which happens to chime with the outlook held by many people who don't really listen to much rap, and it's only a short walk from there to the idea that this is actually a calculated artistic and commercial position he's taking - selling a neutered Pat Boone version of hip-hop to the same people who call Kanye an arrogant, no-talent jackass (even though 'Ye's making some of the most audacious music to be found anywhere in the mainstream, and was calling out homophobia in rap ten years ago).

• macklemore rapz feel unamerican.... as though we're going to find out he's from saskatchewan at any minute. matter of fact, basically everything out of the pacific northwest has a distinctly canadian malaise to them.

b/w "cola"

vintageinfants said:
    matter of fact, basically everything out of the pacific northwest has a distinctly canadian malaise to them.
    This is the most offensive thing I've ever read on The Strut. Hoser.

vintageinfants said:
    b/w "cola"

That too.

fuck this place i'm gonna pop some tags

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    volumen said:
    alieNDN said:
    haha, this thread is classic strut, like emo-rap threads of yesteryears...

what happened to all the graemlins? I remember when i created the "5 pager graemlin", there was a dude said it was pointless as it would be infrequently used as threads don't often go that long. well guess what? 5 pager mofo!

How about one of those upside down pics with Macklemore turning into Madonna or Jesus or something.

Ha, haven't done that in years...

...apparently Cheech Marin once played "Jesus Montea" in Rude Awakening...now I know why I haven't done that in years...)

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Does "pop some tags" mean he's switching prices or stealing shit from the thrift store? That part confuses me.
    "Popping tags" means showing off labels. Like, flipping the tags outward so that people can see who made your clothes.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    macklemore rapz feel unamerican.... as though we're going to find out he's from saskatchewan at any minute. matter of fact, basically everything out of the pacific northwest has a distinctly canadian malaise to them.

b/w "cola"

Agreed. I feel as if he's a crypto-Saskatoonian and it bothers me something fierce.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    james said:
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Does "pop some tags" mean he's switching prices or stealing shit from the thrift store? That part confuses me.
    "Popping tags" means showing off labels. Like, flipping the tags outward so that people can see who made your clothes.

I always thought it meant popping the price tags, i.e., buying and wearing new clothes every day.

• dukeofdelridge said:
    vintageinfants said:
    matter of fact, basically everything out of the pacific northwest has a distinctly canadian malaise to them.
    This is the most offensive thing I've ever read on The Strut. Hoser.

yes..... YES...... embrace your anger.... your loathe of all things canuck only compels you further towards becoming a canadian......

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    alieNDN said:
    volumen said:
    alieNDN said:

what happened to all the graemlins? I remember when i created the "5 pager graemlin", there was a dude said it was pointless as it would be infrequently used as threads don't often go that long. well guess what? 5 pager mofo!

How about one of those upside down pics with Macklemore turning into Madonna or Jesus or something.

...apparently Cheech Marin once played "Jesus Montea" in Rude Awakening...now I know why I haven't done that in years...)

this is what the games been missing.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    1. I thought it meant pulling the tags off clothes. Like you bought so many clothes that weeks later when you're ready to rock that specific item you first pop the tags off.

2. "Coke."

3. So glad AlieNDN came back to bless us with that.

• "Pop Some Tags":

1) When a cool dude goes shopping, the removal of the tags is a remarkable event. The whole shopping experience can be summarized by this defining moment. Literally, poppin' tags is removing tags typically after purchasing, but in a broader sense this phrase encompasses "going shopping."

2) Swapping price tags for lesser value - note there is significantly less poppin' sound since someone is doing an illegal activity that is equivalent to shoplifting.
    1) "Damn, that dude is such a baller, with all his tag poppin, it sounds like Chinese New Year - he must have dropped 4g's."

"Yo, in that song Thriftstore, Macklemore throws out ???Pop some tags??? - do you think he's switching tags with cheaper items or buying?"
    "Macklemore has the highest respect for thrift stores and would not be stealing from them. Especially since he's getting such an incredible deal while looking incredible. He says he only has 20 dollars in his pocket and he demonstrates that this is enough to look incredible without screwing over the thrift store. It???s pretty clear that preponderance of the evidence leads a viewer to conclude when Macklemore rolls into a thrift store, he pays a price that is openly agreed upon with the store."

2) "Why did John get arrested this time?"
    "The dumbshit was poppin' tags and the store video recorded him swapping a price tag of 12 dollar pair of socks onto a 900 dollar suit. As soon as he left the store, and undercover cop nabbed his ass."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pop some tags

crabmongerfunk said:

TRU CANADAMANS REVEALED!

And holy shit flip'n'cheech is HOTT!

and VI's Canadacomment really did get me angry, which means it's fucking truth. God dammit. Narcissism of small differences. My reaction to being called a Canadian is proof that I'm pretty much a Canadian. I've been to therapy dude holy shit I have to call my parents.

I like the Grammy's thraed now.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    james said:
    dukeofdelridge said:

I always thought it meant popping the price tags, i.e., buying and wearing new clothes every day.

He's actually talking about cutting off a corpse's toe in order to dispose of the tag. I know because my coworker's friend told me. By the way, it's "labels". Expensive clothes have labels. Tags only tell you how to wash the clothes (in case you spill fizz on yourself) and which trans-Pacific country made them. Side note: I read a blog the other day about how the Italian celebrity elite during the late 60s-early 70s at exclusive Rome clubs would order "gin fizzes" as code for eight balls of coke. You learn something new everyday.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Electrode said:
    james said:
    dukeofdelridge said:
    "pop some tags"
    "Popping tags"
    He's actually talking about cutting off a corpse's toe in order to dispose of the tag.

Yea, I know it to mean accumulating trophies/rep associated with doing murders. But I guess the shopping thing makes more sense for the song in question.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    I like the Grammy's thraed now.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Or is it because his music is popshlock?

It's not because he's white it's because he's pop music. Just because you rap in a song doesn't make it rap music. Katty Perry has actual rappers in some of her songs but they would never put her songs in the rap category for the Grammys. It's the Jethro Tull heavy metal thing all over again.

Mackelmore could have handled it a lot better and look bad trying so hard to be down. He could have just said "I'm not really rap music but hey that's the Grammys sometimes and I appreciate the recognition. Remember Jethro Tull? amiright people!"

james said:
    dukeofdelridge said:

I thought it was switching tags as I had a family member teach me that as a kid. We later agreed it was wrong. It seems odd you would show off in thrift store clothes, but I think he's referring to when you get lucky and find something good in a thrift store. Which is rare.

alieNDN said:
    volumen said:
    alieNDN said:

Nice, did not see that coming!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    The audience's awkward awful dancing was awful and awkward.

^^^^^^CAN NOT DOUGIE.

DocMcCoy said:
    james said:
    dukeofdelridge said:

Regional usage may vary, I guess.

When I first became aware of the phrase several years back, it was used in a context similar to (and kind of an extension of) what I know as the West Coast usage of "popping your collar." That is, it's not literal--"popping tags" doesn't mean you're actually walking around with your labels hanging out, just like "popping your collar" doesn't mean that you're actually walking around with your collar turned up--it's just a little two- or three-fingered reach-and-flick that you give to whatever you're wearing, to let folks know that you're feeling yourself a lil' bit, you know?

To the extent that I ever see or hear folks out here use "popping tags," it's never really as a quantity/newness thing ("Ooh, look at at how many clothes I have--shit still had the price tag on it!") as much as it is a quality/flavor thing ("Ooh, look at how fly my shit is--check out the label!").

But that, of course, is just my experience out here. I keep to a pretty small circuit, though, and I'm sure there are places where those phrases are used literally and/or mean something else entirely (case in point: where I grew up in the south, "popping someone's collar" meant fucking them up). Like I said, shit's regional.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    james said:
    (case in point: where I grew up in the south, "popping someone's collar" meant fucking them up).

Wait, you grew up in the South? Where?

HarveyCanal said:
    james said:
    (case in point: where I grew up in the south, "popping someone's collar" meant fucking them up).

Upstate South Carolina. From when I was nine until sometime deep in my twenties.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    james said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    james said:

Upstate South Carolina. From when I was nine until sometime deep in my twenties.

Intwesting.

• james said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    james said:

Bob Jones represent!