Grammys

12346»

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    SouthCrackalack said:
    james said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    james said:
    (case in point: where I grew up in the south, "popping someone's collar" meant fucking them up).

Wait, you grew up in the South? Where?
    Upstate South Carolina. From when I was nine until sometime deep in my twenties.

Bob Jones represent!
    Oh shit. What's up, H***h!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    mrmatthew said:

Thanks.

Here is the dirty secret about the grammys.
    Many of watch it, most of us are familiar with the artists and songs.
    A good bit of our outrage is thus ironic. Apparently we do care, despite all our denials.

I watched about an hour and half. I am one of the few who don't know most of the (newer) artists or songs.
    Really the only one I did know was Royals, which I kinda like in a pop way, and I gather that makes me a bad person.

Moving along. The Highwaymen did not make an appearance. 2 living members performed with 2 other c/w stars.
    I thought Kris was kind of unprofessional, not working through tech problems. Merle and Willie were great of course, and Kris never toured and performed like the others.

I can't see where anything about Katy Perry is country. Seems she should be in the same category as the Taylor Swifts.

Paul and Ringo were pathetic and so was Yoko. Photograph was a terrible song when it came out, but not as bad as Paul's new stuff. While I am sure Paul would like to think differently the only reason they were all there is because the Beatles back catalog is getting a new reissue.

My favorite part was Pink on the Trapeze. Greatest show of talent after the Stevie, Niles, Daft Punk. (that I saw.)

What I really want to know is, how do you get a job at the grammys, or super bowl, standing in front of the stage waving your hands and pretending you like the performance? and what does it pay?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    mrmatthew said:

mannnnnnnnnn trip on thisssssss:
    the one guy's is undanceable, this new guy's is TOO danceable...

legalweedbro everything is everything and so it goes

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    yeah I heard some rapp songs for sure "pop your collar" does not turn out good for the other guy

which is why I'm like why is Macklemore popping tags?

Now I see. Sorta.

POP QUIZ
    WHICH SEATTLEITE IS A WORSE LOOK FOR BLACKMUSIC APPROPRIATION:

• mrmatthew said:

bunch of bullshit if you ask me. the principle fallacy of this comparison is it's failure to acknowledge the most important or meaningful differences between brubeck and mackelmore: brubeck was not only proficient on his instrument but innovative and influential on other musicians, he had a long and productive career and we still talk about some things that he created over 50 years aggo, whereas i don't think any of those things can or will be said of the other. Brubeck is "an artist and pioneer", macklemore is simply on some celebrity, novelty, reality tv style con.i can't believe people get paid to write this crap.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    mrmatthew said:

bunch of bullshit if you ask me. the principle fallacy of this comparison is it's failure to acknowledge the most important or meaningful differences between brubeck and mackelmore: brubeck was not only proficient on his instrument but innovative and influential on other musicians, whereas i don't think any of those things can be said of the other. Brubeck is "an artist and pioneer", macklemore is simply on some celebrity, novelty, reality tv style con. i can't believe people get paid to write this crap.

They only get paid when you call now at 1800 XXX-XXXX and pledge your support for this kind of crap to be written.
    Tote-Bag funded journalism

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    mrmatthew said:

Moving along. The Highwaymen did not make an appearance. 2 living members performed with 2 other c/w stars.
    I thought Kris was kind of unprofessional, not working through tech problems. Merle and Willie were great of course, and Kris never toured and performed like the others.

Lol, Kris makes movies where you stop and start over every time there is a mistake.

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    "Rare bottoms by the barrel,
    Pop the Giuseppe tags, like it's American Apparel."

- Rozay

(BTW - No Grammys)

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    rain103 said:
    "Rare Red bottoms by the barrel,

- Rozay

Red bottoms = Louboutins

• bassie said:
    rain103 said:
    "Rare Red bottoms by the barrel,

- Rozay

Red bottoms = Louboutins

You are correct. Typo.

• Drake was right about Mackl'amour in that RS article but he's a whole bitch for disowning it

And a trifling one at that for complaining that he lost the cover to Philip Seymour Hoffman.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Drake was right about Mackl'amour in that RS article but he's a whole bitch for disowning it

exactly.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    rain103 said:

Jesus...

• bassie said:
    And a trifling one at that for complaining that he lost the cover to Philip Seymour Hoffman.

so petty

Faux_Rillz would be proud

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    From OUT's profile of Blood Orange:

In an era of what some of have called ???gay-baiting pop,??? in which chart-topping divas like Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, and Pink (and even newcomer rapper Macklemore) almost seem to be cashing in on recent struggles for LGBT rights ??? pulling out increasingly outrageous, campy ensembles and releasing sloganeering gay anthems to advertise their open-mindedness and advocacy ??? a sophisticated, almost unintentional nod to queerness like Cupid Deluxe feels like a breath of fresh air. It???s a document of one artist???s struggle with anxiety, newfound fame, relationships, and his past, but it often sounds buoyant and liberating.

http://www.out.com/entertainment/music/2014/02/10/how-devonte-hynes-blood-orange-saved-pop-music?page=0,4

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Faux_Rillz would be proud
    No kidding. Let's count it off:

A rapper (ding!) from another country (ding!) in the pages of a print publication (ding!), asshurt (ding!) about being preempted by the death of a white (ding!) New-York-City-based (ding!) movie (ding!) actor.

Come back to the internet, Danny Verde, Danny Verde.

I am not a fan of Blood Orange on the whole, but the acoustic version of Bad Girls is staggering.

white_tea said:
    From OUT's profile of Blood Orange:

In an era of what some of have called ???gay-baiting pop,??? in which chart-topping divas like Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, and Pink (and even newcomer rapper Macklemore) almost seem to be cashing in on recent struggles for LGBT rights ??? pulling out increasingly outrageous, campy ensembles and releasing sloganeering gay anthems to advertise their open-mindedness and advocacy ??? a sophisticated, almost unintentional nod to queerness like Cupid Deluxe feels like a breath of fresh air. It???s a document of one artist???s struggle with anxiety, newfound fame, relationships, and his past, but it often sounds buoyant and liberating.

http://www.out.com/entertainment/music/2014/02/10/how-devonte-hynes-blood-orange-saved-pop-music?page=0,4
    Man, I really wanted to like that record.

• did i see this here or somewhere else?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Blood Orange - I really like all of his fairly straight 80s R&B-sounding tunes, "It Is What It Is" and "Chosen" most of all; can't really stomach any of the trip-hop style rapping by whomever else is on the album. I also was happy to hear that he was working with Jessie Ware on her new record, so maybe I am just a bland person that's into adult contemporary. I'm OK with that. ;)

• DocMcCoy said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    his music is really, really bad, dude.

I dunno that it's "really, really bad". I thought the album was OK,

really? I found the whole thing pretty repellent.

the overwrought preachiness, the pisspoor rapping, even the corny title ("The Heist" - oooooooh!)

and don't get me started on his boy. besides his total lack of imagination as a beat-maker, CHOOSE A FUCKING RAPP NAME DUDE. even a wack one, like "Macklemore" or something.

only thing more obnoxious than an obnoxious rapp name is a dude who obnoxiously goes by his gov't name. especially among DJs, I always found that to be the height of self-important douchebaggery.