Non-Music Podcasts

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited August 2010 in Strut Central
Driving down to LA and am looking for some podcasts to help pass the time on I-5 during those stretches where all that's on the radio is Christian/Norteno/Clear Channel. (Not to hate on any of these options -- okay maybe the 3rd one -- but you know that shit gets old after an hour or so.....)

Lectures, current events, politics, music, etc.....

Which websites have good podcasts?

Thanks.

Comments

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    NPR's Car Talk if you want to hear two old mechanics try to help people solve their car problems.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    If you're interested in world affairs, you can get a digital version of the economist online

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    mr.brett said:
    If you're interested in world affairs, you can get a digital version of the economist online

an audio podcast?

mr.brett said:
    NPR's Car Talk if you want to hear two old mechanics try to help people solve their car problems.

some useful info on that show but I can't stand the incessant cackling that pervades the program.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    A friend just turned me on to these pocasts from a professor up at Stanford who does a radio show called Entitled Opinions.
    Lectures and interviews that range in topic from Dante and classic literature to philosophy and 20th century authors, to topics like Hendrix and The Doors.
    So far I've listened to the one on The Doors and also one on Musil's Man Without Qualities, and found both to be really enjoyable, mind-expanding distractions while driving.

http://french-italian.stanford.edu/opinions/

Thanks dude.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    RADIO LAB. RADIO LAB. RADIO LAB.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    99Problems said:
    RADIO LAB. RADIO LAB. RADIO LAB.

The extraneous noises and extra, unnecessary dialogue drove my ADD-addled brain nuts at first... but the content is so great that I eventually got over it, and am almost done listening to them.

I'm assuming This American Life is a given? But you can only download the current week's broadcast for free I think.

• Options
    If you're into sports Bill Simmons at espn.com has some interesting podcasts. And he's not limited to sports. He's had Chuck Klosterman and some UFC people on. (The UFC not being a real sport and all.)

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    60 Minutes - great if you don't have time to watch it, most old episodes are still relevant
    KCRW To The Point - top shelf news/political discussion
    Freakonomics - like the book(s)

The Moth - interesting short stories/memoirs, similar to This American Life, ridiculously long intro/outro for a 12 minute podcast

Leo Laporte The Tech Guy - latest computer/smart phone/home theater news with tech support calls

Comedy Death Ray - the recent Bob Odenkirk interview was cool if you're into Mr. Show
    Doug Loves Movies - functional stoner talks movies with comedians in front of a UCB audience

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I find the No Agenda show very entertaining.

http://noagenda.mevio.com/

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    if you have any interest in video games/gaming culture, this is highly recommended...

http://alifewellwasted.com/

• I was coming to post Comedy Death Ray, so I second that suggestion. Also, The Best Show on WFMU: http://www.wfmu.org/podcast/BS.xml

• Not sure if these are all available in the U.S., but always worth a listen are:

- In Our Time (BBC Radio 4)
    - From Our Own Correspondent (BBC Radio 4)
    - Football Weekly (Guardian)
    - New Yorker Fiction Podcast

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    another great series. character actor Stephen Tobolowsky (groundhog day, deadwood, glee) tells stories about his life and hollywood. really interesting listen, and a great storyteller.

http://www.slashfilm.com/category/features/slashfilmcast/the-tobolowsky-files/

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Marc Maron's WTF
    http://wtfpod.com/

very funny and often insightful.

bull_ox said:

I'm assuming This American Life is a given? But you can only download the current week's broadcast for free I think.

I can't fuck with Ira Glass' voice/smarmy talking style. Like I'd much, much rather just read a transcript of his show than listen to him talk. He drives me insane with that shit and it's unfortunately proven sorta infectious among younger NPR contributors: more and more of them have started to sound like him.

thanks guys; these are good suggestions.

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    Bill Burr Monday Morning Podcast

The Adam Carolla Show

Sklarbro Country

Cosign Comedy Death-Ray, WTF (probably my favorite) & Doug Loves Movies.

Just listened to The Entitled Opinions episode on Karl Marx, thanks for the heads up on that show.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    img src="https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000082961670/5d648182a3e6d1e87a1e354f72ac682d.jpeg
    " alt="" />

I love this podcast. Corny ass hilarious dudes interviewing the likes of Big Daddy Kane, the founder of Worldstarr HipHop, etc etc...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/champs-neal-brennan-+-moshe/id450453090?mt=2

I can't recommend the Big Daddy Kane interview enough. Seems like this could be right down some Strutteurs respective alleys.

• Brennan wrote for Chappelle iirc.

But listening to this Too Short podcast, I wish the two goofy white dudes would stop thinking they're so hilarious and get the fuck out of the legend's way.

• for teh lulz, I recommend Desus vs. Mero

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Ive been enjoying:

Welcome to Night Vale (oddly entertaining radio serial)
    BBC radio 4 - A History Of the World in 100 objects
    The Nerdist Podcast

Also, the BBC World Service has some really great podcasts/Documentaries.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    My favorite, Never Not Funny, goes free in two weeks. There will still be premium content (that I'm definitely gonna continue to pay for), but give it a shot if you've never listened. Jimmy Pardo is awesome, and you can marvel at his horrific musical tastes. NNF is a must-listen (watch) every week for me. The man just makes me laugh so much.

Jen Kirkman's I Seem Fun is great too.

Still checking in with BillyBoy Burr, Todd Glass, WTR, WTF, Fitzsimmons, Bonnie and Vos. More structured I'll listen to PFT, Sklars, Dana Gould and the occasional 90210-bad movies-nerdfest comedy podcasts. Welcome To Nightvale is supposed to be great, but I can't peel myself away from comedy castz bros

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    There are only 2 podcasts that I listen to without fail.

My favorite podcast of all time is "The Infinite Monkey Cage". Celebrity astrophysicist Brian Cox and comedian Robin Ince are the hosts and each podcast has a panel of 4 people who are also a mix of comedians and scientists. It's a smart mix of british comedy and science. It is laugh out loud funny and thought provoking at the same time. I can't recomend it highly enough. My only compaint is that they only do 8 podcasts per season.

My other favorite is a weekly podcast called The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe which is a show dedicated to science, critical thinking, reason, and skepticism. It is an hour long, there are 5 hosts. Try a few episodes out, and it will either grow on you or it won't.

I can't listen to any NPR podcasts. The way they talk and the music and sound effects, it so dripping with schmaltzy 'quirkiness' that I just don't have the patience for any of it. Overproduced? I hear so much about radiolab so I tried it but I just couldn't sit through it.

• Check out Kevin Smith's smodcast network...

• Probably not hipster enough for most people here but Adam Carolla show and the Artie Lange show are hilarious day in day out.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Gary said:
    There are only 2 podcasts that I listen to without fail.

My favorite podcast of all time is "The Infinite Monkey Cage". Celebrity astrophysicist Brian Cox and comedian Robin Ince are the hosts and each podcast has a panel of 4 people who are also a mix of comedians and scientists. It's a smart mix of british comedy and science. It is laugh out loud funny and thought provoking at the same time. I can't recomend it highly enough. My only compaint is that they only do 8 podcasts per season.

My other favorite is a weekly podcast called The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe which is a show dedicated to science, critical thinking, reason, and skepticism. It is an hour long, there are 5 hosts. Try a few episodes out, and it will either grow on you or it won't.

I can't listen to any NPR podcasts. The way they talk and the music and sound effects, it so dripping with schmaltzy 'quirkiness' that I just don't have the patience for any of it. Overproduced? I hear so much about radiolab so I tried it but I just couldn't sit through it.

Have you listened to Probably Science? I do occasionally and it's a similar setup. I'm gonna check this Monkey Infinity for sure. Thanks!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Nobody listens to Joe rogan's podcast? It's great for the most part. I bail when he interviews mma guys. Cosign on the monday morning podcast with Bill burr. Great! robert kelly's - you know what dude is good.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Nobody listens to Joe rogan's podcast? It's great for the most part. I bail when he interviews mma guys. Cosign on the monday morning podcast with Bill burr. Great! robert kelly's - you know what dude is good.