Strut Studios 2014

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited January 2014 in Strut Central
I've spent the last few months getting my new spot up and running. let's see some gear pron.

Comments

• Ballin!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    :face_melt:

• Looks like heaven!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    new build

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    siiiiique!!

That's a huge room. I don't even want to know what the rent is. Are you hanging clouds? The ceiling looks tough to treat.

We went for room, over a mixing board. If you're not using a trident or better, why bother?

I'm still looking to a better D/A. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good bang/buck ratio?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    kala said:
    new build

Boss moves right here. Delay is killin' it as well.

All the best for a very successful 2014, fellas!

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    damn...i was pretty happy with my 11x11 bedroom studio with my C shaped custom desk....

i guess the jokes on me, ha!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Congrats Tom.
    You have really built a nice space filled with cool gear.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    looking really nice!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Well, my "studio" can't compare in the slightest. In fact, to illustrate that point, I will ask a question of severe li'l dude studio status.

I have a high-pitched noise in my right monitor (Yamaha HS80M) that, if I had to compare it to something, I would say is data transfer/hard drive noise. After all sorts of troubleshooting, here's what I know (my setup is an iMac with Mbox Pro connected via FireWire, and a USB external drive for all Pro Tools sessions. All audio runs through the Mbox, and everything is plugged into a power conditioner):

1) It's not the monitor itself. If I turn on the monitor...no noise. It's only once I turn on the Mbox (which the monitor is hooked up to) that I get any noise at all, and then the noise intensifies a bit once I actually fire up Pro Tools and the Mbox starts sending/receiving data.

2) It's not the speaker cable. I've swapped it out and even bought new ones, and the noise stays the same.

3) It's not the connection on the Mbox. I've tried plugging the cable into other Speaker Out connections (the Mbox Pro has three sets of Speaker Outs), and the noise is there no matter what.

Is the monitor maybe picking up noise from other cables? Like I said, the noise gets worse once Pro Tools is running and drawing audio data from my external hard drive. There is a bunch of stuff plugged into the Mbox (L/R monitors, MIDI in/out, 4 line-ins from my sampler, 2 line-ins from my DJ mixer, power cable, connection from Mbox to my computer), plus the power cable for my external drive and the USB connection from external drive to computer). In my various studio re-configurations, I tried to keep the cable going from the Mbox to the noisy monitor as far away from the other cables as possible, but there's no way for them to not be at least somewhat near each other. But the thing is, the cable to my left (non-noisy) monitor passes over/under/next to way more power and audio cables than the cable to my right (noisy) monitor with no ill effects.

So I'm kinda stumped. Fortunately, the noise isn't that bad--once I start playing back audio, I don't even hear it--but it's just enough to be annoying and make me want to get rid of it, but nothing I do helps. Any ideas?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Delay,

Here is the current home studio setup:

Two Stanton ST-150 direct-drive turntables and Gemini PS-626USB Mixer

Samson A8 Studio Monitors and I-Mac 21"

Zoom R16 Audio Interface

Logic 9 on an I-Mac 21"

Ensoniq ASR-10 and the Korg Triton Extreme

Drum set

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    I don't even know if this will attach properly of not, I have been trying to get better quality shots with my ipod with its panoramic settings, but maybe that's part of my problem, here is my embarrassment compared to what is going on in here..

• it's not the size of the boat...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Well, my "studio" can't compare in the slightest. In fact, to illustrate that point, I will ask a question of severe li'l dude studio status.

I have a high-pitched noise in my right monitor (Yamaha HS80M) that, if I had to compare it to something, I would say is data transfer/hard drive noise. After all sorts of troubleshooting, here's what I know (my setup is an iMac with Mbox Pro connected via FireWire, and a USB external drive for all Pro Tools sessions. All audio runs through the Mbox, and everything is plugged into a power conditioner):

1) It's not the monitor itself. If I turn on the monitor...no noise. It's only once I turn on the Mbox (which the monitor is hooked up to) that I get any noise at all, and then the noise intensifies a bit once I actually fire up Pro Tools and the Mbox starts sending/receiving data.

2) It's not the speaker cable. I've swapped it out and even bought new ones, and the noise stays the same.

3) It's not the connection on the Mbox. I've tried plugging the cable into other Speaker Out connections (the Mbox Pro has three sets of Speaker Outs), and the noise is there no matter what.

Is the monitor maybe picking up noise from other cables? Like I said, the noise gets worse once Pro Tools is running and drawing audio data from my external hard drive. There is a bunch of stuff plugged into the Mbox (L/R monitors, MIDI in/out, 4 line-ins from my sampler, 2 line-ins from my DJ mixer, power cable, connection from Mbox to my computer), plus the power cable for my external drive and the USB connection from external drive to computer). In my various studio re-configurations, I tried to keep the cable going from the Mbox to the noisy monitor as far away from the other cables as possible, but there's no way for them to not be at least somewhat near each other. But the thing is, the cable to my left (non-noisy) monitor passes over/under/next to way more power and audio cables than the cable to my right (noisy) monitor with no ill effects.

So I'm kinda stumped. Fortunately, the noise isn't that bad--once I start playing back audio, I don't even hear it--but it's just enough to be annoying and make me want to get rid of it, but nothing I do helps. Any ideas?

Make sure all 1/4" cables you use are TRS. Try not to cross power cables and audio cables. If they are poorly insulated you'll definitely get interference.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:

Make sure all 1/4" cables you use are TRS. Try not to cross power cables and audio cables. If they are poorly insulated you'll definitely get interference.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Can the MBox run USB? And is the noise there when the hard drive is disconnected?

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    I'm loving that huge flatscreen TV for protools Delay!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Looking good Delay... keep up the good work.

Here's my lil' dude setup. Spent 2013 learnin', gonna spend 2014 doin'... and more learnin'

• Delay your setup looks dope, so many monitors for the eyes and ears. The speakers in the middle look pretty close together though, how does that sound?
    I have some gear but not much space.
    Attached files

• I just finished this video of me doing a bunch of tracking in my space. New song written on new years day. Recording audio and video at the same time was hard..

Amps and reverb in the same place I keep my socks.
    Attached files

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    wow. you do have some gear! your pedal game looks serious. love the la-610! we should trade remixes.

the monitors in the center are great for referencing a low volume stereo mix. the tweeters are as far apart as your's ontthat desk

• Mr Delay! I've been bumping Ten Indians daily at ridiculous volume levels! Thanks for a great album!!

Gear pics coming...

Kyle

• Delay said:
    wow. you do have some gear! your pedal game looks serious. love the la-610! we should trade remixes.

the monitors in the center are great for referencing a low volume stereo mix. the tweeters are as far apart as your's ontthat desk

Nice man yeah send me a pm, haven't done remixing really but would like to try it out. I'll check out your album too.

I haven't used monitors on there side like that, makes sense spacing the tweeters. Here's a closer look at the mess of pedals. Some I put together from kits which was pretty fun. Too many fuzz pedals at this point..
    Attached files

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I just got a Mu-Tron Phasor II:

next on the list is this:

• Ended up buying the Arturia someone recommended on here and love it. Other than the that, the ASR10 and MPC Ren, I got a lil SK1, Akai 614 4 track, a couple guitars and effects and percussion and shit not pictured. Been fucking around with a vintage music box and my daughter's toy piano.

Humble but works for me.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
     photo photo_zpsc7a65903.jpg

this has unfortunately been more of a research/learning rather than music studio lately. one of my biggest regrets of moving to NYC was having to get rid of all the synths and drum machines. definitely gonna work on rebuilding a setup since i should have more space and $$$ soon.

b/w

ty johnny for reminding me that i need to sell that keyboard

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Delay said:
    I've spent the last few months getting my new spot up and running. let's see some gear pron.

You got excellent taste in music D. Much luck & success to you and your space.

- Diego

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Delay: Yeah, all my cables are TRS. ANd I try to keep audio away from power, but with everything running through the Mbox Pro (which has a power cable of its own), there's no way to keep them completely isolated. But what's weird to me is that the cable to the left monitor goes past way more power cables and such, but there's zero noise in that one.

djwaxon said:
    Can the MBox run USB? And is the noise there when the hard drive is disconnected?

I feel like the Mbox has to be Firewire, but thinking about it a bit, it doesn't make sense that it would be restricted like that as long as it's connected, right? I'll disconnect the external drive and see what happens...I get wary of messing with the setup because as much as I love Pro Tools (and I do), it is really persnickety about this stuff--if any aspect of the setup changes, it freaks out, and it's a pain in the ass to get all the pieces to play nice with each other again. But I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the advice, all!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Enki: Do you have the hard drive chained through the mbox? Or directly to the computer? Have you tried a different fire wire cable? Is it a 400? Is it powered by the cable? If so try a power adapter.